Crazy Local Festivals

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Irmo is home of the Okra Strut
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM

We have the National Aspargus Festival.We are the national aspargus captial here in Oceana county. Also have an apple Fest. Fremont has National Baby Food festival. Home of Gerber baby food.
Mayme in West MI
Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
vermilion, oh--DICK GODDARD is still the grand marshall,of the WOOLY BEAR. And don't forget VERMILION's FISH FESTIVAL(LAKE ERIE (yellow) PERCH.
Oh I forgot the Fish Festival, we always went there too....loved the perch dinners...!
Old 08-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Too many festivals in Louisiana to name them all but here's a link.

http://www.cajunradio.org/louisianafestivals.html

Some of the ones I've actually been too.....

Buggy Festival (Church Point, LA)
Crawfish Festival(Breaux Bridge LA)
Festival Acadienne (Lafayette LA)
Festival International (Lafayette, LA) (this is a really big one)
Shrimp Festival (Delcambre LA)
Catfish Festival (Washington LA)
Jazz Festival (New Orleans - huge!!)
Black Pot Festival (Lafayette, LA)

**Mardi Gras **
Just about every town in Louisiana has some sort of Mardi Gras parade
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Collinsville, IL has the Horseradish festival.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Navy Wife
I'm surprised that Camilla, GA is the only one with a gnat festival. I grew up in Thomasville, and we had a bunch of those!
I've never seen so many gnats as we have here. It is almost reason enough to move somewhere else. You can't go outside in the summer without some kind of netting over your face -- I understand that Macon is the "gnat line". All across from here thru Thomasville definitely has gnats.

I am not sure I'd want to attend the festival in honor of them tho... :)
Old 08-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Let's see, here in Michigan we have the Cherry Festival in Traverse City, the Tulip Festival in Holland, the Peach Festival in Romeo, the Bologna Festival in Yale, and the Renaissance Fair in Holly. (I just got back from the Renaissance Fair -- that's the place to go if you want to see a bunch of folks who come dressed in costumes that have nothing to do with the Renaissance. I saw Teddy Roosevelt plus several elves and fairies and more body parts hanging out than I ever want to again. But the shows are entertaining.)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:07 PM
Dee

All summer their is a fair or festival. Contests and Polish days. Classic car shows and today was the tomatoe throwing contest.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Well, besides a gazillion Kolache Festivals (yep, Texas is full of Czech towns, as well as German and Mexican), we have the infamous Mosquito Festival in Lake Jackson and Clute. Then there are Crawfish festivals and Rattlesnake Steak Fries (I'll pass, thank you), and there's the Riverwalk Christmas Festival in San Antonio. New Braunfels has its Wurstfest. Terlingua has its International Chili Cook-off, and if you hit it just right, you may see Waylon, Willie, and the boys. Houston has an Art Car Parade that is something to see, and a Nutcracker Market before Christmas every year, as well as Chinese, Japanese, Indian, and Italian Festivals. Fredericksburg has an Easter Fires Celebration (German tradition), Katy has a Rice Festival, and Gonzales has a "Come and Take It" Festival (referring to their flag's daring the Mexican army under Santa Ana to come and take it on their fateful march to San Jacinto). There are so many, it's impossible to list them all... quilt festivals, sugar cane festivals, bluegrass and all sorts of music and art festivals, Magnolia's Renaissance Festival, stomping-of-the-grapes festivals... something almost every weekend. Is it any wonder I don't get much quilting done on the weekends?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:40 PM

Speaking of a Gnat Festival... remember years ago they had a net sort of thing you put over your head and zipped up to protect your fancy hairdo when you were dressing? You could use one of those to protect your head at the Gnat Festival. <G> Oh, well... it was a suggestion. <G>