Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which device is best

Which device is best

I am thinking about getting an electronic device for reading and going on line. Do not want a monthly charge, or at least a big one. Most business places here have it avaialble. What do any of you fine ladies and gentleman have, how do you like and and big factor- cost to buy and use.
    Thanks for your information

[QUOTE=Carol34446;7315524]I am thinking about getting an electronic device for reading and going on line. Do not want a monthly charge, or at least a big one. Most business places here have it avaialble. What do any of you fine ladies and gentleman have, how do you like and and big factor

My husband has a kindle. He uses it to get online all the time. Not so much reading though.

Blog Entries
    I have an iPad Air which I like, but it is pricey.

Most devices do NOT have a monthly charge. The monthly charge is if you buy a device (such as an iPad) that has cellular capabilities (cellular costs an extra $100 on an iPad). Cellular capability means you can hook it up to your cell phone account (usually for $10/month) so that, if you take it outside your house to a place that doesn't have Wi-Fi, you can still cruise the net by means of your cell phone's data plan (assuming you have a smart phone which requires the data plan).

Assuming you have internet in your house, you can simply create a wi-fi network in your home so your device can hook up to the internet by means of your wi-fi network. I believe wi-fi is free and easy to do with most internet providers. My daughter, who has CenturyLink for internet, simply had to enter the password on her router into her iPad in order to link the iPad via wi-fi to her CenturyLink internet.

Are you sure you like reading on an electronic device? I would never consider reading a book on my iPad (or any other reader) because I just don't like it. If you have a BestBuy near you, I would recommend stopping in there several times to try out the various tablets and readers they have. Also, BestBuy floor people are well-trained and can explain many of the differences (and they are not on commission, so you don't need to feel obliged to buy).

We have had several discussions recently on iPad, kindle, Samsung tablet, etc. lots of opinions. I have an iPad which works with my iMac and iPhone. Try the search function for more info
    Alyce

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have tablet that works with my Samsung. I use both. I can put my phone on airplane in drs ofc then do what I need to do on my tablet. They don't want you on the phone but you can use your tablet. Took photo of lady's newborn then sent it to her email. tablets take great photos.

I got a Kindle Fire 6 recently, one day sale for $69, couldn't resist. I still have my old Kindle for reading books.

Power Poster
    I have my iPad connected to my wifi in my house. I can use free wifi in other places but I don't usually. I take pictures with it to put on QB and use it for YouTube, Google etc.
    I saw on a news story something about Amazon supposed to be coming out with some kind of tablet for Christmas at $50 but I don't know what it will do.

I have a Kindle Fire HD - great for online use and brilliant for reading, you can adjust font size and even have it set so the brightness of screen adjusts to any given light levels - wouldn't be without mine.

"best" is in the eye of the beholder. Happy shopping and comparing!
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have a Samsung tablet and really like it. Bought it primarily for business purposes vs the Windows tablet. The samsung has MS office so I can do word docs; excel; etc. It does not have cell capabilities so no monthly charge but can (and do) hook up to free wifi home and elsewhere. I have downloaded library books and it works in a pinch when I'm waiting places but not my preferred method of reading either.

I agree with going to Best Buy and chatting with the folks there. The Samsung lady I dealt with was wonderful. She totally understood my dinosaur mind and desires vs some of the younger folks and did not try to up-sell me on something I did not want.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Prism 99. Make sure you like reading from the electronic device. the electronic devices didn't do it for me. I like holding a BOOK! And I like the smell of a BOOK!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Power Poster
    My kids gave me a. noodk + - it is adequate fot "looking at" things on- line And plaing slots and solitaire.

I prefer a "real" keyboard to a screen "keyboard."

There is no additional charge for having the devices. I think one can go to wifi hot spots and use them for free.

I do not know about the security of these, though.

For electronic reading I have the Nook Simple Touch Glowlight from Barnes and Noble. Its lightweight and it has a light you can turn off and on. Great for airplanes, reading in bed, etc. It's nothing fancy, you can change the font size, use bookmarks and look up word definitions. It does look up to your home WiFi but the only internet access is to the Barnes and Noble website for buying books. You can also download free books from most public libraries, then use the USB cord that comes with the Nook and put them on your Nook. Barnes and Nobles has a lot of free books and some of their books can be shared with friends that have Nooks. Again, it's small, $90. I think but they have sales all the time. I have an iPhone, iPad Air 2 and MacBook Pro but the nook is small and light weight and I just like the simplicity of it for reading. Hubs has one also and we love them so much our three grandkids have them too.

Read on my original Kindle and kindle app on my iPad. Like the pads. Original cost to buy but no monthly fee. Use wifi from home. Lots I can not do and will consider a laptop for replacement..

