Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
DH's response to "a lot of fabric" >

DH's response to "a lot of fabric"

DH's response to "a lot of fabric"

Old 04-06-2013, 08:08 AM

I went to a tag sale awhile ago, and it really scared me.. The wife past away in her forties, and the husband was getting ready to move. The upper floor had two rooms, and fabric that she would never have been able to use if she lived to 100.. I would've bought a ton of fabric, but was totally overwhelmed by all that was there..
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 AM

Ah, ignorance is such bliss. I'm surprised that the realtor hasn't been to a quilter's house before. LOL
Old 04-06-2013, 12:45 PM

We are going to get ready to put our house up for sale. I sew for my second job and everything gets put on hold (all my projects and even house cleaning) when I have a sewing job I'm working on. My husband said they will just have to understand. I do plan on taking down one of my machines and cabinet and fold down the extensions on the other cabinet. Then my projects and stash can be put in totes in the basement or I'll sort as I go and doante or put in a garage sale. I do want the room to look like it could be a bedroom, which it is.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
QM
Power Poster

When we were house hunting 2 years ago we saw a wonderful place with a studio over the garage. DH said the same thing about it being right for my quilting. Our bid was rejected, unfortunately. The place was still on the market last time I looked.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Good luck with the move AU, would have a hard time moving but can understand that you want to get closer to the GK, as there is nothing better.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:23 PM

My daughter just bought a house last week. I went to see it when she was making the offer. The house is practically empty and there is a family living there with 2 kids. Not 1 thing on the kitchen counters. There were a few toys in the bonus room. How do people live like that? One thing I thought was funny was that the master bed was made very messily. It's that way in the pictures too. Wouldn't you make sure it was perfect for a picture to sell your house? LOL
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04 AM

Quick update! Nothing can make you clear out stuff as fast as getting the professional movers' estimates. Have been donating as we go! The sewing room stays intact- daughter took her bedroom set with her when she finished college. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:55 PM

I know that a neat and clean house will sell faster than a messy one. It would be very difficult for me to have to pack up all my sewing items in order to sell. I would have serious withdrawal if I couldn't sew every day!
Old 04-18-2013, 07:08 PM

I highly recommend REALLY going through your things and weed out big time, as what you want to do is sell your home, AND make sure things don't walk out the door when your home is being shown. We've sold a number of homes, and we always do that, and all of it goes into a temporary storage unit, after being packed up, and sorting out what gets donated, into a yard sale, etc. By doing that I was able to carefully label boxes, pack very well and make sure we had no damage when we unpacked. Also, do a complete list of improvements made (year done, too), and measurements of rooms, some pictures on the flyers, etc. I actually did the sales flyer for our last big house we sold, because I knew if I didn't the house wouldn't sell....it worked! Good luck to you!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I know that a neat and clean house will sell faster than a messy one. It would be very difficult for me to have to pack up all my sewing items in order to sell. I would have serious withdrawal if I couldn't sew every day!
Not sewing at home until it is sold. My LQS owner will let you come sew for the day for about 5-6 bucks. Once a home is found where we are going, I will go to the LQS to sew. I had boxed up about 6 projects just for this process so I am treating it like a mini retreat.