Crate training a puppy

Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
What kind of puppy did you get?
She is a Zuchon (aka Teddy Bear). It's a mix of Bichon Frise and Shih Tzu. She's cute!!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Our corgi has been crate trained from the beginning. Sleeps in it at night and goes into it during the day. We found that if we put the crate toward a corner away from traffic, he does better. Also we cover the three sides with a blanklet. It is his safe haven. Goes immediately to his crate when it starts to thunder.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 AM

The timing is great; it just takes repetion. Some puppies pee because they get excited. You wouldn't believe the messes my little one created in the beginning. When she was finally trained we kept the crate up for a punishment area when she got into things; she sooned learned if she didn't want time out she'd have to be good.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

We started crate training the day we got our dog when he was 6 weeks old. We put it in the living room first, but he cried at night. We moved it to the bedroom and that was the answer. He was very happy to get into it. It helped with potty training too.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 AM

If your puppy is wetting in his crate, the crate may be too big. We trained a chocolate lab but used about 4 crates has she got bigger. She loves it now!
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Lots of great advice on crate training here; I'd just add not to feel sorry for her, fawn over her, act excited or nervous about it or "coo" to her while she's in there. She will read your signals and respond to those; if you feel bad when she's in the crate, she'll feel bad about it, too.

We have successfully crate trained many dogs over the years, and we will always do it with our dogs in the future. Of our four dogs, two of them are crated when we are not home -- one because she is destructive, and the other because he is anxious and can cause a fight if he gets upset.

Originally Posted by nativetexan
i've never understood the need for a crate. anybody? my son's dog goes into his crate easily. it's a huge one.
their cat goes outdoors and broke her leg, vet costs once and the cast came off outdoors and now my DIL won't take her back to the vet. she should have kept it indoors until healed at least. anyway, just wondering about crates.
Are you planning to confiscate the cat? Your daughter's treatment is cruel and should result in the cat being removed from her care and animal cruelty charges being filed. In Maryland this would be worth a monetary penalty, the removal of all animals in her (dubious) care, a ban on owning animals for some measure of time in the future, and possibly some jail time.

You can't just let an animal with a painful, unhealed injury roam about without seeking vet care. In many states it is illegal, and in ALL cases it is unethical -- and shameful.

I cannot stress enough to anyone thinking of getting a pet that if you do not intend to provide adequate care for it, DO NOT DO IT.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Cyn

I never crate trained but I was always home and had a nice area to block off. Good Luck! All of mine have always learned pretty fast by following the older dogs outside too.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:38 PM

No, this is actually the perfect age to start, the earlier the better. I have a yorkie who is 6 now, she LOVES her crate! She asks to go in it all on her own. It's hers and she knows it! They always whine and cry when you first start crate training, but don't give in because then she will keep doing it knowing she will eventually get her way!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:15 PM

I've never understood the obsession with crates either all my dogs had their own bed which they were taught to go to but I never liked the idea of putting them in a cage - each to their own I guess!!!!
Originally Posted by nativetexan
i've never understood the need for a crate. anybody? my son's dog goes into his crate easily. it's a huge one.
their cat goes outdoors and broke her leg, vet costs once and the cast came off outdoors and now my DIL won't take her back to the vet. she should have kept it indoors until healed at least. anyway, just wondering about crates.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by everbtrue
If your puppy is wetting in his crate, the crate may be too big. We trained a chocolate lab but used about 4 crates has she got bigger. She loves it now!
We had the same issue - we had bought a crate that we thought would be great for his adult size... but then read that if the crate is too large, the dog thinks he has a living room, kitchen and bathroom :D So we got another one that was actually a better size anyway for his adult size and it had a movable wall inside of it so that as he grew we were able to move the wall inside. It worked like a charm.
We mostly used the crate while we were out of the house and at night.