Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Party Favors.

Junior Member Retiredandquilting's Avatar

Ideas for Party Favors.

I need some advice. I threw a surprise birthday party for my Mother's 85th birthday, inviting all of her friends from the small Senior Community that she lives in. For favors, I did sachets, using my 5" square scraps. I made 60 of them (two for each attendee). They loved them!

The ladies in community loved this party and had a great time. So my 2 friends who helped me arrange and execute the last party, want to do it again. No Birthday required, just a party. So we have decided on a winter celebration, with a baked spiral ham and all the fixings, to be held on January 11, 2015. I am thinking about potholders this time, for favors. I have to start these soon, to get 35-40 of them done in time. So here are my questions:

(1) Is there something that you think would be more appropriate than potholders? These women all have their own apartments, complete with kitchens. I want it to be something functional, because their apartments are small and there is not a lot of room to spare. I thought of dishtowels, with a fabric strip sewn on; but even at $1 a piece, that is a $35-40 expense.

(2) What is a safe filler, that will indeed protect their delicate hands, but will not be too bulky for arthritic hands to grab on to. Keep in mind that we are trying to keep our expenses low, since we are paying for all of this between the 3 of us.

I look forward to hearing your ideas. I have lots of fabric and lots of batting, so any ideas that don't require me to purchase much, would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

Is a party favor necessary especially when there isn't a special occasion? I would think that a wonderful meal would be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
    Is a party favor necessary especially when there isn't a special occasion? I would think that a wonderful meal would be enough.
    Certainly not necessary; but we thought it might be a nice touch.
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

I love the pot grabbers. My DH bought me some one year for Christmas. They are like a pot holder but shaped like a heart and have a place to slide your hand into on the back of the pot holder, made out of two separate pieces of fabric folded over so it is a double layer on the back side of your hand.

Blog Entries
    everyone could use a small fabric box/bowl to put little do dads or hard candy in. or a pretty mug rug. or a quilted postcard for them to mail to a friend?
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I think a mug rug might be a good idea. It could be seasonal, winter on one side and spring/summery on the other.

Power Poster
    How about a pretty placemat. My elderly mother has a tiny apartment and loves to change out her placemat for a little splash of colour on her table. She doesn't do any cooking on the stove now just ready made microwave dinners.

Blog Entries
    for the placemats, 100% cotton is good, use old jeans or wool from a thrift store,two or three layers of jeans is great, just by themselves and frayed edges. old wool coats for an insulation layer on quilted fabrics. a coat could probably get you about 20 potholders. maybe you can find something stained and get it cheaper.
    Those microwave bowls too. evenif you just microwave, you need to wash dishes and could use a pot holder or towel.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I make the fabric tissue holders, uses two pieces of fabric, and of course the travel tissue. Go to the search area here I think there is information here as to the size of fabric to it. But also Pinyerest has the information that is where I got it from.......calla

Cute refrigerator magnets would be fun. Use a magnet that's strong enough to hold papers, etc.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

I agree with a mug rug or a fun placement.
    Lori

Pillow cases might be a nice idea.

What about those little microwave mitts?

There are microwave bowls that are nice for hot cereal or soup...never have to touch that hot bowl. They can also be used for cold dishes like ice cream or cereal. They are made much like a potholder but with some darts that create the bowl shape. Just Google Fabric Microwave Bowls.
    Live Simply, Laugh Often and Love Deeply.
    Jean

Power Poster
    Mug rugs might be nice.

Ladies: - Thank you so much! What wonderful ideas! I am going to google those microwave bowls and small boxes! Thanks again!
    Sue In Bloomfield, NY

My older friends are not doing much cooking and would like a treat of candy or something like that. I can speak from experience as I am 88 myself. Pot holders are a lot of work and I never use them in my kitchen. I am still living in my big house with only the help of my cat and she doesn't help much!

Quote Originally Posted by justme CA View Post
    My older friends are not doing much cooking and would like a treat of candy or something like that. I can speak from experience as I am 88 myself. Pot holders are a lot of work and I never use them in my kitchen. I am still living in my big house with only the help of my cat and she doesn't help much!
    I'm certain my mom would agree with you! At 89 years, she already has more than enough pot holders, towels, and general knick-knacks. She'd go for the candy, for sure!
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredandquilting View Post
    I need some advice. I threw a surprise birthday party for my Mother's 85th birthday, inviting all of her friends from the small Senior Community that she lives in. For favors, I did sachets, using my 5" square scraps. I made 60 of them (two for each attendee). They loved them!

