Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desparately need Bird advice >

Desparately need Bird advice

Desparately need Bird advice

Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

Sadiemae, I never had a bird but when you said your one bird died of sadness when your husband passed it just melted my heart.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Sadiemae, I never had a bird but when you said your one bird died of sadness when your husband passed it just melted my heart.
It was so sad, he was such a sweet bird.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM

there is a africangreyparrotforum.com you can go to and ask them questions to there is alot of people on there that are looking for birds to rehome...May I ask what kind of birds you have..I just had a senegal parrot gave to me and I have an african grey parrot.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Rhonda, I have them separated and the screaming has begun. I think it will be an early night. I gave them each a cracker and they each stuck their beak between the bars and took the cracker before I could put it anywhere, so I think that is a good beginning. Simon gobbled his down immediately, but Pepper dropped his and just kept on screaming.(I don't know for sure if this one is a he or a she.)
Do you have them in a darkened place or have a dark cloth over each cage at night? That might help the screaming at least so you can sleep. You might try playing a recording of other birds to slow down the screaming.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

I think they can probably hear each other, hence the screaming. The bedroom doesn't have heat, so I can't put one in there until it warms up some more. I will cover them in a couple of minutes when I go to bed.

Simon is a Mini-McCaw. Piper(I changed it from Pickle) is a Green Cheek Conure. I was told the Conure was a boy, but the cheeks aren't really very bright green, so I wonder if it is a girl.

Do you have any idea what the bobbing of the head conveys? It does not seem aggressive, but they both just bob their heads up and down at times kind of like you were saying yes.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 PM

I am not a bird person. I inherited a bird. A cockatiel. No idea how old she was, but she was a mean one. So mean no one would take the time to deal with her, so I got her. I named her Tisha, after Mortisha, she was evil. Bit me at every chance. I was determined to win her over. I did as someone has suggested. I started leaving her door open, since I wasn't allowed in. It took a LONG time, and a lot of patients. But eventually she "liked" us, she would come out and walk on the floor with the dog, chase the cat. She didn't like being handled, but would let me pick her up. She is the only bird I ever had.
I woudln't give up on them, They need time. Tisha would bob her head when she was excited or happy. Don't know if that is of any help.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Am I correct is assuming that the two birds you have now are cockatiels? Were they hand reared or raised by their parents?

As suggested, a local vet that is an avian vet may know of a way of placing one of your birds with a good family. It sounds like the two of them may have bonded with each other so they are not receptive to you. I'm not sure what separating them will do. I would hope that in time the remaining bird would bond with you because they are very social and need attention. You might ask the vet about what to expect if you separate them.

I've always had only one bird at a time. I would hope that with time you can earn the bird's trust, and the biting behavior will cease. I wish I could be of more help.

p.s. Our cockatiel really feared some ringtones. When the phone rang he would fly away in a panic, and he actually hurt himself quite seriously one time. We finally found a phone that had a ringer he would tolerate. I don't know if it was the pitch that bothered him. He also hated the warning sound for the emergency broadcast system that would come up on the TV .

p.s.s. Try offering your birds cooked rice, scrambled eggs, cooked pasta, cheese, cereal like cheerios, any type of cracker (but watch the salt), bread, cooked cereal like oatmeal, fruits, and nuts. Avoid avocado and chocolate.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM

You could put an add in Craigs list too!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

It takes along time to get a bird to accept new foods. We have tried several but she refuses to try them. I keep trying and so does DH from time to time. He gives her apple and crackers most days.

I had a green headed conure for awhile but it came to me mean and I think it had been mistreated. I found it a better home.

You do want to watch your two Sadie as when I had two cockatiels who were brother and sister and they bonded as mates - I tried to seperate them and I came home one day to find Petey( who became Petra when we found he was a she) had pulled out blood feathers and she had blood all over the place. I had to put them back together. So go slowly and watch to see if they will both be alright apart.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanetM
Am I correct is assuming that the two birds you have now are cockatiels? Were they hand reared or raised by their parents?

As suggested, a local vet that is an avian vet may know of a way of placing one of your birds with a good family. It sounds like the two of them may have bonded with each other so they are not receptive to you. I'm not sure what separating them will do. I would hope that in time the remaining bird would bond with you because they are very social and need attention. You might ask the vet about what to expect if you separate them.

I've always had only one bird at a time. I would hope that with time you can earn the bird's trust, and the biting behavior will cease. I wish I could be of more help.

p.s. Our cockatiel really feared some ringtones. When the phone rang he would fly away in a panic, and he actually hurt himself quite seriously one time. We finally found a phone that had a ringer he would tolerate. I don't know if it was the pitch that bothered him. He also hated the warning sound for the emergency broadcast system that would come up on the TV .

p.s.s. Try offering your birds cooked rice, scrambled eggs, cooked pasta, cheese, cereal like cheerios, any type of cracker (but watch the salt), bread, cooked cereal like oatmeal, fruits, and nuts. Avoid avocado and chocolate.
No these are a Mini-McCaw and a Green Cheek Conure. We had a hand fed Cockatiel, but he died right after my husbad died. It was really hard. The vet said that he mourned himself to death and I couldn't have done anything to help him. He was the opposite of yours, he loved ringtones. He would learn to mimick them. The first time I ran to answer the phone and it wasn't ringing it took a minute to figure out it was Fred. He would learn all kinds of whistles and sounds from the tv. It was really neat.

Simon and Piper are bonded in that they want to be near each other, but they can't be together or they bite each other and Simon is so much bigger he would hurt Piper. I am watching to be sure they eat. If they stop eating I will put them back beside each other. It is strange because they don't really act like they are scared, it is more like they just don't want to be touched so they look at me as to say "bug off!" I will go slow now that I have a place to start. I appreciate everyone's ideas. I just didn't kow where to start. I think I will put a radio near each one and I think I have some extra toys somewhere, I will look tomorrow. I know that you should move the toys around every 5 or 6 weeks, so I will do that also.