Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Closet Month: Want to Join me? >

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Closet Month: Want to Join me?

Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Oksew-- sounds like you're making good progress and decisions about better organization.

ANyone else have an update on your closet work?

Today was a light day for me. I purged a stack of board games (never play) in the smaller guest room closet, and made room for some luggage that had been hogging floor space in the master closet. Why did I wait so long to do that?

Tomorrow I'll be back at my dad's, going through stuff to give away. Seems a never ending task between his house and ours.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
Tomorrow I'll be back at my dad's, going through stuff to give away. Seems a never ending task between his house and ours.
Yes but when you get tired of looking at one "mess" you can switch gears and go over to the other "mess"...I don't know about you, but when I'm 'organizing', it's a mess!
Old 09-18-2019, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post

ANyone else have an update on your closet work?
I completely cleaned out my closet and dresser drawers at my summer home. I made a pile of items worthy of donation and one of trash. I got rid of things I haven’t worn in years...

We haven’t quite moved back to our winter home on a full time basis but I will jump into my closet once we get some outdoor painting done. DH and I own 10 apartment buildings (40 units in all) and we decided to try to get 5 of the buildings painted this fall so we finished one already this week and hope to get a second one done as the weather has been great.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:26 PM

I live in an old farmhouse and we don't have a closet for the master bedroom. Instead I have a wardrobe in my office. It holds quite a bit, and I've not worn anything in there for years. That is mostly because none of it fits, but by now a lot of it is so out of style I probably wouldn't wear it even if I did somehow manage to loose weight.

I've been thinking it would make a really nice quilt storage area, if I could get up the motivation to deal with it.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:07 PM

Oksew--you're right on both counts. When I get tired of one, I can switch to the other. And organizing can certainly create a new, temporary mess (at least ideally temporary).

Today I organized his cleaning closet. By that, I mean, mine--since I'm his cleaning lady. Haha. It has needed it for years (long before my mom passed) but it was neat enough not to grab her attention, and if it bothered her, she was too sick to do anything about it. We didn't realize how much sickness she kept to herself, but she spent a lot of time resting. Anyway, I was never one to tell her how to clean or organize her house (no one wants unsolicited advice, and she was very clean and organized--she just kept too much stuff. Neatly stacked, well-organized, abundant stuff. LOL)

I threw out one large black trash bag of expired lotions, potions, and poisons. There was a bottle of sunscreen she had labeled "purch'ed in 1997." Okay, that one made me laugh out loud. 22 year old sunscreen. It's older than my last child! Threw out 5 swiffer-type handlheld dusters--how many does one person need? Old undershirts she used for rags. I don't. I use microfiber cloths. And can I just say that if you or any of your 189 closest friends of any age happen to need a Band-aid, call me. I'll mail you one. My mom was a nurse and a grandmother. Say no more.

My dad was thrilled when he picked up the trash bag and carried it to the garage trash can. "This is progress!" he exclaimed, and proceeded to pay me 70 bucks. No, no, no. I will not take that much money for 2 hours. He says "but you might be taking grandchildren out to dinner soon. You're gonna need it." I say, "My grandchildren are ten months old. They have 4 teeth each. It's not like we'd be taking them to Outback." I let him pay me 40.

Last edited by zozee; 09-18-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-18-2019, 04:31 PM

Jmoore--that's a lot of work to paint, especially exterior. My husband and I bought and rented a house to our son and his wife for a year, then flipped it and sold it. (Bought with the intention of only holding on to it for a year, and reinvesting in another flip.) Not 3 months into the year, DH had to have open-heart surgery, and that put the kibosh on rehabbing the house for several months. Even though my son and his wife were perfect tenants, my handy hubby decided he really didn't care to be on call. He would reconsider if we had a property manager.

Cathy-- Your quilts would do very well being stored in a large wardrobe. I say go for it! Pull out and bag everything for donation or trash, as much as you can, in 15 minutes. Bet that motivates to get the whole thing done. Just start. And give yourself an out by setting that timer. You'll accomplish a lot more than you think in 15 minutes, and it'll feel so good to get those old clothes out the door.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:05 AM

Your motivation is contagious. I hate the organizing process but love the results.

This weekend, I have decided to clean/organize my main bathroom cabinets. I hope I don't find any ancient sun screen but I might!

Last edited by my-ty; 09-19-2019 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:21 PM

Today was a day off from decluttering any closet. I needed it. I took my Golden Retriever to the groomer and he lost 3 pounds of hair, I'm sure. That counts as clutter, right? He had more hair than he could use or take care of his own, and he kept offering it to us. He apparently thinks we should wear his hair on our legs, butts, backs and ears.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Tomorrow is the day for the final push of my master bedroom closet adventure. It’s still too hot to take all my summer clothes and put all to my fall and winter in. But I’ve pared it down to just a few summer outfits to last me. Really all that’s left to sort are the unmentionables. After that I’m calling it done.

How are you closet purgers doing? Give us a report!
Old 09-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

I'm sewing on a UFO sampler quilt...when I finish it will make a big dent in my WIC as it takes up a lot of space. It will be a while. It's the 365 3"/6" block challenge and I have about 1/4 of it done.

I'm not ready to take out the summer clothes either, zo.