Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which coffee maker

Blog Entries

Which coffee maker

Right now I have a Cuisinart coffee maker (6 mts. old). I'd like one that is faster, seems to take about 20 min. to make a pot of coffee. Don't want the one cup one. I know it is fast.
    True4uca

I love my Mr. Coffee.
    "Be brave enough to be who you really are.

Bunn, it only takes a couple of minutes for the water to run through. We have had ours for at least 15 years.

Blog Entries
    Bunn's are really fast. I love my keurig, fresh cup in about a minute when ever I want one
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I love my Cuisinart..the 2nd one I've owned. They were the models that you can adjust the heat of the warming plate--I like very hot. Mr Coffee used to have a model like that--but stopped making it.This one came from Lowe's back in the Spring for $99 (sale), and I saw the same model at Sam's Club last friday for $59. I'm tempted to go back and get one "just in case".

Bunn is fast and lasts a very long time. I've had 2 in the past 25 years and probably didn't need to replace the first one after about 15 years but my daughter thought I needed the one with the insulated pot.
    jackie

I have a Mr Coffee but I make tea.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I love my presto percolator, 12 cups. I am weird though, that I make it a ritual. Opening the canister and smelling the first aroma and filling the pot with water to just the right amount. Filling the basket using my special spoon and plugging it in. Then the magic begins! Hearing the motion of the water percolating through the grounds is just a little bit of heaven. Then as the liquid pours out of the spout into one of a select few china cups, I know just a few seconds more and I will be rewarded with the sweet creamy luxury of coffee.
    Sorry to say, but most people are in to much of a rush to really enjoy a good cup of coffee. I do work 40 hrs and care for my house so I am a busy person but still the ritual of that morning cup is a must. It really only takes a few minutes to use a percolator, you would be surprised how fast it makes a pot of coffee.
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 08-24-2015 at 04:06 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    the bunn is fast but $$. It all depends on what is important to you.
    Patski
    always learning

The Bunn makers are quick IF you leave them plugged in all the time and the water in the reserve is kept hot. Otherwise they are slower than a typical drip coffee maker (waiting for the water to heat back up). I think I've had every brand known to man. None of them make me happy at this point. I go for cheap these days. I make about 1/2 pot/morning. Only drink coffee in the AM. When I was working I would make it a point to have a coffee maker with the clock/timer so I could set it up the night before and it was ready when I got up in the AM. Time is not necessarily an issue at this point so I just put it together when I get up now.

I have a Cuisinart drip coffee maker and it only takes about 5 minutes to brew 6 cups, I don't know why yours takes so long. Whatever you buy, make sure you get a thermal carafe, not a glass one---makes a huge difference!!

A Bunn wouldn't be a good choice for me since I only drink 2 or 3 cups in the morning. I can't see heating water 24 hours until I need it again. I had a Brewstation (no carafe) and I loved it but it quit working after 6 months so I'm back to a simple Mr. Coffee. Sometimes I set it up the night before.

In a taste test with 300 people and six coffeemakers, Chemex came in second. (#1 was some $3,000 steam-extraction contraption.) It's an hourglass-shaped clear glass pot with a wooden grip section (nice looking). Drip style; you put the filter in the top with the proper amount of coffee. (Instead of paper filters, I cut half a dozen 10" circles of unbleached muslin to reuse. Unbleached muslin is a household staple with this group!) Boil water, pour a tiny amount over the coffee to make it "bloom," wait one minute (I wait a few, as I do something else.) pour hot water over the grounds. Done. Clean-up is simple - toss grounds into the garden, rinse filter, rinse pot.
    Last edited by Manalto; 08-24-2015 at 10:22 PM.

Since I am the only person in the house that drinks coffee I have the Keurig and absolutely love it. Before that I had the small 4 cup Mr. Coffee. My husband got me the Keurig for Christmas with a large variety of coffees to try. It is nice to have a variety of blends on hand. I am retired now and drink more coffee at home - when I was working the Mr. Coffee worked best because I only made coffee on the weekend.

ube quilting brought back those good memories of having a percolator - my mom & dad used one while I was still living at home and my first coffee maker was a percolator, that coffee always smelled so good. But when my little percolator died I went for the smaller drip coffee maker. Even had a couple of the one cup personal makers but the filters were so expensive and would often move when you slid it into place.

Can't help you , but it's funny how costumes (don't know if it's the correct word) are so different.
    My coffee maker is a nexpresso. Here in Portugal we only drink express coffee.

Blog Entries
    Love my Keurig. We have the large size one.

