Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did you have a poodle skirt? >

Did you have a poodle skirt?

Did you have a poodle skirt?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by lorimax5859 View Post
Had the skirt (can't remember the color though). Also had the penny loafers that you put a penny in the little slot on the front of the shoe. Remember?
I wasn't born until a couple of months before the '50s ended, but those penny loafers were popular right up through the late '60s. I so wanted a pair, but I was pigeon toed as a child, and my mother made me wear corrective shoes. An aunt felt I should get to wear fun shoes once in a while and bought me a pair of loafers. I adored them so much, I went outside and danced in them. She warned me I'd wear them out, and I did, that same day, lol. Didn't matter, my mother wouldn't let me wear them anyway when she found out. By the time my feet were pronounced straight by the doctor, they were wide and I wasn't able to fit into most fashionable shoes, but I do remember having a pair of tassel loafers at some point.

Thanks, everyone, for your answers about poodle skirt colors. Also for the link to the round skirt site. You know. I'm really hankering for fifties womanly fashions these days, for some reason. Boat neck, three-quarter-sleeve tops, feminine blouses, round skirts... understand, I really live in jeans, but still.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I did not have one I was to little. I remember wanting one.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM

I still have a black felt with white poodle and a pink felt with black poodle. I also have saddle shoes and a letter jacket.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Mine was black. It had a telephone (dial type!) on one side and the receiver on the other side with a red cord attaching them. My can-can was red with black and red plaid trim on the bottom.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 AM

Mine was gray -
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 AM

I did not have one but my sister did grey and pink and black poodle !!!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM

I think mine was magenta with a white poodle on it. I know the poodle was white. The skirt was felt. The poodle had a collar on it and a metal leash that was swagged - maybe up to the waist, I'm not sure where the other end was fastened.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM

What a great memory that I hadn't thought about in years! I had a black taffeta skirt that had velvet swirls on it. The poodle was white and made out of some kind of curly material (don't know what). The leash and collar were made out of pink plastic of some kind. The collar had rhinestones on it. The skirt came down to midcalf and rustled when I walked! It was like I was a princess when I wore it! I wore black saddle oxfords with "bobby" socks! I usually wore a white ruffelly blouse with a black cardigan sweater. What a hoot I must have been!! How I would loved to have had a picture me in it...

Originally Posted by Lisanne View Post
If you had a poodle skirt back in the 1950s, what color was it? I just got to wondering what colors these came in. It's one fashion trend I'd love to see return (for the teens, not me).
Old 11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Born in '58 so I have neither poodle nor skirt.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:27 AM

My poodle skirt was black with a white poodle. I had 2 other felt skirts as well..One was aqua with a big snowflake on it made with rhinestones the other was pink and had rows or cording around it about 2/3 of the way down and again nearer the bottom. I loved those skirts!