Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DH:1, Mouse:0

DH:1, Mouse:0

Oh the joys of living in the country. A mouse in the house. Edit... Mice in the house - no such thing as one mouse.

However this morning, there is one less mouse in the house. The battle continues.

I know there are worse things.... but I do not like sharing my space with mice.

I hate meeces to pieces!

In our old house about 25 years ago, I was in the bathroom in the middle of the night, just minding my own business. Suddenly, a little gray mouse ran under the bathroom door, looked around, and ran back out. It was so quick, I didn't quite believe what I saw. In the morning, I told my DH, and he set some traps, got the little stinker! I was very glad, I'm not crazy about midnight visitors who can get under doors!

Our outside cat makes a deposit of mice and moles at our backdoor almost weekly. No rodent problem at all around here. DH says it's the only animal we have that earns it's keep. He went to the shelter and got another one to help out. They have a heated place with comfy cat beds to get in an out of at will before I get replies about outside pets LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I had a opulent little buddies in the ceiling tiles of my sewing room last winter...I gave the hubby his choice..get the mice before I actually see one or I get cats! He dosent want pets right now so he got the mice within two days..all gone! Haven't seen tracks from one since!

Power Poster
    Oh yes, if you hear or see a mouse they are usually not alone. We keep mouse traps set all the time in the attic baited with a little peanut butter. I hate to kill the dear little things but I cannot abide them in the house. For those who get upset and use the catch and release traps, you just end up catching the same mouse and his friends over and over.

Yes I feel the same way as Tartan but it was a losing battle. I had a big one who had numerous hiding places. Put some poison out and he must have left and died. He got into some of my fabric and boy can they every leave their mark !! He would steal food from my Westie bowl as my Westie slept right next to it.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

We will wage war with traps (sorry people - mice are dirty rodents that carry diseases that can kill humans) for now.

Plan #2 involves our grandkitty - having sleepovers.

Plan #3 - setting up those noise emitting deterrents.

We had a mouse last week! Only one, as it was brought in by DC (Dear Cat? Or D... Cat?). DH caught it and released over the fence. DC probably ate it next morning.
    Margaret F

Blog Entries
    *** I have had one this year also.
    *** They seem to go in cycles -
    *** some years none -
    *** then the population explodes.
    *** They like to get into the motor of your lawn mower in my out building.
    *** Cost me $60. to get the bed taken out last year.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

I have four cats, and my sister next door has about eleven. I don't think I've seen a mouse in about 7 years.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I have two old cats who used to be great (indoor) hunters. Then they became fans of the 'catch and release' program--especially in my bedroom at 3 am!! Now they look at the mice and doze off. I have great clothespin style traps that I got at Home Depot. Easy to set and easy to dispose of the 'remains'. Never have to actually touch the body. We average about 1 mouse every week or so during the winter. They have been fat and sassy this year.
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down the their level and beat you with experience.

We have a ton this year! Have never had any trouble in the nine years we've lived here in the country, but we had a wet spring and summer. We've caught about 16 (!) since Thanksgiving. I am NOT a mouse fan, for sure and they have found hantavirus in mice in our county, so I'm constantly looking for poop or pee and wiping everything down with bleach wipes. Dh found a YouTube where a guy suggested using a piece of tootsie roll for bait. You chew it a bit to soften it and put it on the bait thing on a snap trap. Works like a charm! It sticks to the trap so they can't steal the bait.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    One had babies in one of my scrap boxes. Lucky for me it wasn't a box of fondness. I put a trap in to catch "Momma and got her. Took her remains and the babies all 12 of them to the back corner and let nature take it's course. Smaller birds loved the scraps for their nests. 2 days later no signs of scraps or remains. Would I do it again? You betcha. There is just nothing cute about a rodent of any kind to me. They spread disease. The only cute rodent is an animated one on paper and still not even fond of Mickey or Minnie.

