The creative process

Old 10-05-2016, 04:53 AM

Default The creative process

Had dinner with an old friend last night. He has moved far away so we only see each other about once a year but keep in touch on Facebook. He is a novelist and it was so fun listening to him talk about the stories in his head and how sometimes he knows he doesn't have the skill to put them out on paper the way they need to be presented. Boy, do I know that feeling! So many quilts and pictures in my head and I just steadily try to learn more and more so that when I do create them, they will match my vision.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:02 AM
Power Poster

I would at least get as much as possible written out or use which ever program in the computer. He can title it to remember or go back when he wants to edit. That is why so many of us take photos or bookmark/add to favorites, etc. I have lists of quilts for whom I think would be a good match and ideas of colors and varied blocks. I sometimes write in a journal on line small tidbits/notes of the day. He should try that. Just his notes alone might be an interesting read.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM

Another thing that might help him is a small tape recorder. Whenever an idea comes to him, record it and play it back when there is time and write the ideas in a binder. As we get older, remembering is harder and harder to do.
Sue
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 AM

I can definitely relate, but I think that's the easier problem to have rather than having the technical skill but a creative block. It's the reason why I started taking different art classes to build up my skills. I began with color theory classes; when I was comfortable enough with that, I moved on to absolute beginner drawing classes. I knew absolutely nothing & was grateful the class covered mainly basics like supplies, how to properly use those supplies & that first class was just about basic straight & curved lines. I continue to take classes as often as my schedule & budget allow, and also have an ongoing "independent study" of sorts on fiber so I can better understand how to select fabrics & threads and what each will do, especially cotton since I sell crib quilts... although now I am also starting to study wool & silk a lot more as I'm hoping to make a wool quilt for my bed and am thinking of doing a couple competition pieces that I designed in RK Radiance, which is a cotton/silk blend, with 100% silk thread.

It is so exciting when I learn a new skill in class & realize that it's exactly what I need in order to help finally bring a design idea I've had floating around in my head for a while to life!
Old 10-05-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie View Post
As we get older, remembering is harder and harder to do.
Sue
Sad, but amazingly true statement!
Old 10-06-2016, 03:13 AM

Or we remember "stuff" that's not important and forget what we should remember. Birthdates, names, phone numbers, et