Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Cleaning a computer keyboard >

Cleaning a computer keyboard

Cleaning a computer keyboard

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Never heard of that but it sounds like a great thing to keep the keyboard clean.
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wendiq View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned "canned air". I read about using this somewhere and it is wonderful. I slant the board when I spray and the crumbs all blow off. I also use my Swiffer to dust. Other than that, it's not very dirty.....
I use canned air (one of the greatest inventions of all time IMHO) on mine, too. Plus I just turn my lap top over & shake it. Mine gets so full of dog hair (like every other square inch of my house). I think I may take an alcohol towelette & wipe the keys down, too.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 AM

I have some giant tweezers (I think they are for applique?) anyway, when I am bored - I will use those tweezers to pick the bunnies out - I think I found a small cat in there (at least it seemed like it with all the hair) - you can really get under the key very well with this device - its amazing how much crud gets inside the keyboard.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM

My daughter works in IT department a large private collage and she told me to use 90% rubbing alchol and a q-tip to clean around keys. Takes awhile to clean it, but it works really well.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM

I used canned air on my old keyboard and it left a greasy 'film' that attracts dust. On my new keyboard I just turn it upside down and give it a good tap on my desk and use my Swiffer duster.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:17 PM

I always use rubbing alcohol to clean the keys. I don't have many crumbs since I dislike eating while typing. I have a remote keyboard so I take the batteries out of it. On my laptop I unplug it and take the battery out.

I have an issue with my laptop, I think I've cleaned it too often, it's like the pads are dry beneath the keys, they get stuck and "click" now, and they do not pop off like PC keyboard keys. I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate them, like contact cleaner + silicone spray or something?
Old 08-01-2012, 12:19 PM

I also got smart and bought a keyboard cover on ebay. It makes the keyboard on my laptop "softer" and easier to use, and I don't have to clean it as much. I just spray the cover with vinegar and baking soda, let it sit for a while, rinse it and let it dry.

I mean I take it off the laptop and wash it, both sides.

Last edited by CAS49OR; 08-01-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Cleaning Computer Keyboard

Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Hi.
How do you clean your keyboard?
Mine seems to always have dust on the keys and in all the little crevices.
------------------------------------------------
Mine always has my white Himalayan cat fur in it, masses of it since she walks across the keyboard
and cries because I'm neglecting her. So I use a slightly curved eye lash brush which cleans it out nicely.
And horrifies me at how much she is shedding, but she hates to be brushed.

For further cleaning I use a plastic handled gum brush that really does clean out the remainder, even
after using the lash brush.

Darn cat!!~If I didn't love her so much I'd...well, not much I guess. Just keep on cleaning the keyboard.
Might even get a plastic cover for it, but she never goes near it till I'm on the computer.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks again for all the replies.
You've been very helpful.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM

I actually found information on how to lubricate the sticky keys! I don't know if this works for PC keyboards or just laptops:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2107252_fix-...ptop-keys.html

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I always use rubbing alcohol to clean the keys. I don't have many crumbs since I dislike eating while typing. I have a remote keyboard so I take the batteries out of it. On my laptop I unplug it and take the battery out.

I have an issue with my laptop, I think I've cleaned it too often, it's like the pads are dry beneath the keys, they get stuck and "click" now, and they do not pop off like PC keyboard keys. I'm wondering if there is a way to lubricate them, like contact cleaner + silicone spray or something?