Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: craft shows

craft shows

I have been in some craft shows this fall. There has been low attendance. How has it been in some of the shows you have been in?

Blog Entries
    In Texas, attendance was great and so was the buying. I usually quit before Thanksgiving. Others are still selling, as long as weather is nice.

Craft show attendance dropped 10-15 years ago around here. Prices to rent spaces have gone way up in price. Makes no sense to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Craft shows are basically for lookers and people looking for cheap buys it seems in California these past few years.
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't do them but have a person in a water wellness class that does. She says that buyers have dropped. Many lookers but not many actually buying. The stuff that sells is that which is very unique and "new". She says that many of the sewn item patterns are readily available and even free on the internet--and that there seem to be more and more sewers out there. My guild does a booth at our show and seems like the stuff that sells is either gift items that quilters buy for themselves (jewelry for instance) or gift items for people to give to others (i.e. appliqued tea towels, baby quilts)

I was at two Holiday Botiques this weekend. Both were incredibly crowded, but it wasn't just quilting things. There were lots of heart shaped coasters, Xmas table runners, wall hangings, towels, stockings, oven mitts and a few quilts. It was definitely Xmas themed, and each table/area was definitely a cohesive theme. Buffalo plaid items were very popular. Victorian, rustic, silver, gold, reds, and blues each had their spot. Most tables had some form of quilted items. Things seemed to be selling pretty well.

I think the Bazaars are getting slower and slower...
    I don't think people want to pay anything to have a handcrafted item. Plus, you never know what will sell and what won't.
    I do a Direct Sales company and all my stuff is 25$ and under and I have had a hard time with my Gift Sets/Packaged, even the little stocking stuffers are hard to sell.
    I think all the jewelry is gone out of fashion as I have a friend that makes handmade and it' hard for her to cover her booth fee.
    But, You are getting your name out there, it is a fun time and you never know...you might get a huge sale!
    Kirsten
    I try and be as good of a human as my dogs think I am.

My daughter and I attended as many craft shows as possible - it was our "thing".
    We live between Cleveland and Akron so with the surrounding areas there are plenty of shows.

This was the first year we cut way back because the good shows have the same vendors in the same places selling the same stuff. When there is something new and original we jump on it, but mostly it's the same old items. Lots of overpriced jewelry and paintings. I miss them.

I used to go to a lot of them but haven't so much any more. Lost interest. My sister and I will go to one on Sunday though. It's smallish and there is a woman who makes awesome cat toys that we get for all the furry kids in our families.

I think people are just burned out on craft fairs. They have been around a long time and I think people are going thru a phase of getting rid of stuff. I know I am. I still go occasionally but rarely find anything new or something I really need or can use. I also do believe many of us go to get ideas and crafters don't make money on us. What is big in our area are repurposed things, especially "farmhouse" style items.

My sister is a potter and had people 2 deep at her stand last weekend with their hands on their purchases waiting until she could get to them. She made a killing and at the end was taking orders, so it's not all doom and gloom.

My Kinettes club is holding a craft show this weekend and all the booths sold out. Hopefully everyone does well.

Watson

I'm thinking craft shows are weather and economy dependent. Hot or cold, rainy or snowy weather keeps people from attending. If people don't have money or wary of spending money, extras like crafty things are one of the first areas to suffer. Craft shows need some new or different vendors to add to the usual array to succeed. Craft show also require energetic people - promoters, crafters and attendees. So many variables for success yet some crafters persist which makes crafting so appealing.

I use to make kids PJs and they were a big seller.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

My best friend is an expert at wool applique and has been doing it for years. When she does craft shows, she has great attendance and repeat customers from year to year. Her prices run from $3.98 for a small ornament to $45 for a table mat, and keeps her items in the small to medium sized range. She gets a couple "special orders" from each show. Now I can do wool applique also (for myself), but nothing compared to hers. I think you have to have something different from what everyone else has in their booth to make a profit.

Blog Entries
    I did two shows last year , not good . I went to some shows this year the girls said that no good. My not
    come back next year . you take al that time to make something no one wants to pay the price .
    Everything I had was 4.-- to 15.00 ?????