Quote Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
    I love my presto percolator, 12 cups. I am weird though, that I make it a ritual. Opening the canister and smelling the first aroma and filling the pot with water to just the right amount. Filling the basket using my special spoon and plugging it in. Then the magic begins! Hearing the motion of the water percolating through the grounds is just a little bit of heaven. Then as the liquid pours out of the spout into one of a select few china cups, I know just a few seconds more and I will be rewarded with the sweet creamy luxury of coffee.
    Sorry to say, but most people are in to much of a rush to really enjoy a good cup of coffee. I do work 40 hrs and care for my house so I am a busy person but still the ritual of that morning cup is a must. It really only takes a few minutes to use a percolator, you would be surprised how fast it makes a pot of coffee.
    peace
    Ubequilting, your commeni is wonderful! We need to take time to savor simple pleasures...the sound of the machine, the aroma and a special cup cannot be beat. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Mendes View Post
    Can't help you , but it's funny how costumes (don't know if it's the correct word) are so different.
    My coffee maker is a nexpresso. Here in Portugal we only drink express coffee.
    Maggie, it's "customs" - the same word (but different meaning) for when they inspect international travelers in the airport!

I've been looking for an espresso maker (Bialetti). Espresso is pretty popular here in the US too. (We use the Italian word.)
    Last edited by Manalto; 08-25-2015 at 03:39 AM.

My grandkids gave me a Black and Decker for Mother's Day. I love it. It also grinds coffee beans. I had a problem with the one that they gave me and I called Black and Decker and they sent me a new one (received it a week later). Great customer service. It is really fast in making the coffee.
    Carmen E.

Blog Entries
    Same here. I have 2 Keurigs. One at home, and one at work
    in my office.

Talked my fil into trying one and he loves it. He bought the
    machine that you can drain the the tank. He is planning to
    leave the Keurig at the cabin so he didn't want the hassle
    of having to "transport" it to and from the cabin in the winters.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Bunn's are really fast. I love my keurig, fresh cup in about a minute when ever I want one
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I have yet to buy a coffee maker. Years ago I got started on the auto-delivery with Gevalia which gave me my 1st coffee maker. Used it for years till my mother broke it. Don't aske me how as I'm still clueless on that one. Anyone between times I had quit getting my coffee thru them and then got an email to start up again with an offer for a new coffee maker. Well I decided to go for it so I'm now using the newest coffee maker but have again stopped getting their coffee as they discontinued most of the flavors I liked and then changed the packaging plus I can get their coffee at my local grocery store too. I had quite a stock pile of their coffee so I'm good for probably a year anyway. I've cut myself down to 1 cup a day then I switch to vinegar water as someone said that was good for me. Took a bit to get used to the flavor but now its okay.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

DH has killed more coffee makers in the last 12 years than I have sewing machines (I've got 9 that I use). The best and the fastest one I have found (and it's still alive after 3 years, that's saying a lot), is Hamilton Beach Brew Station. It has no pot, but still makes up to 12 cups at a time (has a holding tank inside to replace a pot). It can even make iced coffee if you want. It also has a holding time of up to 4 hours (most pots turn off after an hour or so). Has brewing options for stronger coffee if you like it stronger or weaker. Also has the clock for starting to brew before you get up (DH doesn't use that much, because you can turn it on and in about a minuet you have at least one cup ready to drink. The best part for me was it was only $39.99 and the Cuisinart one he killed in a year (almost got him killed), was more than double that. DH has always been of the mind that you had to spend a lot on a coffee maker to get a good one, but this is by far the best coffee maker for regular coffee I have found. Good luck

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    ANy coffee left over from the day before stays in the container. When DH gets up he grabs a cup and nukes the left over from the day before while he makes a fresh pot in the morning. I had to get after him to get a stronger brew. I like richer darker brew. We get the French roast. About every 3 years we get a new coffee maker. We went back to Black and Decker. They lasted the longest. our last coffee maker a Cuisinart only lasted about 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
    I love my Mr. Coffee.
    I have a Mr. Coffee that makes 4 cups. It's fast and makes plenty for me. If I have company and need more it is fast enough for that, too.
    Pat

I have a hot water dispenser built into my sink. I put a Melitta cone holder over my mug, put a size 2 filter in it, put it under the spout, put a bit of water over the grounds, wait a second or two and fill cone and let it drip. Fills mug perfectly. I'm the only one who drinks coffee here so that works perfectly for me. Fresh cup each time. Lately I've been enjoying Kirkland coffee.
    Alyce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast