Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Colored Pencils, Prismacolor the best?

Colored Pencils, Prismacolor the best?

Hello all! With another comment here about coloring books, I have a question about coloring pencils. The prisma colors seem like they are highly rated. Anyone have other suggestions or input? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Check the reviews on Amazon. It seems to depend somewhat on where the pencils are manufactured and also on personal preference.

One time a while back I was in Michael's craft store and colored pencils were on sale so I bought the colors I didn't have.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    my son is 25, but I bought him Crayola, they are never sharpen ones, I think it might be better for the adult coloring books.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Prismacolor are artist quality . More expensive.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Prismacolors are "waxy" is how my husband describes them. I prefer Laurentian brand, which you can't seem to buy anymore.

Blog Entries
    I bought the Sargent Art 22-7251 Colored Pencils, Pack of 50, Assorted Colors
    for my daughter.

Was going to get her the Prismcolor, but she didn't want them, said Crayola was
    just fine for her.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I love prismacolor but, they can be pricey. I used them when I went to school for Interior Design. I adore Faber-Castell watercolor pencils but they are way expensive.

Prismacolors are true artists pigments and colors and are often used by interior designers and architects. They last a long time but aren't really necessary for just simple coloring. You'll have to have a separate sharpener for them.

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    lynnie I also use Crayola crayons. they work just fine.

I love inktense colored pencils cuz they are water colors. You color with the pencil then take a wet brush and blend them. I used a coupon to buy them at Michaels arts and crafts. Anna
    Last edited by hybearn8er; 12-02-2015 at 08:03 PM. Reason: changed my word from inktense to intense.

Even with a coupon, Inktense are frighteningly expensive. I think I have 6 of them, wish it was more and price was less.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I agree Inktense are wonderful. I can tell a big difference in the colors. I use Michael's coupons to buy the sets. My grands can tell a difference and ask for the pretty pencils to color.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I have some Prang that work pretty well.

I am a Prismacolor fan. I have a set of 60 pencils that I've had since I was a child (I turned 60 yesterday) and they are still going strong even at approximately 50 years old. I replace the pencils as they get too small to use. Some have never been replaced (I guess I just don't like the color!), others I replace often (black, etc.). I highly recommend these. (My set is called "Eagle Turuquoise Pencils Prismacolor Chemi-sealed [super corded]" and came in a tri-fold binder).
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I just bought Crayola pencils for the grands. They seem to be find with them.

Thanks everyone, interesting read.

Blog Entries
    I have been using Prismacolor pencils for years, I think they are the best, beautiful colors. I was doing adult coloring years ago, way before it suddenly became popular.I have had my set of 60 pencils for at least 30 years and they are still perfect

Blog Entries
    Prismacolor and Inktense are the ones I use most. I do have a set of Prang that I get out for doodling, sketching something out on graph paper
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Power Poster
    My DH bought me a box of 50 Sargent Art colored pencils when he purchased a Creative Cats coloring book for my birthday in Sept. At the time I was in Rehab recovering from several falls, so the coloring book really helped to pass the time and also had a calming effect. My DD told me that someone in her pain management group uses the coloring books to help diminish her pain levels, and it has helped me as well. I've colored some really weird cats, but the cat sitting on a carousel horse colored lavender caught my DGD's attention, so GrandmaMiMi scored, and my DS asked me to sign it. Need to make a trip to an art supply, Dollar Store or other stores that sell them, maybe pick up a different coloring book. I'm seriously addicted, do they have a 12 step program for coloring addicts? Just thought I'd ask.

Prismacolor and Inktense are the ones I use most too. They work so well on fabric. I especially love the intense colors I can get on fabric with Inktense crayons and ink blocks.