Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Christmas Tea favors ideas?

I am in charge of coming up with a favor for our Women's Christmas Tea at church. We will need 600 of them, so they need to be easy and inexpensive to make. I had vague thoughts of sewing a million tea bags (little fabric bags that we could put a special tea bag in - like from Celestial Seasonings - and include a little tag with the theme bible verse on it), but do we really want to sew 600 of them. Then again if we start now...

Any ideas would be appreciated. TIA!

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Yikes, I don't know but I bet I would end up buying something :(
    I do like that saying about women don't know how strong they are until they are in hot water or something like that...

Now that's some tea party ... 600 people!! WOW!!!!!

Could you get a bunch of people together and make them together? Probably wouldn't take long if you had some cutting, some sewing, some pressing .........

Could you get a specialty tea shop to donate the tea?

At times I've seen little organza bags with ribbon draw strings at the $ $tore that'd be perfect for your purpose.

From the other perspective .... do they "need" a take home gift?

Put your tea bags in those little key sized envelopes from an office store, and affix decorative labels run off on your computer and printer.

I made "Russian tea" with Tang for my teachers at Xmas. You could do that & put it into little jars.

Upton Tea has some really nice winter/spice teas that would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Now that's some tea party ... 600 people!! WOW!!!!!

Could you get a bunch of people together and make them together? Probably wouldn't take long if you had some cutting, some sewing, some pressing .........

Could you get a specialty tea shop to donate the tea?

At times I've seen little organza bags with ribbon draw strings at the $ $tore that'd be perfect for your purpose.

From the other perspective .... do they "need" a take home gift?
    We always do some kind of favor. Last year it was a Lindt white chocolate in tulle with ribbon holding the verse. Being a sewer, I was looking for something different and sewing related.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingme
    Put your tea bags in those little key sized envelopes from an office store, and affix decorative labels run off on your computer and printer.
    Hmmm...there's an idea. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    I made "Russian tea" with Tang for my teachers at Xmas. You could do that & put it into little jars.

Upton Tea has some really nice winter/spice teas that would be good.
    Thanks for the tip!

Blog Entries
    http://needlingthings.blogspot.com/2...d-catcher.html

How about these, you could put sugar and creamer packets in them also.

Quote Originally Posted by PegD

Too cute! I may have to make one just for me. LOL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PegD

Good idea! i just made one of these the other day and the possibilites are endless! My sister said to put hershey kisses in them for co workers!

Blog Entries
    The thread catchers are nice, they are time consuming. I made a few the other day and ended up giving them to my nurse manager at work, as a knick-knack holder! They don't use a lot of fabric! You would need 1800 buttons though!

What about a mug rug for the cups. They could be made with scraps and wouldn't take long to make.

Power Poster
    Someone posted pictures of "suckers" made with a yo yo, sucker stick and the top in a little platic bag. You could put a ribbon to put on the tree or a magnet for the fridge. They were really cute and if you got a production line going, not too hard. The triangle thread catcher someone posted with her Sweet n Low in, would be cute with the pre-packaged single special tea bags in. Make one triangle thread catcher per table and fill with enough packages for each person.

Blog Entries
    It will be hard to find something nice for under a $1 and that will be $600. Do you have an old scrap quilt or can find one that is really no good except for cutting up? Cut heart shapes about 3" big from the quilt. Starch and press the cut out hearts. Put a lot of the cut hearts on fusible med. weight interfacing and fuse to the back. Cut around the interfacing. Hot glue to the back on the interfacing a brooch pin. Pin the heart inside a blank note card with a quote about friendship or a bible verse. I discovered it's easier to print the quote on labels and stick the labels on the card instead of printing the card or handwriting it.

For our Womens' tea a few years ago, we made coasters. We made the ones with 5 squares. You fold four of them in half and weave them. Stitch all around and turn. They are pretty easy to make and the women loved them.

You could always make chocolate covered spoons to be used to flavor coffee. You use plastic spoons, dip them in either regular or white dipping chocolate, put spoon aside until the chocolate hardens. Cover the hardened chocolate part of the spoon with saran wrap or colored plastic wrap and finish up by tying bow around the wrap to secure. The spoon is later used to flavor coffee by just placing it in a cup of hot coffee and stirring.

600 favors seem almost impossible. How about printing bookmarks? You could find some cute clipart, free I'm sure on net. Then you could get a nice quote (possibly the one about strong women). You could set up your own template and print probaby five, maybe six or seven, per sheet of cardstock. You could use colored cardstock if you want. If you have time and a number of helpers you could use a hole punch near bottom and add a simple yarn tasseel. There are a number of wonderful quotes about tea if you google " tea quotes."...However, that is still an awful lot of work. Printing it all in black would save money. Just use a nice typeface. Another idea would be to print up recipe cards, possibly for teacakes or tea breads.

Quote Originally Posted by BETTY62
    You could always make chocolate covered spoons to be used to flavor coffee. You use plastic spoons, dip them in either regular or white dipping chocolate, put spoon aside until the chocolate hardens. Cover the hardened chocolate part of the spoon with saran wrap or colored plastic wrap and finish up by tying bow around the wrap to secure. The spoon is later used to flavor coffee by just placing it in a cup of hot coffee and stirring.
    I think they did that a few years ago. It was a big hit. :D

Quote Originally Posted by marymm
    600 favors seem almost impossible. How about printing bookmarks? You could find some cute clipart, free I'm sure on net. Then you could get a nice quote (possibly the one about strong women). You could set up your own template and print probaby five, maybe six or seven, per sheet of cardstock. You could use colored cardstock if you want. If you have time and a number of helpers you could use a hole punch near bottom and add a simple yarn tasseel. There are a number of wonderful quotes about tea if you google " tea quotes."...However, that is still an awful lot of work. Printing it all in black would save money. Just use a nice typeface. Another idea would be to print up recipe cards, possibly for teacakes or tea breads.
    Hmmm...another great idea. Thanks so much! :D

Blog Entries
    A few years ago I had to make quite a few favors for the Christmas church "social". After racking my brain for so long, and loosing time thinking I finally recruited a few of the other women and we made simple white origami doves and stars, put a string at the top and gave them as ornaments.

Each volunteer helper purchased the origami paper (told which to buy so all would match). That way no one person has to put out all the money.

They looked so beautiful on the table.

How about sugar cube crosses held together with a small amount of frosting between the cubes?

Sewing wise how about mug rugs?

Another idea is to make pasta angels ornaments (sorry no sewing with these).

Quote Originally Posted by marymm
    If doing book marks, you could have them laminated for minimal cost. And perhaps someone would have access to a laminator thru their business or network, and do them for free? Or an office supply place might do them free, or reduced cost?