Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Discarded Batteries Believed to Have Caused House Fire >

Discarded Batteries Believed to Have Caused House Fire

Discarded Batteries Believed to Have Caused House Fire

Old 01-09-2015, 09:25 AM

I'd read a while back about a fire caused by used batteries. I keep my new batteries in their packaging on a shelf in the fridge. The used discarded batteries I tape together and tape over the ends just in case there is anything metal in the trash bin. Hopefully this will keep me from losing my home unexpectantly.

This site has given out so many good tips in the past and I'm sure we'll continue to get them.........not all of them quilt specific but just as important...............THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I'd read a while back about a fire caused by used batteries. I keep my new batteries in their packaging on a shelf in the fridge. The used discarded batteries I tape together and tape over the ends just in case there is anything metal in the trash bin. Hopefully this will keep me from losing my home unexpectantly.

This site has given out so many good tips in the past and I'm sure we'll continue to get them.........not all of them quilt specific but just as important...............THANK YOU!!!!!
I always wrap my dead ones in duct tape so they are totally enclosed before disposing of them. New ones are not taken out of the package until needed in a drawer.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:51 PM

I have heard about the 9 volt, but I didn't know about the other sizes. Thank you for the information.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:54 PM

Never thought about this before! On a related note, NEVER put a battery into a bonfire! This past summer while everyone was gathered around the fire-pit, my grandson had a dead AA battery in his hand and asked if he could throw it into the fire....I didn't think anything of it, and said "sure". Not long after it exploded, and came flying out of the fire. Luckily no one was hurt. Obviously I had no idea that would happen!! Learning new things every day!!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:48 AM

Thank you so much for sharing this. I never gave it a thought before.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:18 AM

Our local landfill/recycle center has us cover both ends of any size battery with duck tape/masking tape but not clear tape before bringing them in for disposal. Also do not store at home in loose containers as they may make contact and cause a fire.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:42 AM

Yes, Geri B they will ignite. My grandson saw my pile of dead 9v batteries sitting on the counter waiting to go to the recycler and stuck them together matching terminals. He then proudly told me that he had recharged my batteries for me. When I questioned him, I went to the batteries and they were so hot I had to use oven mitts to pull them apart. It only took about 2-5 minutes for them to get that hot. Thank heavens grandson is 10 and wanted to brag.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Suz

Regarding the AA, AAA, C and D batteries. When my grandson was here, we were looking into a drawer with three of the four mentioned, no 9Volt. They were all just tossed into this little drawer. He told me then about these three (AA, AAA, D) igniting, so yes, I would say keep them in their original packaging even if it is open. Take out only what you need and then perhaps reseal the packaging w/tape or rubberbands.

Regarding the 9Volts that ignited in the video: Recall he said that he'd changed the batteries in his smoke detectors and discarded them. At the time change (Spring and Fall), we are to put in fresh batteries. I don't think these batteries are dead or the detector would have been beeping. We are just reminded to change at these two time changes, so that we have "alive" or "fresh" batteries in our detectors in case of an emergency.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:53 PM

Wow, tomorrow I will check the battery drawer and make sure the new ones are in original packaging...and when I dispose of dead, I will tape the terminals. Thanks for this eye opening info.......
Old 01-11-2015, 06:39 PM

Just went and organized the battery drawer to be sure this isn't an issue. Thanks for the info.