Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Closet Month: Want to Join me? >

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Old 09-24-2019, 02:35 AM

Zozee, like you, September continues to be just as warm here in Maine as it was in July. We had a few chilly nights but yesterday it climbed to 85 degrees. Needless to say we did not paint outdoors yesterday but we did get a bunch of shrubs trimmed around apartment building #3 which will get painted this week. Last week we finished two buildings but got nothing else done so we decided to tackle one a week.

This morning I am going to clean out our chest freezer in the basement...hard telling what’s been buried in there over the past year (or two).
Old 09-25-2019, 10:09 AM

I hauled 7 large bags of clothing in to work with me today! mostly clothing worn very little that I "outgrew" long ago.

Now I can start moving the quilts from off the floor in the closet under the stairs. That closet is cedar lined, but it means crawling around to get at things. Much more suited to storing things you don't need often, and don't plan on showing anyone!
Old 09-25-2019, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I hauled 7 large bags of clothing in to work with me today! mostly clothing worn very little that I "outgrew" long ago.

Now I can start moving the quilts from off the floor in the closet under the stairs. That closet is cedar lined, but it means crawling around to get at things. Much more suited to storing things you don't need often, and don't plan on showing anyone!
Whoop! Whoop! I knew you'd do it, once you got your mind made up. So happy for you. 7 large bags--wow. That's gotta feel good to have outta your life.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:21 AM

I wasn't ready to join you when you first posted, but after mopping my pantry floor and finding things in there that did not belong in the pantry or that I no longer used, I'm ready to get down to business. I have a few more closets to do then I'm going to do my kitchen cabinets and a couple of junk drawers. Thanks for the inspiration. Looks like lots of us have joined you in the great closet clean up.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
I wasn't ready to join you when you first posted, but after mopping my pantry floor and finding things in there that did not belong in the pantry or that I no longer used, I'm ready to get down to business. I have a few more closets to do then I'm going to do my kitchen cabinets and a couple of junk drawers. Thanks for the inspiration. Looks like lots of us have joined you in the great closet clean up.
Welcome to the club—ir whatever this group is. The Closeteers?!
Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 AM

Just checking in . Yesterday I finished my master bedroom closet and am very pleased. I think in the future I'll do it the same way: the upper part in the spring, lower part in the fall. It kept the job from being overwhelming.

The upper part is all keepsakes (journals, photo albums, greeting cards I treasure, baby books, kids' cute stuff they made that are extra special, etc). It also has hubby's treasures which I respectfully don't purge without asking.

The lower part consists of hanging clothes, shoes, luggage, camera equipment, and purses.

Or at least that's the ideal. Throughout the year, the closet can become a mausoleum for indecision. ("Just throw it in the closet," "I don't know if I should keep this card," "I'll decide if I want this purse next season." You know the drill.) If I simply make decisions as I go, and am really ruthless with myself about clutter, it helps.

Tell us how your closet month is going. You have today and tomorrow to complete a closet job.

I'm going to work on the linen closet tomorrow. My sewing room closet? Not gonna happen till October.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:32 PM

I hope to work on clearing out the clothes I don't/can't wear in October. I find I like the newer, longer shirts and sweaters so am planning on ditching a lot. Did this last spring with summer clothes. I hear you about the sizing issues - I have 3 sizes of clothes depending on the maker and they all fit the same. I have started taking a tape measure with me when I go shopping so I only take things to try on that I know have a chance of fitting.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

The closet under the stairs is ready for Christmas items. GSon took card table and chairs down this morning as they are also going in there. Now to find room for the things I took out--yikes. But if I get the Christmas stuff all moved...going to delete unwanted Christmas items...but that can wait until Tuesday!
Old 09-29-2019, 05:12 PM

Finished large closet in the bathroom - three bags for recycling! This week is too busy to tear apart the other cupboards but maybe this weekend.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I hope to work on clearing out the clothes I don't/can't wear in October. I find I like the newer, longer shirts and sweaters so am planning on ditching a lot. Did this last spring with summer clothes. I hear you about the sizing issues - I have 3 sizes of clothes depending on the maker and they all fit the same. I have started taking a tape measure with me when I go shopping so I only take things to try on that I know have a chance of fitting.
I'm the same way. The tunic length tops look and feel best on me. I purged a lot of tops that just don't "hit" at the right place. Hate to be tugging and fiddling with my clothes and being self-conscious about what might show if I stretch or bend too much a certain way.

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
The closet under the stairs is ready for Christmas items. GSon took card table and chairs down this morning as they are also going in there. Now to find room for the things I took out--yikes. But if I get the Christmas stuff all moved...going to delete unwanted Christmas items...but that can wait until Tuesday!
Good! Get rid of the Christmas stuff you don't love. I purged an entire Rubbermaid tote's worth this past Christmas. If it held no sentimental value or I was tired of it for whatever reason, out it went! No regrets.

Originally Posted by my-ty View Post
Finished large closet in the bathroom - three bags for recycling! This week is too busy to tear apart the other cupboards but maybe this weekend.
Good for you! That must feel so much cleaner and look neater and bigger. Aaaah.