Cost of Cat Neutering

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM

You need to shop around. Call your local Humane Society as the one in my state (Missouri) offers to do it for $40 and there are 2 other clinics in town that will do it for about the same price. And sometimes there is a BIG difference in price between different vets!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:52 PM

What????? No way. Talk to the humane center, find out what groups have discounts on strays. There's usually a group that does stray managment or TNR (trap,neuter,release) and that sort of thing. Hook up with them. Get the discount, since this is a stray cat. Should cost you less than $100 for the surgery, antibotic shot, Rabies shot, FeLV/FLeuk testing and such.

Friends of Animials, Animal Rescue Force, Animal Rescue League, etc. all have programs.

OR... if that doesn't work. Have your dearest 70 year old friend take the cat in. Get the Seniors discount. lol.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Check out an organization called Minnesota Spay/Neuter Project. They might be able to help you out.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM

I paid over 200 dollars a little over a year ago to have a stray neutered and tested for feline hiv and leukemia, I thought that was high, I guess not.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM

Call a few more vets, as this vet is way, way too high.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM

Most towns have a location for discount spay/neutering. Ours here is 59 (male) $69 (female) and that includes examination, rabies vaccine. I hope you area has something just like it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I just called the vet's office to see what it would cost to get the stray male cat neutered.

$242.50 - the operation itself
$75.40 - new patient exam
$17.28 - Rabies vaccination
$79.78 - Test for Feline HIV

$410.02

Yikes!
Start calling other vets, and/or the humane society in your area. Many shelters also have low cost programs.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:37 PM

There are cheaper options then our vet and we were thinking about it for Ray, my avatar, who we adopted when he appeared at a campground and we were told he had been abandoned there 3 months prior.

It cost us about $350 to fix him, get 5 stitches in his shoulder from 1 wound, have the pus filled chest wound cleaned, have him wormed, get tested for feu-leuk and also get all the shots, since he hadn't been fixed we figured he'd never been vaccinated. After finding all the problems we were really glad we HAD taken him to our regular vet, since I don't know how the cheaper clinic would have dealt with the other problems.

And they did give us a discount for rescuing a stray. I think you could probably find a cheaper vet for sure. When we were on the road with our last cat who needed to be put to sleep, one of the vets I called insisted on doing a $200 physical himself, even tho we had the paperwork from 2 other vets we'd taken him to on the trip...no thanks, we knew it was time. Another vet just put him to sleep....thankfully so he did have to suffer.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM

WOW :shock: that's alot. Where do you live that it cost that much?
When I got my Belle (my avatar) fixed it was under $100.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

Didn't cost me near that much, and mine are declawed all four paws and neutered, all males now. I don't remember just all much. Humane Society her is not so cheap, helps to be a senior citizen, but not much. I have a Vet I take them to.