Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You really DON'T pronounce the S in Illinois.
Not all of Illinois is in Cook County nor is it called Chicago.
Our governors don't really make our license plates. In reality they get to go to a federal prison.
Most common misconception: Illinois has some honest politicians. We don't.
It really annoys me when people pronounce Illinois with an "s" at the end. A national camping group advertised their rally here as "Bring Your Toys to Illinois".
Old 06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

South Bend Indiana-- we don't all like Notre Dame :wink:
Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM
JJs
Banned

Misconception: everybody in Alabama is uneducated and "red-neck" (whatever that's supposed to mean)
Believe me, there's plenty of intelligence down here - they just don't brag about it - and most of the time they are just happy to let you think whatever you want to think!

Just don't believe everything you hear - no matter who swears to it - Liars Clubs have a gazillion members here!
It's a big deal to get somebody to believe some outrageous tale - it's also fun to let somebody believe that YOU believe them....

Not everybody is poor as dirt and not everybody is rich...
Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

All Iowans are not Hicks!! And we don't live in the sticks!! A lot of us have actually been to college!!! And we don't all run around barefoot all the time(But I do! LOL).

The thing that irritates me is when they want to make a character sound like he is going into the back of beyond they use Iowa as the place he is going to! We do have culture and it isn't all hog farms and corn fields!! LOL

And there are more towns in Iowa than just Des Moines and Davenport. BTW Des Moines in pronounced D-Moyn Not Dez Moyns.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2017 at 04:06 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 06-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

In Wisconsin, we do not All drink beer!!!!!!!! I hear so much about us being drinkers, but are laws are pretty strict here!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2017 at 04:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 06-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Alaska really is a part of the United States and you can actually drive here. Anchorage is not "the bush" - we have running water, sewers and real houses. Some of our buildings even have elevators! And Anchorage winters are milder than most Minnesota winters, better than Chicago winters, etc. Can't say the same about winters elsewhere in the state, however.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
Originally Posted by raptureready
You really DON'T pronounce the S in Illinois.
Not all of Illinois is in Cook County nor is it called Chicago.
Our governors don't really make our license plates. In reality they get to go to a federal prison.
Most common misconception: Illinois has some honest politicians. We don't.
It really annoys me when people pronounce Illinois with an "s" at the end. A national camping group advertised their rally here as "Bring Your Toys to Illinois".
Try living in Oregon...it is Not pronounced "Ore E Gone"....it's "Ore-gun".....

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2017 at 04:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

Ok, might as well join in :D - It is New Jersey, not Joisey. All the women Do Not have Big hair. We are Not all Italian (I'm Scottish). We are not all millionaires - even though you need to be one to live here!! Bruce Springstein is just another country boy...not a state icon. I was first american born here and have lived here my whole life in one part of the state or the other and all in all, it really is a very nice place :)

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-27-2017 at 04:08 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

In California, we are not all pagans(believe it or not there are Christians in California), movie stars, tall, blond, skinny and tan. We don't all live on the beaches and talk like Valley Girls. Many of us would rather not think about Hollywood and all the "trash" there, some of us don't even watch TV!!! We don't all drive new cars and live in expensive homes (ok, housig here is more expensive than other place but not everyone lives in a nice mansion, it only costs that much, lol)
Old 06-23-2010, 01:22 PM

Australian's don't all live in the "outback" and we don't have kangaroos for pets :lol:
and most of us don't say g'day