Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Discarded Batteries Believed to Have Caused House Fire

Suz

Discarded Batteries Believed to Have Caused House Fire

http://www.unwindly.com/i/528-His-Ho...hing-We-All-Do

Please check out this site and heed the warning. Seeing the destruction of a home reminded me to share this information with all of you.

Over the holidays, my grandson who is a volunteer fireman, warned me about how I was storing loose batteries. We were digging in a drawer for batteries for a new toy. It doesn't say so in the above article, but Joe also said not to mix brands of batteries. Just not healthy.

Power Poster
    The new small batteries are extremely deadly if swallowed by youngsters as well. I put old hearing aid batteries in a empty pill bottle and bring them to my hardware store for proper disposal. They are not supposed to go in the regular garbage.

DH is a volunteer firefighter as well. He will not throw used batteries in the garbage for this reason also. Can I tell you how many dead batteries I have around the house???? Basically, if they are wrapped in a non-conductive material before discarding they should be fine. Put each individual battery in a paper towel/napkin before disposal so they don't come in contact with some other conductive material.

wow did not know this. thanks for posting this.
    ​DEBRA

Staples, Office Max, Office Depot accept used batteries for proper disposal. I think most of the big box stores do also.

what about other types of batteries....AA, AAA, D, C, etc and the little flat batteries? is there the same danger of e.g. two other size batteries ends touching like that too? I just tossed some AA's today so it's back to the trash can to dig them out!

Hmm..so if I were to put two supposedly dead 9 bolt batteries together with terminals touching, they would ignite?

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    Hmm..so if I were to put two supposedly dead 9 bolt batteries together with terminals touching, they would ignite?
    That's the theory, yes. Goes for any type of batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    I think I'm still a kid. I immediately thought of trying it in my driveway! (58 and about to retire! I hope I can stay out of trouble!)

How should you store AA/AAA (new) batteries?
    Bobbie Sullivan

I'd read a while back about a fire caused by used batteries. I keep my new batteries in their packaging on a shelf in the fridge. The used discarded batteries I tape together and tape over the ends just in case there is anything metal in the trash bin. Hopefully this will keep me from losing my home unexpectantly.

This site has given out so many good tips in the past and I'm sure we'll continue to get them.........not all of them quilt specific but just as important...............THANK YOU!!!!!
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Quote Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
    I'd read a while back about a fire caused by used batteries. I keep my new batteries in their packaging on a shelf in the fridge. The used discarded batteries I tape together and tape over the ends just in case there is anything metal in the trash bin. Hopefully this will keep me from losing my home unexpectantly.

This site has given out so many good tips in the past and I'm sure we'll continue to get them.........not all of them quilt specific but just as important...............THANK YOU!!!!!
    I always wrap my dead ones in duct tape so they are totally enclosed before disposing of them. New ones are not taken out of the package until needed in a drawer.

I have heard about the 9 volt, but I didn't know about the other sizes. Thank you for the information.

Never thought about this before! On a related note, NEVER put a battery into a bonfire! This past summer while everyone was gathered around the fire-pit, my grandson had a dead AA battery in his hand and asked if he could throw it into the fire....I didn't think anything of it, and said "sure". Not long after it exploded, and came flying out of the fire. Luckily no one was hurt. Obviously I had no idea that would happen!! Learning new things every day!!

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    Thank you so much for sharing this. I never gave it a thought before.

Our local landfill/recycle center has us cover both ends of any size battery with duck tape/masking tape but not clear tape before bringing them in for disposal. Also do not store at home in loose containers as they may make contact and cause a fire.

Blog Entries
    Yes, Geri B they will ignite. My grandson saw my pile of dead 9v batteries sitting on the counter waiting to go to the recycler and stuck them together matching terminals. He then proudly told me that he had recharged my batteries for me. When I questioned him, I went to the batteries and they were so hot I had to use oven mitts to pull them apart. It only took about 2-5 minutes for them to get that hot. Thank heavens grandson is 10 and wanted to brag.

Suz
    Regarding the AA, AAA, C and D batteries. When my grandson was here, we were looking into a drawer with three of the four mentioned, no 9Volt. They were all just tossed into this little drawer. He told me then about these three (AA, AAA, D) igniting, so yes, I would say keep them in their original packaging even if it is open. Take out only what you need and then perhaps reseal the packaging w/tape or rubberbands.

Regarding the 9Volts that ignited in the video: Recall he said that he'd changed the batteries in his smoke detectors and discarded them. At the time change (Spring and Fall), we are to put in fresh batteries. I don't think these batteries are dead or the detector would have been beeping. We are just reminded to change at these two time changes, so that we have "alive" or "fresh" batteries in our detectors in case of an emergency.

Wow, tomorrow I will check the battery drawer and make sure the new ones are in original packaging...and when I dispose of dead, I will tape the terminals. Thanks for this eye opening info.......

Just went and organized the battery drawer to be sure this isn't an issue. Thanks for the info.

Power Poster
    Good information...Thanks for sharing...

wow! never knew this! I write dates on my battery pkg's, but they
    are loose in the cabinet.
    Buying electrical tape ASAP! thanks.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png