Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? >

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Old 08-03-2011, 07:40 AM

God no. No way was I going to have one get married and be a slave to a man. That's what having a hope chest meant where I lived.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM

I had the chest but it wasn't stuffed with things for my future married life.
I actually made the hope chest in 8th grade wood shop and I still have it today. It earned me an A and the woodshop teacher told my mom he had never had a better student. In those days it must have blown him away that a girl did so well. It is made of Mahogany and still sits in my bedroom. It is a little roughed up and needs to be reconditioned, but now it stores little mementos of my past and those of my family.
Who knows I may now start storing quilts I made in it.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

For graduation, I received a small (7x12-?) Lane cedar chest, and still have it. But did not have a hope chest. I did start buying things when I was in high school though. I used Betty Crocker coupons to get my flatware, which I still use!
I just bought kitchen stuff mostly, but had fun.
Thanks for the jog of memories!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Yes I got one when I graduate from high school, 1979 to be exact. But I was bummed a year later, both of my younger sisters got sewing machines because they made their own chest's in Shop class. And at the time I was the one that did most of the sewing for myself and family (since I was 7 years and in 4-H). It didn't make since for the longest time, but I guess it was to encougage them more. It worked on the youngest one, I eventually taught her to quilt, and she is doing great. Now owns her own LAQM.
I still have stuff in mine.......things from my teen years, a outfit I made, wedding pictures and a few other keepsakes from my kids.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM

My daddy made one for me out of cedar in the months up to my birth, and I filled it up until I got married. Then I filled it up for my daughter until she got married. Daddy purchased chests for my two adopted daughters, which we are currently filling up. I still have my original at my house which will go to my first grand-daughter to fill up :)
Old 08-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Yes, I had a Lane cedar chest and in fact I still have it. It is in the attic. Only thing I remember having in it is linens. It was full but my memory is not good!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
you know what I realized isn't fair anymore? I'm 18 and want to get stuff of mine. But I keep reading how some of you got dishes real cheap from grocery stores, or collected things in boxes to send away for bowls and I WISH THEY STILL DID THIS!!!! That's how my grandma got her dishes as well as her sisters. They took turns from oldest to youngest to get dishes and I wish I could do that. I'd have more stuff to add, and maybe have to find another chest!
You could try going to thrift stores and sales. Even though my daughter just signed the lease on her first appt we still collect things for her. This weekend we went into a kitchen store and they had cooking utinsils on sale buy two get one free; they were 2.99 ea so I got her three. Even though the stores rarely do the instore dishes anymore you can still collect things buy just going out and searching for bargins and when you get to use them you'll have the special memories as to how you got them; rather it be a thrift store; craigslist or a yardsale or at a great deal at a local store. I can't wait until my daughter sets up her kitchen; we've been collecting for years and I know she's forgotten some of the things she has now. She had forgotten about her Paula Dean cookware and it was just this past Christmas. The point is; there are always new ways to start collecting new memories for the future; different that the ones in the past but still new.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 AM

I dated a guy from the USS Enterprise when I was a teenager, his name was Stuart, he lived across the street from us. Wow, such memories....Congratulations on your long marriage, I wish you many many more years of happiness.
Originally Posted by MZStitch
Yes I did! My fiance was in the Navy, serving on the USS Enterprise. When they traveled to Pakistan he was allowed to purchase me one and store it on the ship for its return. It's a beautiful rosewood with beautiful carvings. We've been married 23 years now!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:19 AM

I never had a hope chest myself, though I started collecting china long before I was married and kept it in a closet. Does that count? lol. Now I have my mother's cedar chest and I treasure it.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Awwww ! ! !

Originally Posted by dreamer2009
I'M IN MY LATE 50'S
DOES STILL WAITING FOR A CHEST COUNT...LOL