Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Couponing??

So is anyone out there in quilt land couponing? I started a few months ago. So far, I spend about 2 hours clipping and sorting and filing. Then I spend 4 or 5 hours shopping. So, just exactly when does the savings and all that good stuff come in?

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Yea it's a lot of work to save pennies...

I did it ten years ago and my best was over $200 of groceries for less than $30... That was my best ..

Blog Entries
    Wow, great savings

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Yea it's a lot of work to save pennies...

I did it ten years ago and my best was over $200 of groceries for less than $30... That was my best ..

I use coupons for items, and brands I already use. A lot of the coupons I am seeing latley are for either items I don't use or a brand that even using the coupon is still more expensive than the brand I regularly use. I also take into the time and cost to travel to the correct store to use the coupon.

Not much here for coupons and no store does the double coupons.
    There is only so much toilet paper , toothpaste, and soaps one can use.
    If there are coupons out there for meat and fresh produce I must not be "in the loop".
    I gave up on the mass coupon thing , and only cut the occasional coupon when its something I need in the next 30 days.
    The expiration dates have gotten much shorter some/most expiring in 45 days or even 30 .

I do go to Common Sense with Money and they have printable coupons...also KrazyLadyCoupons. I manage to get some smoked sausage, some Pillsbury and other baking items. If I were in the razor business, I would be all set. I guess I could give razors and toothpaste for Christmas.

I used to be somewhat of a coupon queen years ago when my kids were little. Since moving to FL 10 years ago, NO. Not worth it...nowhere doubles coupons and forget tripleing them. And the dates expire too soon. I do clip a few on things I really do buy and use the BJ's store couples.

Good stocking stuffers LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by rexie
    I do go to Common Sense with Money and they have printable coupons...also KrazyLadyCoupons. I manage to get some smoked sausage, some Pillsbury and other baking items. If I were in the razor business, I would be all set. I guess I could give razors and toothpaste for Christmas.

Blog Entries
    I rarely see any coupons for the food I buy. I use them for non food items sometimes.

It takes a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I rarely see any coupons for the food I buy. I use them for non food items sometimes.
    Same here. I check out local supermarket flyers for the best buys for items I need and/or use and shop the next week at the one that gives me the best savings. I stock up a bit but nothing like those Extreme couponing shows. Those shoppers buy 35, 50 or 100 of an item. Does anyone need 50 jars of tomato sauc, several hundred jars of baby food? My question is are they going to use all that they buy before the expiraton date? Where do they put everything? They must spend their savings on an extra freezer, shelving that spands their entire basement and/or garage.

My couponing has slowed down considerably since the kids are grown and moved away. You can save money but it can also be time consuming, or it was for me. We have changed our eating habits a lot the last few years and most coupons I see now, we can't use. Good luck with it and have fun. :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use a few at the commissary, but here in our town we only have United, Aldis, Walmart and Jumbo. Jumbo is an OK. family owned business and they get most of my NON-commissary shopping.
    SO, bottom line..there is so little competition that they rarely have good sales and coupons don't amount to much!

We also shop the NON coupon sections most..ie: produce, dairy, meat!

Senior Member hensandhollyhocks's Avatar
    I have been couponing for years, but just the basics. So far, I have had no luck with double coupons, or combining with store coupons, but every little bit helps.

Most of what I buy is meat, dairy and produce (some frozen). If there is other stuff that has a coupon I will use it, but no hard core couponing as I don't use a lot of canned stuff and get the toiletries at Costco (I do use their coupoons :) ).

Jim
    I coupon, on things we use...and I help DD and DIL as well...between my daughter and I we save at least 150 a month with coupons together..our Kroger here doubles any coupon 50 cents and under..I have heard Walmart is possibly going to start doubling.. they have a test areas doing it already

Coupons are nice if you are going to buy the product anyway, but the extreme coupon use you have to go on line and search for them, get them from the neighbors, it is a LOT of work. It just isn't worth all that time.

I use the coupons I can find for the cat and dog food I usually will try to write the manufacturer and they will send a couple of the coupons we use for the dog food because its expensive

Blog Entries
    I never shop without coupons and the savings are huge. You do need to do some work to be sure that you have everything matched up properly and then there is the hunt in the stores to be sure you have the correct item. Well worth it, I think. On my last grocery stock up I got over $800 in food for about $63. This week I found I was running out of paper towels and some other items and with coupons in hand I saved a ton and walked out with $40 in gift cards to Applebees!

Blog Entries
    I watch the show on couponing and can't quilte understand how they save so much on items that they don't even use. To give up all the space in my house to store things for years would not work for me. Some spend hours cutting out and finding coupons plus 8-10 hours just to shop -- rather be quilting

We have been couponing for 10+ years. Within the last yr or so my husband began to complain ,"all the coupons and sale items are junk food or high in fat/sodium and expire within a month" .We are going to get a walmart supercenter next spring. Maybe that will wake up the other food stores in my neighborhood. The food stores play these dumb games .Why don't they put that money into lower prices on good healthy food?

Have been doing it for ages. Saves tons of money. However things have changed drastically in couponland. Most coupons these days are for convenience things like Hamburger helper and things I don't use. They also have such short expiration dates. We do double coupons here, so that helps considerably. But using less and less coupons, down to 1 or 2 per trip as opposed to handsful.

Blog Entries
    We coupon only what we normally use. A lot of them are for multiple items of the same thing and the savings aren't really worth it since there are only two of us. $1.00 for four boxes of cereal.... duh... really aggravates hubby and daughter as she also coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by slk350
    I used to be somewhat of a coupon queen years ago when my kids were little. Since moving to FL 10 years ago, NO. Not worth it...nowhere doubles coupons and forget tripleing them. And the dates expire too soon. I do clip a few on things I really do buy and use the BJ's store couples.
    BJ coupons are the only ones I use, also. They're usually for cereal or paper goods, things with a long shelf life.

Here in Michigan, we must be lucky (at least in a couponing sense). I generally shop at Meijer and Target (and some WalMart). Meijer always doubles up to .50, and Target often has store coupons that can be combined with manufacturers coupons. Yesterday I bought two bottles of Dove shampoo and two packages of Q-Tips (real Q-Tips). After coupons I paid $9.00 and received a $5 Target gift card for my next shopping trip. I am no extreme couponer--I actually think they've made the rest of couponers look bad. No massive stockpiles here . . . just what we need and will use (otherwise it's donated or passed on to friends and family).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast