Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Childhood Games

I was addicted to Paper Dolls,,,had shoeboxes full of them.

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by mim
    I was also brought up in the country and small village -- we played something called mumbely peg and "war" -- a circle in the dirt and using a jackknife cut the circle into smaller and smaaller pieces -- the last one left was the winner. There were still lightening bugs when my boys were young to catch and try to read under the covers.

I think that with no long field grass left, they aren't surviving. sad !!!
    I agree about the lightning bugs. It's all the development taking over the fields. They have no where to breed anymore. We played freeze tag, Mother May I?, Simon Says, hopscotch, Jacks, climbed trees, and caught tadpoles at "The Big Ditch" which was really a stream until they paved the thing. Then, no more tadpoles or fish or turtles to catch.

Every one of these games sound so familar. I was a child in a coal camp and so there were lots of children. My folks were very strick holiness and they did not allow us to play with children whose parents smoked or used 'bad' words. So, I did the quite stuff alone, mostly. My favorite was to stand under the apple trees and try to catch the fallng apples in a basket. We had several tomato baskets that we used and in the fall we tried to see who could catch the most leaves. We pulled up daisies and chained them together to see who could make the longest chain before mom called for a mealtime. making mud pies and playing house, my husband was usually a chair and he would hold the baby while I fried the eggs! No video games nor tv shows back then.......pure imagination.

Di
    Ghosts in the Graveyard, flashlight tag, running through the sprinkler during the summer.

Also rode my bike everywhere. Had friends in the country that I would visit, not that the town I lived in was very big. But they lived a couple of miles from town.

Wow. What great memories.

I don't think things are that different today - I think it is the perception that the world is a more dangerous place. Faces on milk cartons, Amber Alerts, 24 hour news channels,we hear about it more and sooner.
    We had a child molester living across the street from us, I remember my mum sitting us down and explaining it to us. This was 50 years ago. Another kid who used to baby sit in the neighborhood was also a child molester.

We hear nowadays about how many millions of kids are "missing" every year - 99% of them are non-custodial parent abductions - not stranger abductions.

PS - how do you play Ghosts in the Graveyard - that sounds fun!

Plus there were no cell phones, so there was no way for parents to keep in touch with their kids 24/7 unless they kept them in sight.

I think kids today suffer greatly from being overly supervised and scheduled. Spontaneous, undirected play, is an important part of a kid's development. I cringe when I see 5 and 6 year olds on an organized sports team, what is wrong with just turning them loose in a field with a ball and letting them make something up?

j
    Thankfully my grandchildren today still have a farm to visit and live on bigger pieces of property. At my house I dont let them out of sight and even at the park. It really is sad. When I told my granddaughter I only had one doll, she said if I wanted I could take one of hers but not the big one. I am glad my children can still talk of those old days. Wonder what the children of today will say. - J

this has been a great thread. I read every one and memories came flooding back. I lived in the city (Syracuse) and remember the firemen opening the hydrants on hot days. The streets would fill with kids in the street. I can remember our "gang" made up of anyone we knew and found along the way and play. Wherever we wound up, their momwould make a snack and kool-aid.

Hopscotch, jumping rope and Lincoln Logs : )

Di
    Let me see if I can remember how to play ghosts in the graveyard. It's played at night, one person goes around the house and everyone else messes around doing whatever. When the person finishes going around the house, everyone else freezes. The first one to laugh when tickled has to be the one to go around the house.

We also played statues, where one person would give you a spin and however you landed, you had to stay that way.

It was the early Fifties, and we neighborhood children played "Korean War." Predictably, the boys were the soldiers, and the girls were the nurses. Our hospital was the open back of a furniture store delivery van that one of the dads drove home each evening. We also played endless games of baseball, in the side yard of some of the kids' grandparents. We picked mulberries for one of the grandmas who wanted to make a pie. Most of the mulberriesfrom that tree dropped to the sidewalk and made a purpley smashed mess! There were many games of hide-and-seek. Lots of card games. Canasta comes to mind. We played Monopoly too. We had a "house" set up in one girl's tiny basement storage room. Served many an invisible meal on little toy dishes. Ahhhh, good memories!

Blog Entries
    I have played just about everything else that was mentioned but never heard of Old Bloody Tom. How do you play that? I am always looking for something new for the GKs.

Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    anybody out there ever play "Old Bloody Tom" (with his nightgown on)? It was a favorite in our neighborhood.

Kick the Can
    Red Light, Green Light
    Mother May I?
    Freeze Tag
    Spud
    Horse - basketball
    $3.00 - baseball
    Buck Buck
    Flashlight Tag
    Red Rover
    4 Square

We were never in the house riding bikes thats all we ask for christmas,we played baseball, we had a club in the 60's we were young any little allounce we would put it together at the end of the year and had a christmas party.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestmary
    We were reminiscing over Christmas about traditions, etc. which led to talking about games we used to play as children - for me that would be back in the early 50's. Outdoor games like Annie Annie Over and Kick the Stick were favorites...not to mention all those jump rope rhymes. Ice skating in the wintertime always ended with a game of Crack the Whip - I always wanted to be one of the last ones to join up because you got to skate so fast :-D
    I'd love to hear of some of your memories....
    I never heard of any of those games and I grew up in the 50s too. Guess I was too busy playing Monopoly and Scrabble, which I love to this day but only after I quilt, LOL.

