Creatively Frustrated

Old 04-01-2011, 05:12 PM

Wow, that sorta sounds like me as well. I know what I like but I have to see it first - LOL.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by pamkasperi
The only reason I am against Aplique is because I don't know how to do it and I guess I could easily learn but that kind of stuff makes me nervous that I will mess it up!
Iron on the appliques...
Find a coloring book picture that has something in it you like - say an egg! take some tissue paper and trace around the edges, cut it out roughly and glue it on some cardboard. let dry. Cut it out on the lines.
Lay the egg pattern on some wildly patterened fabric maybe a fat quarter.
Draw around it. Cut out the fabric following the line you have drawn.
Cut out a piece of fabric the size and shape you want the background to be ( like a very large wall hanging size egg shape)
Following the directions on the package exactly, iron all your different colored eggs to the background.
You can put them every which way or in rows!

If you want to add a bunny or basket or anything else, do the same process. Write words with an indelible marker.
(Practice first)

Take it from me, an artist, sometimes you can make the ideas in your head, sometimes you can't!

But, remember this rule, to make something, and make it work out the way you want it to, you have to follow the process of doing it. There are not any shortcuts.
But in compensation, the joys of the creative works are enormous, and worth taking the time to think it through,
and having the patience to do it carefully and right.

Only you can get the ideas in your head onto a quilt.
Others can teach you the ways of the craft of making your ideas come to reality, but they can't see into, or read your mind.

Hope this helps...everybody gets nervous they will make a mistake! It is also part of the creative process too, but it isn't an excuse. Figuring out how to do it, and then DOING it is fun!
Jeannie
Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
Originally Posted by yolanda
Wow your not asking for much! ;-) Maybe if you can describe or sketch what's on your mind we can help?
We do need a little help from you on this....get the ideas out of your head and into words or sketches, then we can help.
Michelle (and everyone else) - I think I figured out how to do what I wanted for the Easter Quilt....

Tangrams.....Tangrams use geometric shapes to make animals...

http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/craft...-673779/print/

now I just have to take that and figure a quilt around it....I think....maybe....
Old 04-03-2011, 05:11 AM

I haven’t read all the posts here yet so maybe someone already suggested this. I still think you are an artist you just have what is similar to ‘writers block’ only it’s ‘quilters block’ (no pun intended :-P ) You said you want your design made of squares and triangles. How about drawing it out on graph paper, it’s a start and the ideas may just start coming to mind. You’ll see what you like and what you don’t like and keep it or eliminate it – your ideas may grow and change as you do this.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
I haven’t read all the posts here yet so maybe someone already suggested this. I still think you are an artist you just have what is similar to ‘writers block’ only it’s ‘quilters block’ (no pun intended :-P ) You said you want your design made of squares and triangles. How about drawing it out on graph paper, it’s a start and the ideas may just start coming to mind. You’ll see what you like and what you don’t like and keep it or eliminate it – your ideas may grow and change as you do this.
Scrap Happy - that's a good point - but this "block" took me almost 4 days to try and figure out. Last night the ah-ha moment happened and I remembered Tangrams from when my kids were in elementary school. Found a Tangram rabbit - cut it out - now I have to build the pices around it and "re-size" from 7x7 to an actual quilt.

I have to get coffee in my system first and then I'm going back to work - I can't believe I got so stuck on this idea. But I'm happy I may have found a solution and DOUBLE HAPPY for all the help and idea's I got here!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 PM

Get yourself a pad of graft paper and graft out your rabbit/bunny. Graft paper comes in many sizes and you can find one that each square equals 1" or 2". I have a friend
who does this all the time. Remember the 1/2sq. for angles.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:47 PM

That's pretty neat. Try blowing it up to be 12" square (300%) then maybe you will have an easier time with the shapes.

Good Luck!! Have fun too.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:18 PM

i to am a copier. i have tried to change, but thats me.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Sounds like a job for EQ7
Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM

You can take simple half square triangles and arrange them in any log cabin setting for the same result...or arrange them following a simple cross stitch design to make an easter thing.

[quote=pamkasperi]I want a cute and easy girly easter lap quilt pattern - something other than just blocks - on this now idea in my head other than what I don't want.