Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desparately need Bird advice >

Desparately need Bird advice

Desparately need Bird advice

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Chris Kieffer
Sadiemae, I have heard the best way to gain a bird's trust is to hand feed it special treats, just like you mentioned earlier. I have an umbrella cockatoo, and two of her favorite treats are chicken (cooked of course) and toast with a little peanut butter. She nibbles on ALOT of what we eat. Our breeder told us the only things she absolutely couldn't have were: chocolate,rhubarb,onion, and avocado. He said anything else was okay in moderation along with her daily seed mixture. Hope this helps a little!
I use Cheerios because they are easy for Snick to get ahold of. As she is a cockatiel I break them in half so she has an easier time getting ahold of it. But as your birds are bigger you wouldn't have to do that.
They recommend you start a new food by putting in a dish seperate from the seed dish and replace any fresh food after 30 mins if it isn't eaten.
I have put cheerios in a dish and just leave it in the cage for a few hours. There is nothing to go bad with cheerios. If your bird gets the taste of the cheerios then you can work on getting him to accept your hand holding the cheerios.

You can also take a stick or a string and put cheerios on it like making a garland. Then hang it in the cage. If you can get your bird interested in the food you offer he will eventually ignore the hand and think about the food.
You can also do the garland thing with dried fruits.

Always always keep your hand below the bird when working around him. He will not feel as threatened that way.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Yes I would seperate them. My sister had a pet store and usually they were mean when together. It's worth a shot.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Ask your vet if they know of anyone. What type of birds. I am in the market for a cockatiel. I have contacted a local vet and they referred me to someone. I am waiting to hear from her.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patsyo56721
Ask your vet if they know of anyone. What type of birds. I am in the market for a cockatiel. I have contacted a local vet and they referred me to someone. I am waiting to hear from her.
a Mini-McCaw and a Green Cheek Conure
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 PM

What sex are the birds? Are the cages too close together?
What species are they? Do a internet search on the birds.
There are some good sites on the net. Why do you think they are wild? Maybe you need to let them have their own rooms for a while. Most parrots have a dawn to dusk cycle on waking and sleeping. Mine gets up at 7AM and bed time at 7Pm. Your local public library should have books on what you need.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Originally Posted by Chris Kieffer
Sadiemae, I have heard the best way to gain a bird's trust is to hand feed it special treats, just like you mentioned earlier. I have an umbrella cockatoo, and two of her favorite treats are chicken (cooked of course) and toast with a little peanut butter. She nibbles on ALOT of what we eat. Our breeder told us the only things she absolutely couldn't have were: chocolate,rhubarb,onion, and avocado. He said anything else was okay in moderation along with her daily seed mixture. Hope this helps a little!
I use Cheerios because they are easy for Snick to get ahold of. As she is a cockatiel I break them in half so she has an easier time getting ahold of it. But as your birds are bigger you wouldn't have to do that.
They recommend you start a new food by putting in a dish seperate from the seed dish and replace any fresh food after 30 mins if it isn't eaten.
I have put cheerios in a dish and just leave it in the cage for a few hours. There is nothing to go bad with cheerios. If your bird gets the taste of the cheerios then you can work on getting him to accept your hand holding the cheerios.

You can also take a stick or a string and put cheerios on it like making a garland. Then hang it in the cage. If you can get your bird interested in the food you offer he will eventually ignore the hand and think about the food.
You can also do the garland thing with dried fruits.

Always always keep your hand below the bird when working around him. He will not feel as threatened that way.
Cheerios are a great idea! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 01:23 PM

One more thing I learned make sure you are always taller than the bird. So, lower the cage and do not let them climb higher than your hand, make sure you don't raise your hand
above your head. The higher branch in the tree has the TOP
BIRD in it. You are the TOP BIRD. It took me almost 1 yr. to get our rescue bird to repect and love us. Good luck
Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pat M.
What sex are the birds? Are the cages too close together?
What species are they? Do a internet search on the birds.
There are some good sites on the net. Why do you think they are wild? Maybe you need to let them have their own rooms for a while. Most parrots have a dawn to dusk cycle on waking and sleeping. Mine gets up at 7AM and bed time at 7Pm. Your local public library should have books on what you need.
Our public library is smaller than my living room, so it isn't any help. I have been reading everything I can find on-line.
Simon is a Mini-McCaw. Piper is a Green Cheek Conure. They are supposed to both be males. I put Piper in the bathroom, and Simon is in the utility room. When it warms up more I would like to put Piper in my bedroom instead of the bathroom, but there is no heat in the bedroom so I can't put him there yet. They aren't "wild" as in caught in the wild, but they are definitely aggressive. You can't put your hand in either cage without protection. I have begun offering them crackers. Simon takes his and immediately eats it, but Piper just drops it and tries to bite me. One small step at a time I guess.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:33 PM

In the spring the birds can be hormonal and not easy to get along with, especailly the males. Did you get the info I sent you under private email? Take care.
Linda
Old 04-03-2011, 04:11 PM

Too bad you live so far or I would take your bird and calm him/her down for you. I have raised birds for many years and it can be done just takes time and lots of paciences.
Good luck to you.