We are a Kindle family. We have all different types of Kindles. I love my Kindle Fire. I keep a basic Kindle in my purse to read when stuck somewhere. The battery charge lasts for weeks. The battery charge on a Fire last about 8 hrs if going online or watching movies. If you have a smart phone you can use it like a Kindle with the free app. I think the Kindle app will work on most any device.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I have both a Kindle Touch and an iPad. I do not get online with the Kindle. I use my iPad more than I use my laptop computer. I love it and will replace it with another iPad when the time eventually arrives. My. IPad I'd WiFi only so I have no monthly fee. The drawback is that I cannot get online with out a connection, which rarely happens. Check out Apple's refurbished website, before you buy.

Blog Entries
    I have the lPad Air ...it's my 4 th lPad.Was glad to sell my Apple laptop,just too clunky (JMO )to use the way I do. iPad can go in my purse,move from side table,to counter,to bedside table. I have Time Warner wifi & it works great. Most places like hospitals,schools,etc have free wifi.
    Apple sells used units with a good warranty.
    Pat

I've been reading a lot more books since I got my tablet. I have a Asus Memo Pad 7.
    My sister has a Samsung Tab 3. It's nice for browsing but I find it too big to read.
    The Memo Pad 7 is like the size of a book...not so convenient for browsing.
    I can check my email or do a quick search but not much more.
    The Memo Pad 8 is newer but bigger. Don't think I'd want anything bigger than
    a 7" screen for reading. It gets too heavy.
    If you like to sit outside to read you are probably better off with an e-reader
    or a Kindle.

Love love love my kindle fire HD. Not just for reading, but many other applications. It goes wherever I go. I never thought that I would become techieat all, but it is so nice to have my own notes, ideas and color thoughts when I go to my LQS. I even have pics on there that have inspired an applique piece. My grocery lists, Dr visits, and all that are right there, and not on a small screen like my phone.

Blog Entries
    I have an iPad 3 (given to me by my step-mil), and my hubs has
    a Nexus 7 tablet. We each prefer what we have.

Although I don't use my iPad outside of home, I DO sometimes
    take it to work with me to watch some of my sewing/quilting programs
    that is on my desktop computer at home (I have remote access setup).
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I don't have a reader - I have the Kindle app on my smart phone and use that. Well, actually I do have a Nook, but it's much more convenient for me to just use my phone.

I have had a basic Kindle for many years and read books on it constantly. I got it after I had torn rotator cuff injuries
    in both shoulders and could not hold a book at all. I was desperate until I saw Jeff Bezos telling Charlie Rose about
    the new device for reading. and I ordered one the next day. I too love the smell and feel of a book but facing months
    or years of no reading was intolerable. I love being able to go on vacation with a library in my pocketbook. I do not
    try to read anything with illustrations or directions in them; I can use my laptop for those . But the arthritis in my
    shouiders is still happy with the lightweight Kindle for reading.
    Last edited by Ikesgram; 09-14-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: missed letters

Blog Entries
    I have an iPad which I don't have a SIM card in This is a cheap way no SIM card. Because the iPad is wifi it connects to my home Internet system . I am then able to find quiltingboard as well as usual Internet searches, including emails.
    i have the app for the amazon kindle where I access the bookstore and purchase books and read books. I like a kindle app for reading on iPad or a kindle devise as I can take 100 books with me wherever I go.they are light to hold and you don't have the difficulty of holding pages down to read a page.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have a Google Nexus 7, the size is a perfect fit for my purse and love it! I got it in 2012, so it's getting old & slow! I've got about 100 books on it via the free kindle app and it connects to any wifi so I can do anything online. I'm ready for a new tablet and plan to get another Nexus! I even take it to the gym with me and put it on the little treadmill ledge, I read a book and listen to my downloaded music with my earbuds while exercising!
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

Blog Entries
    I use an iPad to read and browse online, I use it a lot. I prefer it to a dedicated e-reader such as Kindles or Kobos because you can do so much more with a tablet. I can do all my banking online, listen to music, take photos, email, make myself reminders/to do lists, track appointments with a calendar, and of course read and post to QB! There are so many Apps you can put on a tablet, and many of them are free. For example I recently put an App that records my husband's snoring - it graphs how long he snores, at what times and how loud - so with proof in hand I was able to convince him that he really does need to seek medical help.
    I have a city library membership (free) and with that I can go online and search for books to borrow (free). I use an App called Overdrive, which lets me read anywhere, anytime, no Wifi connection necessary except for the brief time needed to download the e-book.
    I hardly ever read paper books anymore, as I find it too tiring for my eyes - with tablets it is easy to make the display larger.

Of course tablets are more expensive to buy initially than a Kindle, but if you think that you would find the other features useful then it's worth it - IMHO
    Valerie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast