Clothesline memories!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM

Ditter, That topic is a hoot. I LOVE to hang clothes on the line. Everyone teases me. They say they never saw anyone get so excited to hang clothes out on a nice sunny day in Winter. I saw that poem a while ago and never cut it out so now I got it. Thanks for the topic.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 AM

In 1969, after Hurricane Camille, I hung my record albums on the clothesline to dry from the water inside the house. I still have those albums with the water line on the bottom.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 AM

Oh my yes, I remember the clotheline! My favorite part about the whole thing was smelling the fresh linens as they came off the lines...you can't get that in a bottle, no matter what they say! Thank you for taking me down memory lane a bit this morning...
Old 04-11-2011, 06:22 AM

have jeans on the line now just don't like to hear them in the dryer. with four boys that lots of noise. nothing like gone bed with sheet fresh off the line. Thank for the poem it was great.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Love to hang my clothes on the line, especially sheets :lol:
Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 AM

I am in my 70s and continue to hang clothes. My favorite time to go to bed is Monday night's since the sheets smell so fresh and, no, I do not iron my sheets and pillow cases--they go immediately from the clothesline to the bed. I still hang the socks facing in the same direction (by the toes) and hang whites with whites and colors with colors (all shirts together and all pants together). It may sound crazy to some people but all I have known my whole life is "clothesline hung clothes." My roommates and I even hung clothes when we lived in an apartment in Arlington, VA. I dread Mondays when it rains (only day I do bedding). I will dry the sheets in the dryer but hang the pillow cases and let them dry inside so that my "nose" can still nestle in the good-smelling pillow cases. :D
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM

I still hang out my towels and sheets when possible, I just love the smell of these things. Some times I hang other things also. Hey, it helps with the electric bill, and gives me some excersize.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:47 AM

I remember my grandmother hanging our clothes out when I was little. I still hang clothes out in nice weather from early spring until late fall. I love linens hung outside and I like to save money by NOT running the dryer. My niece came and saw the clothes dryer in the yard and said AUNT MARGIE you dont hang your underwear outside do you...that made me laugh. WIth the way young people dress today(half the time you can see a good bit of their underwear) that they would think it embarrassing for people to see clothes hanging on a line. lol
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Lady
I also remember the curtain stretchers. If you had any lace curtains they had to be put on the stretchers. Of course, you had sore fingers when you got through, but you sure didn't have to iron the curtains. Oh, how I hated those things. I still hang some laundry on the line now and love it. They smell so good.
Oh, boy, do I remember those stretchers! So many sore fingers, but those curtains were ready to be re-hung once dried. And my mom washed those sheers often! :D
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM

My dad had the clothsline extra high so when I started hanging (at age 7) while mom washed in the wringer washer I had to use a step stool and move it along as I went.
I remember in the winter hanging the cloths and when they froze going out with a baseball bat and knocking off the frozen ice, that was freeze drying.
Now in some Home Owner's Associations you are not allowed to have a clothsline because it is "unsightly".
Maybe we should all rethink a clothsline, save money and a little of the environment.
I once had a neighbor who called it a solar dryer.