Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Closet Month: Want to Join me? >

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 PM

I will join you. My first closet will be the primary one in my dressing room. I say primary as I have overflowed to several other areas. I lived at least 60 years with half a large closet and I was fine. Now I have several overflowing - not shared. It is ridiculous. My body has changed shape since cancer (January) and change of medications, so I really need to purge clothes with a waistline. I have a wedding to go to Saturday - grandmother of bride. I'd love to wear my red lace dress, but I know better than to try it on - too depressing.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:10 PM

I just took 3 big trash bags to the local hospital thrift store. So glad its gone.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM

Irishrose--Congratulations to your granddaughter. I'm sure she is beyond delighted to have you at her wedding.

Our bodies change, for sure, and disease will do that quicker than anything. I'm sorry cancer has taken its toll on you as well. But I'm glad you are in the closet club to get rid of whatever things are weighing on you in other ways.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by DACO48 View Post
I just took 3 big trash bags to the local hospital thrift store. So glad its gone.
Good for you! That's a great feeling. Do you have more--are you joining us for more closet purging?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:34 AM

So far I have organized my dresses, hubby's and my shoes, and my purses, with things purged, hangers tossed or donated, the rod dusted, floor vacuumed. From my dad's house, I took about 20 pcs of clothes out of my mom's closet to sell or give away. My dad also found 3 articles of clothing of his to give away.

Today I'm feeling lazy but I will get back to the closet work for at least 1/2 hour.

How's everyone doing with their closet of choice?

Last edited by zozee; 09-14-2019 at 10:35 AM. Reason: finish the sentence:)
Old 09-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Great job on the closets!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617392[/ATTACH]

Do I qualify for a re-do?

I received this pic in a text from DD. "Mommm, what do I do??"

Her dad and I took everything out, installed new uprights, brackets, and shelves. I used 75# wall anchors to secure the whole system. She gained extra space with double hanging rods. All is well. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails img_1447.jpeg  
Old 09-14-2019, 06:36 PM

This was her "before" shot of her closet? Lucky daughter to have you and her dad to redo it! Do you have an "after" photo of it yet?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:42 AM

Zozee,

She sent me a video so I don't have pictures. The "before" on the back wall was changed to 2 full shelves across the back for 12 feet hanging. Long dresses hang on left side wall. The other side of closet is double hung again for another 6 feet of hanging.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:35 PM

Spent another hour and a half itemizing my bedroom closet items for donation, bagging them as I went. Purged a few summer tops that are, fortunately, too big.

I’m enjoying this process because I’m not trying to do it all in a day.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Yes, zo, not doing it all at once is a big help to me as well. Had to run to town. At the Dollar Tree, I picked up a couple of lidded smaller plastic bins that will fit nicely on a shelf. Actually they were in the kitchen section and for food storage (13.5 cups). Later found some "S" hooks that will work on one of my shelving units. I can hang my metal mesh baskets at one end of my shelf for more storage. They were hanging on the walls and I don't have that much wall space in this room. An LED shop light found its way into my cart...all the better to see with! My basement has unfinished ceilings and I can hang this from the stringers very easily. Sometimes it's just easier if I do things myself. Guess where I'm going now?