Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy Local Festivals

The Pineapple Festival in Yeppoon - about 40 kms away

Blog Entries
    We have the Popcorn Festival in honor of the late Orville
    Redenbacher. Our town is famous for it. LOL Last week there was actually a Jeopardy question about it.

In central PA, the town of Dillsburg has a Pickle Fest in the spring. Now understand, the town is in no way related to dill pickles, but they adopted the dill pickle as a town mascot. The PickleFest is an arts & crafts fair, pickle-eating contest (and there's other food as well) and a 5K pickle chase. http://carrollcitizens.com/PickleFest.html

And on New Year's Eve, when some people are watching the ball drop in Times Square, Dillsburg has its very own Pickle Drop!

It's a nice little town. Gotta love Dillsburg! They actually have a pickle statue...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Philadelphia, in the weeks before Christmas, the somewhat historic neighborhood of Chestnut Hill has Stag 'n' Doe Nights once a week. The shops stay open late and often have free samples and demos. The idea is for couples to walk up and down the main drag, eat, shop, and socialize.

I'm surprised that Camilla, GA is the only one with a gnat festival. I grew up in Thomasville, and we had a bunch of those!

The craziest festivals I've ever heard of are both in Colorado. There's the frozen dead guy festival and there's the headless chicken festival.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The craziest festivals I've ever heard of are both in Colorado. There's the frozen dead guy festival and there's the headless chicken festival.
    I think you might win as the craziest. :lol:

Posen Michigan has a Potato Festival
    Population 2,042 as of the last census They bring in 10's of thousands of people. Potato king and queen,
    Lots of Polish music and food.

A town just North of us has a "Chicken Days". Everything chickens. A "cluck off", "rooster crowing" "chicken costume" etc etc. Best is the Chicken Days quilt show. Lots of chicken quilts.

We have Tater Days here in Brooklyn Park, MN. The whole area used to be potato farms, hence the Tater. There is a parade, a carnival, and a bunch of other "goings-on" for a week in June.

http://www.brooklynpark.org/sitepages/pid91.php

Fire Ant Festival in Marshall Texas - http://www.2camels.com/fire-ant-festival.php

Great Texas Mosquito Festival in Clute Texas - http://www.2camels.com/great-texas-m...o-festival.php

Rattlesnake Roundup in Sweetwater Texas.

Odessaquilts, It sounds wonderful to be in Michigan and be able to attend some of these Festivals. Thanks for sharing. Eiltcoq.

Blog Entries
    When I lived in Ohio, we had a sauerkraut festival, Pork festival, Bean festival, Strawberry festival, Corn festival, cornbread festival and others I don't remember.

The next festival in my local area is Westfest, a Czech heritage festival, on Labor Day weekend. My boss has been involved with it ever since it started. It's a pretty big deal...polka music, beer, sausages, kolaches, arts & crafts.

Then a couple weeks later is Middlefaire, a small fairly new Renaissance festival. We will have a booth with the candles my daughter makes and my husband will have his leatherwork.

Not really crazy festivals however!

Blog Entries
    I love those type festivals.

Southern Alabama has it's annual Peanut Festival coming up in the Fall. Miss Peanut, Little Miss Peanut etc. All the local folks (I am a 5 year transplant) love their Boiled Green Peanuts. I've tried them but it seems to me they are definately an acquired taste. The festival has rides, booths and country entertainment so it is fun.

I lived in Avon Ohio for a while and they had a Duct Tape Festival that was held on Father's Day weekend every year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Annie Oakley Days.....Greenville, Ohio

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I don't think we have any wacky festivals, but this weekend we have three food festivals going on in Manchester, NH: greek food festival, latin food and fun festival, and Majahran (not sure if that's the spelling), middle eastern and Lebanese food. You could actually go through the whole weekend and not have to cook! How cool is that?

Edgerton Wi has Tabacco Fest.

Quote Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
    I don't think we have any wacky festivals, but this weekend we have three food festivals going on in Manchester, NH: greek food festival, latin food and fun festival, and Majahran (not sure if that's the spelling), middle eastern and Lebanese food. You could actually go through the whole weekend and not have to cook! How cool is that?
    Who knew? I lived in NH for a few years and never knew. I'd have come to Manchester for those!

Up north, just above where the Old Man in the Mountain used to be, Franconia has a rubber ducky race as part of its Fourth of July festival. It's a fundraiser for the fire department. People can buy raffle tickets. Each ducky has a ticket number marked on it. They put bags of the rubber duckies in the creek that runs down Main Street and the first one to make it to the bridge is the winner. (The current carries them along.) People crowd along the banks to watch the hundreds of rubber duckies - it's actually a lot of fun!

Blog Entries
    All of the festivals sound like so much fun. I'm heading out to the Zucchini Festival right now. It is cloudy and overcast. Sure hope the sun breaks through.

In Scappoose, Oregon, they have the Saurkraut Festival in September. Have you ever tried saurkraut ice cream?? belive it or not, its really good. doesnt taste like saurkraut at all.

vermilion, oh--DICK GODDARD is still the grand marshall,of the WOOLY BEAR. And don't forget VERMILION's FISH FESTIVAL(LAKE ERIE (yellow) PERCH.

Blog Entries
    In Maine was have the Egg Festival in Pittsfield and also the Clam Festival in Falmouth and the "famous" Lobster Festival in Rockland.

Blog Entries
    Kolach Day, Sweet Corn Day, Saurekraut Day, Beef Day, Hoby Days (celebrating mushrooms), Tulip Festival, Popcorn Days. There are probably many others I don't know about. Oh, yes, Ocktoberfest, and Maifest (May Day).

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast