computer tower

Old 06-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
Sometimes it's better that way. Just sayin'.
Funny,mine is the same way.....
Old 06-21-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the reminder, ladies. My SIL is coming over Sunday to do my computer for me--I'll be sure and hand the compressed air can to him and ask him to clean the big box of a thing under my desk here.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 AM

A few tips to prolong the life of the machine:
1. When vacuuming, don't "touch" any of the circuit boards, just hover over top of them about an inch, it will still get the dust off, and no components will be damaged.
2. Don't spin the fan when you do this. The bearing in the fan doesn't like to be spun, especially backwards. Often the fan needs to be changed after this happens.
3. Hold the side of the machine while you vacuum, and leave it plugged in but powered off. This helps the static not bother the components.
4. Air compressors, have them on very light pressure, no need to bash the cables around.
5. Compressed Air, hold the can right side up. Computer boards don't like that compressed cold refrigerant on them

How do I know? 16 years in IT

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 06-21-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I can't count?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
A few tips to prolong the life of the machine:
1. When vacuuming, don't "touch" any of the circuit boards, just hover over top of them about an inch, it will still get the dust off, and no components will be damaged.
2. Don't spin the fan when you do this. The bearing in the fan doesn't like to be spun, especially backwards. Often the fan needs to be changed after this happens.
3. Hold the side of the machine while you vacuum, and leave it plugged in but powered off. This helps the static not bother the components.
4. Air compressors, have them on very light pressure, no need to bash the cables around.
5. Compressed Air, hold the can right side up. Computer boards don't like that compressed cold refrigerant on them

How do I know? 16 years in IT
I think it's survived our goof-ups - wish I'd read this BEFORE we started messing around with it!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:22 AM

For the most part, usually it's fine, the odd little touch. What we're really trying to avoid is the drop, and drags Those little tiny components on each board are quite fragile and can literally be ripped off the board. That's what we usually refer to as a "Bad thing" (TM)

Some fans do appear to be more resilient than others. I have seen them go and others not, but it's better safe than sorry.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:46 AM

Neither I nor DH have the faintest idea how to open the computer tower to vacuum it!
Old 06-22-2013, 04:16 PM

I only have a netbook, no more tower!