Clothesline memories!

Old 04-11-2011, 07:35 AM

Your tales are such a loot! I sometimes copy, paste & send to friends.
I dooo remember hanging on clothesline. Still have the posts in the backyard but don't use & do miss the fresh smell. I have a pic of me when I was about 6, standing on a washtub with boots on at the clothesline. Kids today think the old ways were so oldfashioned! But U know some of the old remedies are coming back? Some old wife's tales have some truth...
Have U found that kids can't believe that some of the devices today did'nt exist in our time?

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM

I still like to hang some of our clothing and sheets on the line, of course it is weather permitting where I live :D
Old 04-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Oh yes, the ringer machines, bluing, two rinse waters, and you had to wash the clothes in a certain order, dirty work clothes last. And that darling 'clothes pin bag' that you slid along the clothes line that held the pins. And then the pins themselves, that was an adventure in itself. To use the ones with the springs or not. I remember mom with clothes pins in her mouth even. And we always had bean soup and corn bread for dinner on laundry nights. Beans soaked and cooked all day and then the corn bread didn't take long to make.

The next day was 'dampening' and ironing. It's hard to imagine that people actually ironed everything. Remember the 'sprinkling' head that you put on the top of a soda pop bottle to dampen the clothes, and then roll them up and put them in the clothes basket and cover with a t-towel for an hour before you could even heat up the iron. Remember the clothes basket, lined with cloth or plastic so you would not 'snag' the clothes.

Lots of good memories, thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM

Excuse double post.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:59 AM

I love all the posts, such fun reading and traveling down memory lane. My Mother did not have a dryer until late 1960 so I grew up with clotheslines. (I am 70) I remember the wringer washer, the clothes pin bag, hanging the right way, clothes pins in my mouth so I didn't have to go back to the bag! LOL When I first got married in 1956 we did not have money for washer or dryer. Finally got a washer wwhen first baby was about 6 months old so I had been boiling diapers on the stove and hanging out to dry. Then we finally got a dryer when 3rd child was born. That was when I realized I missed the smell of sheets hung out to dry. Moved to Upstate NY and fourth girl was born in 1973 (16 years after the first) and no dryer. So diapers were hung on the line (and it bleaches them if sun is out) and in winter they would freeze. So had to hang them inside on one of those wooden things that fold out and had rods to hang clothes over. My Daddy bought me a dryer and I haven't hung clothes since. But I do miss that smell of the sheets.
Thanks for the memories.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 AM

O.M.G This is exactly the way it was growing up, Us girls had to help Mom every Saturday. I remember that wonderful smell while hanging them. My Mother used some stuff called "blueing" in the rinse tub all the whites came out sooooo bright, but the sunshine helped it along. those were the best times of my life, and I wouldn't change a thing about it except I have an automatic washer and dryer and not a wringer washer.(no waisting any water in those, you could save the suds for the next big load. Thankyou for bringing back those memories. I sure wish I had that wringer washer now.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 AM

I always like clothes hung on a clothesline (except towels) Love the smell and would always hide the undies.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I remember hanging clothes out in the winter!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 AM

I can smell the sunshine on line dried sheets. Guess I'm really an oldie, but they are so much nicer that way
Old 04-11-2011, 10:03 AM

I remember hanging cloth diapers on the line in winter. They would be so soft without using softner. After you got the clothes on the line using poles with a vee notched in to hold the lines off the ground. We still hang the laundry on the line if the pollen isn't heavy or raining.
The bluing product worked better than bleach. Thanks, Ditter.