Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DH:1, Mouse:0

Blog Entries
    What I hate worse than mice are roaches. Here in the south they are crazy lil creatures. Never had them up north but omg here especially if it rains. I use DE to get them. They eat this stuff and go back to nest and die and babies eat the mother and they die. I know its gross. Since I got this electronic device, haven't seem too many around. Mice are disease carriers like anything else that crawls.

Agree! Get the boogers! Hate them!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Well at our house the cat does not go for the mice. My little wiener dogs get them. Great hunters.

No activity in the traps for two days now. So tonight we move them from the main floor up to the attic. This means war!

Put out the decon. I found that it works well, just make sure pets don't get to it, put it under something low. The mice will find it, but the others don't.

Blog Entries
    Mousetrap story to get your morning off to a good start....
    Several years ago, while living with my younger sister while she endured "chemo", we moved into a house, in a little bitty Tennessee town, that had a severe mouse problem. The house was riddled with them. Sister's DH went to the hardware store to buy traps and found these wonderful sticky traps that were advertised as humane...not! The first morning we awoke to horrible screeching noises. All four traps had mice stuck to them! One even had two mice! Her DH had already left for a long haul run and would be gone six days. My sister starts bouncing up a down screaming ewwe! ewww! ewww! She carefully picks up one of the traps so the mouse can't touch her, and carefully caries it outside to throw it in the trash. As she stepped out the door, the wind caught it and blew it over to the neighbors house, and stuck glue side down, it to the outer wall of the house, about 7 feet up! Now my sister is faced with meeting her new neighbor, to ask for help in getting her mousetrap back to throw away...lol! All I could do to help is stand on the porch and laugh! The neighbor was kind enough to help get it down, but as he handed it back to her (with mouse still screaming,mind) and as she takes it from him, the wind caught it again! This time it stuck to the side of her pickup! I am still on the porch laughing all the harder, as she now gets to unstick it from the truck door. She finally got it pulled loose, mouse has finally shut up, she drops it into the trash, and we bought our first cup of coffee that morning on the way back from buying Decon! My sides hurt all day!
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    omg that's too funny but it is true -sticky traps are not humane in any way. lol I have a large wood pile and one year I seen between the fences (neighbors and mine) rats running thru there like it was the INdy -500. So I bought some decon and put it in between the fences. The rats ate it and ran into m y neighbors yard and died. One day my neighbor said to me, " hey have you been finding dead rats in your yard, cuz I been finding a few here and don't know where they are coming from"? All I could do is just laugh and laugh and think omg!. Thank go he is a good neighbor but the decon took care of the problem. Only seen 1 this year and a nite owl caught it...

I will have to look up decon on the internet - not sure what it is!

Some funny stories to laugh about - maybe not in the moment....

Blog Entries
    The only thing in the world I'm scared of (make that petrified of) is a mouse/rat. Alive or dead. They got into my a/c vent and I thought I would have a heart attack. One of my dad's cousins scared me with one when I was about 4-5. Snakes I can handle - literally but mice/rats make me hurt myself running away.
    TwandasMom

Power Poster
    I prefer traps over poison. Not that I mind it killing mice and rats but anything that eats them gets poisoned also...cats, skunks, opossums, owls, foxes etc.

Quote Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
    Mousetrap story to get your morning off to a good start....
    Several years ago, while living with my younger sister while she endured "chemo", we moved into a house, in a little bitty Tennessee town, that had a severe mouse problem. The house was riddled with them. Sister's DH went to the hardware store to buy traps and found these wonderful sticky traps that were advertised as humane...not! The first morning we awoke to horrible screeching noises. All four traps had mice stuck to them! One even had two mice! Her DH had already left for a long haul run and would be gone six days. My sister starts bouncing up a down screaming ewwe! ewww! ewww! She carefully picks up one of the traps so the mouse can't touch her, and carefully caries it outside to throw it in the trash. As she stepped out the door, the wind caught it and blew it over to the neighbors house, and stuck glue side down, it to the outer wall of the house, about 7 feet up! Now my sister is faced with meeting her new neighbor, to ask for help in getting her mousetrap back to throw away...lol! All I could do to help is stand on the porch and laugh! The neighbor was kind enough to help get it down, but as he handed it back to her (with mouse still screaming,mind) and as she takes it from him, the wind caught it again! This time it stuck to the side of her pickup! I am still on the porch laughing all the harder, as she now gets to unstick it from the truck door. She finally got it pulled loose, mouse has finally shut up, she drops it into the trash, and we bought our first cup of coffee that morning on the way back from buying Decon! My sides hurt all day!
    Thanks for making me laugh out loud! Although I am totally sympathetic to your sister's problem, your description of it was just what I needed today!

Very scary to use poison outdoors or if you have other pets indoors. Anything that handles the poisoned (hopefully dead) critter can also be killed. This includes your or your neighbor's pets and children.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I prefer traps over poison. Not that I mind it killing mice and rats but anything that eats them gets poisoned also...cats, skunks, opossums, owls, foxes etc.

The best rats, mice are dead one. Carry deadly diseases and can ruin an attic, chew through wires and cause fires…
    Yeah, dead is best...

Blog Entries
    A mouse and a snake are two things that make me scream.

Best of luck with controlling them.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Hadn't seen any mice for awhile. Then just 2 nights ago, our Brutus (who thinks he is ALpha male) started barking like crazy in middle of night (about 130 am). Bridget not so much. She's like what the Hades are you b****ing about now? Got up and 2 small mice just watching him. I grabbed DH work boot (it was close) and threw at them. Got them both. Grabbed broom and dustpan and took them to the dumpster. Evidently just stunned them. DH heard them when he got up to go to work and set out for garbage pickup. Brutus will wake you if there is any kind of bug. He hates spiders.

Too funny tessagin!

Well the Great White Mouse Hunter (DH) has caught three more! Four mice. I am sure we will find more. Heading up the attic with the GWMH in a few minutes to check the trap line up there!

I think I'd rather have a mouse in the house than the raccoons currently residing in our NJ attic.

Yes, we have hired a company to trap them and release them - far away from our house!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWVw-j8eYSk

You all will probably hate me for this.
    June

Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post

Actually I would like to thank you for that! It puts our situation into perspective! We found one mouse in the attic traps. Up to five now.
    Last edited by Trisher; 02-01-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post

Wow! I still think mice are cute - outside and in small numbers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2