The ladies in community loved this party and had a great time. So my 2 friends who helped me arrange and execute the last party, want to do it again. No Birthday required, just a party. So we have decided on a winter celebration, with a baked spiral ham and all the fixings, to be held on January 11, 2015. I am thinking about potholders this time, for favors. I have to start these soon, to get 35-40 of them done in time. So here are my questions:

(1) Is there something that you think would be more appropriate than potholders? These women all have their own apartments, complete with kitchens. I want it to be something functional, because their apartments are small and there is not a lot of room to spare. I thought of dishtowels, with a fabric strip sewn on; but even at $1 a piece, that is a $35-40 expense.

(2) What is a safe filler, that will indeed protect their delicate hands, but will not be too bulky for arthritic hands to grab on to. Keep in mind that we are trying to keep our expenses low, since we are paying for all of this between the 3 of us.

I look forward to hearing your ideas. I have lots of fabric and lots of batting, so any ideas that don't require me to purchase much, would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    bOWL KOOZIES ARE VERY NICE FOR THE MICROWAVE

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    everyone could use a small fabric box/bowl to put little do dads or hard candy in. or a pretty mug rug. or a quilted postcard for them to mail to a friend?
    GREAT ideas!

Something to consider about the fabric items--if they get soiled quickly/often, what about the laundry issue. Am not even 70 yet but we can make a small mess when food meets fabric.
    Anything small that will be useful, how about a soft emery board in a fabric case, I was gifted one and like it. Only cost would be the emery board unless you can find someone to donate them, mine is from a quilt store, good advertizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Cute refrigerator magnets would be fun. Use a magnet that's strong enough to hold papers, etc.
    At any office supply store you can find packs of rectangular magnets that have adhesive on one side. They are business card size and very strong. They are made to attach your business cards to as a promotion but I use them to make mini collages to decorate not just the fridge but also as cubical décor to brighten up file cabinets and such. Perhaps if you don't want to make a collage you could use photo's cut to size so they could have a mini album on the fridge or any metal appliance. You could ask them to give you a copy of a favorite photo and with a little cropping and maybe some photo enhancements, even scraps and trims they could create their own as a little craft project.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Quote Originally Posted by kellen46 View Post
    At any office supply store you can find packs of rectangular magnets that have adhesive on one side. They are business card size and very strong. They are made to attach your business cards to as a promotion but I use them to make mini collages to decorate not just the fridge but also as cubical décor to brighten up file cabinets and such. Perhaps if you don't want to make a collage you could use photo's cut to size so they could have a mini album on the fridge or any metal appliance. You could ask them to give you a copy of a favorite photo and with a little cropping and maybe some photo enhancements, even scraps and trims they could create their own as a little craft project.
    What a brilliant idea! I'm going to pass this along to my daughter, who's an elementary teacher. This would make a fantastic project, for her class.
    Neesie

~Richard Dawkins

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I agree the microwave bowls are always a good idea. We use them a lot. The small cube boxes are cute and great to hold candies etc. they both use scraps like 10 to 16 in squares and are quick! Lovely of u to brighten their day

Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    What a brilliant idea! I'm going to pass this along to my daughter, who's an elementary teacher. This would make a fantastic project, for her class.
    Thanks Neesie, for you kind words. Maybe you can remember a few years ago when artist trading cards were popular. I did an online swap with an collage artist group of these mini collage magnets. While I was living in cubical land I had my file cabinets well decorated and lots of my co-workers wanted ones of their own so I did a mini lesson during a lunch hour. The nice part is you can use lots of scrap papers as the format is so small. I recommend Elmers craft glue, not school glue, for adhering additional bits or you could use stickers for decoration. Another popular thing was making name plates out of scrabble tiles and the wooden tile holders. You can buy additional tiles and holders from Hasbroro Toys online for not a lot of dollars. For long names I would glue the tiles to a wooden ruler and then rest it in a holder. I gave everything a coat of wood stain to make it a bit richer looking. For gluing use E6000 which is easy to get in any craft supply department. Also if you had some funky tiles from some other games such as boggle you could glue them to a plastic ruler for a more eccentric look. Check in thrift shops and dollar stores for inspiration. These would make great Mom or Dad Day gifts, especially for those who work in cubical land. Have a happy crafty or quilty time.
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast