Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: computer tower

Power Poster

computer tower

Just opened the door to the computer tower. It's dusty in there!

I was happily vacuuming away - when dh comes along and decided he is going to vacuum more thoroughly -he probably is, but still -

Blog Entries
    I have three cats and probably need to do that but i'd never remove the backing myself. I do try to keep the vents clean on the outside. good luck!

I've got one just like him.... sometimes you just want to....never mind...LOL

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I moved the fridge yesterday and what was back there shocked me even tho 5 cats and several dogs live here! Oh well, at least there's a vacuum to clean it! I'll let hubby do the computer

Blog Entries
    Hi bearisgray. Haven't seen you in chat for a very long time. Good to see you here. Hope all is well and life is 'coming up rose's!'

156 dolls have now found a home with a VERY sick child. Have plans for a baby quilt and a table running in the works right now.

Vickey S.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Just opened the door to the computer tower. It's dusty in there!

I was happily vacuuming away - when dh comes along and decided he is going to vacuum more thoroughly -he probably is, but still -

I don't have to worry about my Husband coming in and cleaning most anything. He can't see dirt or fuzz and wonldn't know a computer tower if I pointed to it. Just sayin.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Sigh... I wish my DH would vacuum...

Blog Entries
    always clean my own computer. It needs to be opened up once is a while to keep it working properly. There are fans in there that get dusty or dirty and cannot move properly. I use an air compresso for mine.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I think mine has that problem, it is a laptop and running hot. I keep a cool compress on it to cool it down.No kidding.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I don't have to worry about my Husband coming in and cleaning most anything. He can't see dirt or fuzz and wonldn't know a computer tower if I pointed to it. Just sayin.
    Sometimes it's better that way. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter View Post
    Sometimes it's better that way. Just sayin'.
    Funny,mine is the same way.....
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder, ladies. My SIL is coming over Sunday to do my computer for me--I'll be sure and hand the compressed air can to him and ask him to clean the big box of a thing under my desk here.
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

A few tips to prolong the life of the machine:
    1. When vacuuming, don't "touch" any of the circuit boards, just hover over top of them about an inch, it will still get the dust off, and no components will be damaged.
    2. Don't spin the fan when you do this. The bearing in the fan doesn't like to be spun, especially backwards. Often the fan needs to be changed after this happens.
    3. Hold the side of the machine while you vacuum, and leave it plugged in but powered off. This helps the static not bother the components.
    4. Air compressors, have them on very light pressure, no need to bash the cables around.
    5. Compressed Air, hold the can right side up. Computer boards don't like that compressed cold refrigerant on them

How do I know? 16 years in IT
    Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 06-21-2013 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I can't count?

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    A few tips to prolong the life of the machine:
    1. When vacuuming, don't "touch" any of the circuit boards, just hover over top of them about an inch, it will still get the dust off, and no components will be damaged.
    2. Don't spin the fan when you do this. The bearing in the fan doesn't like to be spun, especially backwards. Often the fan needs to be changed after this happens.
    3. Hold the side of the machine while you vacuum, and leave it plugged in but powered off. This helps the static not bother the components.
    4. Air compressors, have them on very light pressure, no need to bash the cables around.
    5. Compressed Air, hold the can right side up. Computer boards don't like that compressed cold refrigerant on them

How do I know? 16 years in IT
    I think it's survived our goof-ups - wish I'd read this BEFORE we started messing around with it!

For the most part, usually it's fine, the odd little touch. What we're really trying to avoid is the drop, and drags Those little tiny components on each board are quite fragile and can literally be ripped off the board. That's what we usually refer to as a "Bad thing" (TM)

Some fans do appear to be more resilient than others. I have seen them go and others not, but it's better safe than sorry.

Blog Entries
    Neither I nor DH have the faintest idea how to open the computer tower to vacuum it!

I only have a netbook, no more tower!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?