could you edit a book?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:25 AM

When I worked at a small rural hospital, I frequently was called on to proof letters going out from the head administrator. In fact, I had to correct an VIP in a staff meeting about some grammatical errors in a brochure going out. She was not pleased, and brought a dictionary to "prove" she was right. (I won the disagreement, though). I was an English teacher for 38 years and my background was solid from years ago. Our newspaper is now fraught with errors every day. The most egregious errors are clipped and sent to the offending writer.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:21 PM

I probably could but I don't think I'd enjoy it. If it were the type of thing I enjoy reading I would probably get into it and forget I was supposed to be being critical and only catch the glaring errors; and if it was not something I enjoyed reading I'd probably do a better editing job but then I think it'd bore and kind of aggravate me.

I'm sure my formal English skills are lacking somewhat, as well. Although I DO know "they're" from "their", at least, and I can usually figure out when to put an apostrophe in "its"!
Old 08-15-2017, 02:56 PM

I believe I could. I love to read and frequently edit letters at work. I've never edited a large document though. Like most of you, I find it painful when I see things either misspelled or a misused word in books or articles. Drives me absolutely bonkers.

Another pet peeve of mine is when people completely omit punctuation! (frequent on Facebook) I find myself reading gibberish about 10 times over trying to figure out the writer's intent and give up because it hurts my brain. Even when I text, I write complete sentences. I can't stand "texting shorthand", such as "u" for "you".

OK, now I need a glass of wine.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:05 PM

I have proofed/edited several books. The daughter of one of my friends writes romance novels, and I have helped her by reading them for grammar, spelling, punctuation and light content corrections. I don't do significant plot line or storyline editing. I found it is a totally different kind of reading, and having to concentrate on looking at each word and sentence structure takes concentration, but comes fairly natural for me. But, I don't think would do it as a fullime job!
Old 08-15-2017, 08:59 PM

I could and would do it, and would love it.

Today at work my co-worker got an email that drove both of us crazy. The author had phrased his sentences in such a way that you could interpret what he was saying in two completely opposite ways, and we could not figure out what he meant. Spelling and grammar were correct; phrasing and clarity were out the window.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM

I have worked as an editor. Enjoyed it, still correct books, newspapers, magazines and even signs!
Old 08-16-2017, 08:12 PM
Power Poster

I have edited, and use to write out many grants when I was teaching. I did this in hopes to be chosen for money for the needs of my classroom. I was chosen for several.

I went to a creative writing workshop held by 2 published authors in Rugby TN. I had the best time there.