We don't have any mice problems. Kola is the "Great grey striped hunter". And with the dogs, anything that moves in the yard is caught and eaten...lol

Except moles.....Cali (our shy dog) loves to catch them but none of them will eat them.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    do you know mice can have babies every 20 days?

Blog Entries
    I am with you.... I don't like mice in my space either. We have traps laid all around the house. It is a trapping of living in the country. But, I like the country.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

I have an electronic mouse trap and an electronic repeller. I haven't had to use the trap for a long time. Now if I could just get rid of the opossums.

Ick. Before we moved here, our house was in the country. I never thought mice got in the house, but I found droppings in the kitchen cupboards when I was clearing them out for the move. It was so gross. When we moved here, as soon as one appeared in the garage, my husband put out the traps.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    I live in the suburbs and they liked my cloth dish rags, it is the only thing they ate, never saw them but saw a lot of evidence and not just the dishrags. They did not touch the cloth ones only the ones my mother made for me from cotton yarn. Have not seen them in a few years since we set the mouse house trap.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

My mother used to always get field mice in the Fall so she would take some peanut butter, add a string into it and then add it to the mouse trap. The poor little critter will play with the string and get zapped in the process......but it worked like a charm for her. So far I've never seen a mouse in my house here in Iowa. I have a feeling my kitty would just play with it instead of doing her feline duty of taking it out.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Our outside cat makes a deposit of mice and moles at our backdoor almost weekly. No rodent problem at all around here. DH says it's the only animal we have that earns it's keep. He went to the shelter and got another one to help out. They have a heated place with comfy cat beds to get in an out of at will before I get replies about outside pets LOL
    I have 2 older outside cats and they have an old dog house with a heated whelping mat in there to stay warm. When we have a warm spell, they go off for a few days but sometimes 10 days, before coming back to their warm house. I think they are just on vacation during those times and love to see them back home again.
    Aren't they great to make sure we know they are busy 'working' when we see their treasure.

If my cats saw a mouse in the house they would just think it was another pet I brought home.

I hate mice, they can be so destructive. They will chew up anything for bedding. Cost doesn't matter. Fixing openings about 1/8" and larger sure slows down the traffic. I have heard they leave a trail of urine and others follow it inside.

I do think Mickey and Minnie are very cute.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
    I had a opulent little buddies in the ceiling tiles of my sewing room last winter...I gave the hubby his choice..get the mice before I actually see one or I get cats! He dosent want pets right now so he got the mice within two days..all gone! Haven't seen tracks from one since!
    Many years ago I had a mouse chew completely through a ceiling tile! They are cute, but very destructive. We lived in the country and always got one or two in the house in the fall when the fields were cut down for winter. Traps with peanut butter always did the trick.

When we were first married, We would have them in the house all the time. We had refinished the entire old house. It had been empty for many years. I don`t know what was worse, a mouse running over a foot when you got up in the night or when the trap went off in the middle of the night in our closet, some were loud. Then came the barn work, My hubby thought it was funny to send me to the pig barn to get a shovel, after dark, and when I picked up the shovel there would be a rat. A whole bunch of near by farmers could hear me.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Yep when one lives in the country ya get em. DH's parents moved next door and they are catching mice-MIL thinks of them as dirty and their house is dirty. They want to throw something under the house to take care of the mice .. told em to go to a co-op as the traps aren't working.
    We have them but not in the house as the foster cat takes care of them.

Onebyone: when we had our 40+ acres we had heated dog houses for the cats and they also led into the garage which was heated. Once in a while we would let them in the house to come by the fireplace to get warm if it was that cold outside and give them some cooked chicken as a reward. Usually they just got the leftover meats when out in the garage in addition to their cat food. Great cats tho. We did have one that was momma kitty and she would alert us if the kids were crying or in danger. Miss her for sure !
    Oh and no mice .. LOL
    Last edited by Caswews; 01-19-2015 at 07:02 PM.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast