Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Christmas ideas

Blog Entries

Christmas ideas

Our village is collecting parcels for children in hospital during Christmas Day.

I am okay with ages 1,2,3, 4,5,6, and 13-18

My problem is 7-13 for both boys and girls. I have until 7th December to complete.

So far knitted jumper for 1 2 year olds 3,4, quilt pirates and fairies 5 6 a toy pirate ship and a doll dressing.
    13-18 quilts in bright colours black or white background.

Thought about a bag full of colouring pens etc for girls in 7-13 but no idea at all for boys which is quilted. Only intend to give one set presents purchased rest home made.

Thank you for your help I don't want to ask locally as I want the gifts to be anonymous to local villagers.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    How about pillowcases in funky prints for the teens, both boys and girls. I am doing the coin purses with a gift cards for the guys I don't know what to do for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How about small tote bags for them - or any size actually. You could also make fleece toboggans.
    We are making these for Occupational Christmas Child (if anyone has a yard of any kind of fabric, we would appreciate it.)

Seems like most kids have cell phones and/or ipad type devices. So, maybe bags/covers for those?
    Sally

Tote bags full of legos??
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Blog Entries
    Most 7-13 year old girls and boys would be interested in a creative gift. The colored pens would be perfect for both, and could be used for school projects also! (And who knows, you may just inspire the next Rembrandt...)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

A pretty covered journal. My GD age 10 loves to write and draw so having a special book to do that in is perfect.

I made these bags for my 8 & 10 year old great nephews. They loved them. Great for their small Gameboys or legos. They stay on while they skateboard. http://www.sewmamasew.com/2012/04/fa...-bag-tutorial/
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Blog Entries
    Thanks. For all the ideas I did think of pens but thought they would be too sissy for boys.when you know the child it is much easier than random bodies.

Boys of all ages, and a lot of girls love nerf guns. Small Lego kits, usually go over pretty well too. How about a tye dye kit with a couple of white shirts for the girls. The coverd journal idea is awesome if you want to kick it up add a set of colored gel pens. There are also book/kits you can buy on folding paper airplanes or origami those are really cool too.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I like the colored pens idea and perhaps you could include a large pad of drawing paper so the child could create and create. Both boys and girls like to doodle.

Pre-teen boys and girls also like simple craft kits, such as wooden birdhouses, leather crafts, rug hooking, etc. Quilts/blankets are good for all ages.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    very nice ideas, i like the pillowcase idea and u can make them with secret pockets.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    love the secret pocket idea.
    maybe some people on the board with sons or grandsons would be able to anser the question for you as to what they would want.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

At a book store there are Zen doodle books for drawing and drawing books. Type of pens are suggested in the zen books. Zen Doodle name is trademarked but other names in the genre are available and not so strict a discipline.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adamae View Post
    At a book store there are Zen doodle books for drawing and drawing books. Type of pens are suggested in the zen books. Zen Doodle name is trademarked but other names in the genre are available and not so strict a discipline.
    I use the zen books to inspire freemotion quilting just never thought about children. Thank you one and all for the ideas . I have a selection to use . Just need plenty of time.

Blog Entries
    that's a great idea for my soon to be 25 yo son. something to keep people busy when they
    don't know what to do with themselves.

Hey maybe I should get one for myself
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.