Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: chemo hats

Blog Entries

Smile chemo hats

Good Morning

I'm have been searching the internet for sometime looking for patterns for chemo or other hats for a cancer patient. Have got one, but would like something more dressing, classy. Saw one called newsboy hat but I'm having trouble downloading it. Does anyone have a site that is easy to download. I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much

Marge

I see the newborn hats that women have make for my church's charity. Sometimes it is just a change of colors that really makes a hat POP. There is also a very complicated pom pom maker at JAF but once your catch on to the technique, they really come out perfect. So many of the tassel yarns are cute to add in. Good Luck.
    Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 10-28-2014 at 08:44 AM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I'm a bit confused. Are you wanting to make a quilted or sewn hat? Crocheted? Knitted? If crocheted/knitted, just about any pattern can be used, as long as you use a very soft yarn.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by love to quilt View Post
    Good Morning

I'm have been searching the internet for sometime looking for patterns for chemo or other hats for a cancer patient. Have got one, but would like something more dressing, classy. Saw one called newsboy hat but I'm having trouble downloading it. Does anyone have a site that is easy to download. I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much

Marge
    Just do a Google search for Creative Kindness Chemo Hat, and you will have enough free instructions to fill a notebook. Gail Brown and Nancy Zieman put out the book "Creative Kindness", to be found in most public libraries. Nancy Zieman also offers free downloads on her website.

A friend is making chemo hats for her sister. She said her sister said the hats are nice and soft. http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/spatt01.htm.

Quote Originally Posted by mudose8 View Post
    A friend is making chemo hats for her sister. She said her sister said the hats are nice and soft. http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/spatt01.htm.
    I made a lot of these for myself while I was having chemo. They are quick and easy to make, I made some out of fleece which kept me warm during the winter months. Also, I got autumn and Christmas fabrics and made them to dress my self up. Just lined them and embellished them, I got lots of compliments. Can be made to match any outfit and dress up the entire look. They can be made to fit any size head, that was my problem with buying hats, I have a little head.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mudose8 View Post
    This is the one I used for my friend who was having yet another round of chemo. They were so quick that I made her several to match her clothes. When she passed, her family had her buried wearing the pink one I sent her that I had attached my Avon pink ribbon pin to. It was her favorite. A very humbling moment when I saw it on her.

You can go to Goodwill to find small broaches or pins to attach to them for personality, since the fleece is four layers at the brim, no problem with her getting poked by them. You are a kind and wonderful person to do this.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for your help. I have made the top one in different colors and they turned out great. Hope you are doing well. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    My previous reply was (I thought) being directed to JRWilder. But I do want to thank everyone for your replies. It is good to be back with the Board again. You do have the answers. Thanks again.
    Marge

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne57 View Post
    Great site!! TY!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.