I used to roller skate in the cemetery, we also played 1-2-3 Red light and Giant Steps.

We mostly rode horses, we played tag on them, had sunflower fights (boy were we ever sticky when we came in). I played most of the games mentioned and I can remember playing Ring Around the Rosie (pocket full of posies). Aw makes me want to go out and play hahahaha

Blog Entries
    I've enjoyed reading all the responses - brought back many happy memories...the one common thread in almost all of them was the fact we all played outside - and that despite being from different parts of the country all basically played the same games. Ah, so much for reminiscing - back to reality and a little sewing!!

Quote Originally Posted by ufoqueen
    We would lay in the grass and stare up at the clouds and make images of them. Also try to scare each other with spooky stories. It's a shame kids can't be out after dark now, but you know, my parents and neighbors were all on their porches while we played outside after dark.
    This is one of my pet peeves...Builders killed front porches with attached garages that make people sit on patios or decks if they sit outside at all.When we lived in a developement that had a large open area and walking trails my husband remarked that you never saw kids out playing ball there. They had to go to Little League for a game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwynn
    We used to catch "lightning bugs" which is what we called fireflies. I was just asking why we never see those anymore.

We also played jacks, red rover, colored easter eggs, etc. outside allllll day long.

There's NO WAY I'd let my kids run the neighborhood today like we did, back then. It's a different world. Now we go to the Y and have play dates at the park, and such.

Speaking of fireflies, there are so few of them any more. I'm wondering if the use of so many pesticides and other chemicals isn't the reason. Just as we use to see birds in droves following the plow as the farmers plowed the fields in the spring. They were after all the earthworms. Now days they are gone because of all the chemicals used instead of good old fashion rotation of crops. Also, few fields are even plowed now days because of no-till. I'm positive most of you city people have no idea what I'm talking about, but the country people do. I'm not a farm girl myself, but most of my relatives were farmers and I lived in rural areas all my life. Sorry for ranting. Guess I felt I had to impart a bit of knowledge where it fit in. Marge

We use to play hop scotch and many card and board games. It was a wonderful time, of course we all complained about something, but looking back it was wonderful.

Super Member fleurdelisquilts.com's Avatar
    Our version of Ghost in the Graveyard was very much like tag. Everything in the yard was a grave. We'd hide behind the graves while the ghost counted. Then the ghost came looking for us. You had to stay behind the grave till the ghost called your name, then run like lightning back to base (the front porch steps). If the ghost caught you, you were the ghost next round. It's kinda scary running with a ghost chasing you when you can't see shrubs or holes or things that might take out your legs. I could run fast but was afraid there'd be a real ghost (yeah, I know) or that I'd fall on my face, which happened more than once. One time my sister ran into some holly bushes with stickers. She howled like a real ghost had caught her. I'm laughing to think of it, but at the time I had hidden far from the porch and couldn't see what was happening. I probably had an accident on myself.

By the way, that would have been #1, we were never allowed to say pee or poo (#2). (What a slap that would have been.) I was probably 12 before I heard the s-word the first time. I can hear momma, "Little ladies never say those words." (underline never)

Red Rover
    Mother May I
    Freeze
    Simon Says
    Time
    Potsey
    Ring-Alevio
    Boulders (marble game)
    Soda caps
    Jacks ( don't forget the Fansies!)

Grew up in the Rockaways. We were outside till dark all summer long playing these games.
    I have such great memories...I tried to teach some of these games to my kids and they really had NO interest. Those early 50's were the best!!!!

This may not be a game, but I grew up out in the country. With about 10 acres, mountain, three streams, two culverts, spring house and an old house/barn, we knew how to have fun. Our imagination ran wild. I cann't tell you how many dams we built. At school we played Red Rover alot.

Quote Originally Posted by janRN
    Does anyone remember Jacks? There was a small red ball and "star-like" pieces that you had to pick up while the ball was in the air. I haven't seen those in years. Great post-brought back lots of memories.
    It seems like we all played outside most of the time. I never see the kids in my neighborhood outdoors.
    JanRN, Jacks were a favorite in my day. I can remember playing with my mother on the hard kitchen table. You can't find those nice little balls anymore. The ones nowdays are hard little things that won't bounce.
    My bike was my favorite possession ever. I named it "Blue Star".
    Biggest difference about kids running the neighborhood now is that it isn't safe anymore. Sad.

I was born on a farm with 13 brothers and sisters. We had plenty to do. Mostly work, but some of that was fun. We played kick the Bar, which is like kick the can but you used a piece of an old bicycle tire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast