Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Desparately need Bird advice >

Desparately need Bird advice

Desparately need Bird advice

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 AM

I was going to suggest you slowly separate them by moving the cage of one a little closer to the door every day or so. Once it is out the door continue moving it to another room. It may take some time, but it may also lessen the separation anxiety. You could also put a note on the bulletin board at your local grocery store once it is totally separated.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Aurora
I was going to suggest you slowly separate them by moving the cage of one a little closer to the door every day or so. Once it is out the door continue moving it to another room. It may take some time, but it may also lessen the separation anxiety. You could also put a note on the bulletin board at your local grocery store once it is totally separated.
If they seem too upset today, I will try this. It seems as though as long as they can hear each other they are okay, but I won't know for sure yet. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 AM

I could not tell from your post if the birds are cockatiels or another breed of bird. There ar emany sites on line you can check for help. I have an on line friend who might be able to help you. She lives in the Black Hills part of S D and might know of some organizations that could help you. Let me know and I will get in touch with her, also I can send you some sites if interested.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:11 AM

I inherited one that didn't like women bites at me every time I walk past. Started out giving it two peanuts one for claws one for beak took it a while to let go to bite me. Gave me enough time to fill dishes. Some said it was because it missed the boy it belonged to. After a while got to the point it would climb on a dowel to come out of cage so I could clean. You have to just keep trying and be watchful you can wear them down. Sorry for the lose of DH put an ad in paper and sell the one you don't want it will give you a little break on the funds front. good luck
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM

Asking one more time what kind of birds are they? I have never met a mean cockatiel, but I am sure there are some. But when you said one destroyed a toy in a day, it sounds more like a bigger parrot. I give my cockatoo a box with smaller boxes filled with treats in it. He spends a day destroying the box and it did not cost me anything other than the treats or peanuts etc I put in the small boxes. There are on line toy making groups where you learn to make your own toys which are much cheaper than bought ones. You can email me at [email protected] and I will send you info on groups that will help you and keep costs down on food and toys. Take care.
Linda
Old 04-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by LindaaJR
Asking one more time what kind of birds are they? I have never met a mean cockatiel, but I am sure there are some. But when you said one destroyed a toy in a day, it sounds more like a bigger parrot. I give my cockatoo a box with smaller boxes filled with treats in it. He spends a day destroying the box and it did not cost me anything other than the treats or peanuts etc I put in the small boxes. There are on line toy making groups where you learn to make your own toys which are much cheaper than bought ones. You can email me at [email protected] and I will send you info on groups that will help you and keep costs down on food and toys. Take care.
Linda
a Mini-McCaw and a Green Cheek Conure
Old 04-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I didn't get to answer before. I tried. My computer only wants to post when it wants to posts today.

I think I have figured out how to get their wings and nails clipped. My doctor has birds. I don't know if they clip their birds' wings or not, but I am positive that they would help me. I helped his wife with the tension on her HQ 16, so I know where she lives. lol

Thanks everyone! I am feeling so much better about being able to make the best choice for them.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Here's a website for a bird rescue in Idaho. Maybe they can help.

http://www.pamperedparrots.org

Good luck placing your birds if that's what you want to do. I used to have cockatiels, but I'm in Florida and can't adopt yours from this distance.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 PM

If these 2 birds are bonded to each other it may not be wise to seperate. More problems could arise, more aggresion, feather plucking, nosier. ect. Maybe best to let them go to some one that would keep them together, and start with a single bird.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Sadiemae, I have heard the best way to gain a bird's trust is to hand feed it special treats, just like you mentioned earlier. I have an umbrella cockatoo, and two of her favorite treats are chicken (cooked of course) and toast with a little peanut butter. She nibbles on ALOT of what we eat. Our breeder told us the only things she absolutely couldn't have were: chocolate,rhubarb,onion, and avocado. He said anything else was okay in moderation along with her daily seed mixture. Hope this helps a little!