Dishwasher recommendations

Old 11-02-2017, 04:10 AM

We had a kitchen aide many years ago and it did not do well with our well water. Then we got an LG and the dishes came out beautifully clean!!! Last year we redid our kitchen and because we needed a counter depth refrigerator and a downdraft stove we went to the kitchen aide. The dishwasher makes the dishes sparkle. The downdraft is sad because ....aqua clean is a horrible joke�� The fridge is way smaller then the Electrolux we used to have. BUT! Everything matches and fits in and I am happier!! Always a silver lining!!!
Old 11-02-2017, 04:11 AM

I bought replaced my very old dishwasher with a Whirlpool dishwasher about 9 years ago. I bought what I could afford that had the features that I wanted. I live alone so the dishwasher gets run about every 4-5 days. I do not rinse unless there are large pieces of food, so dishes sit with dried oatmeal and other assorted food residue on them. I use Walmart brand of dishwasher powder and the high temperature wash every time (I do not dry) and my dishes come out clean every time.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:04 AM

I'm partial to Whirlpool. I've had several and they do a good job and seem to hold a lot. The house we're in now had a Frigidaire and I hate it. It has a spout in the center of the top rack and limits what you can put in the rack. It does clean good but the center spout is a PITA. I usually start it at bedtime but a nice feature on any dishwasher is the delay start.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:58 AM

Bosch is amazing! I also like the little top rack for silverware.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:05 AM

Maytag is now Whirlpool but still use the name Maytag. I bought new Maytag dishwasher and electric stove to replace my old Maytags about three years ago. Whirlpool had cheapened the racks and functions on both so much. I was disappointed. I replaced because I wanted the stainless and gave my white stove to my daughter. Would I go back to Maytag(Whirlpool) again, I'm not sure, but I did love the old ones.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:06 AM

Was in BestBuy and really liked the Bosch and the KitchenAid, but in conversation with the rep, learned that Bosch does not have the internal heater for drying, and KitchenAid does. He said after Bosch cycle done, you will need to wipe of a few water drips from the dishes, but the KitchenAid not.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:15 AM

I have a GE that is 15 years old, and still gets the dishes clean as long as they are scraped off. I buy the inexpensive detergent from big box store, and only have to rewash the occasional dish DH forgets to scrape. Mine has options for different loads types, and drying options as well, it will even skip the dry cycle if I want to save electricity.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:28 AM

I see so many on here have recommended Bosch. I have had 2 TWO! Bosch dishwashers from Loew's and each died after about 3-4 years...now, these dishwashers are a bit too expensive to have to keep replacing them!! We bought a Maytag, on the recommendation of the Lowe's salesman and it's been a dream come true...and I will also say that we bought a maintenance contract with this one. I will never buy a Bosch again, though I dearly loved the features and small bits of engineering that made it a pleasure to use. But I like a dw to actually work when I buy it! silly me.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 AM

Between myself and 2 adult daughters we have owned them all.....But the top of the line Bosch is unbelievable by comparison to all the brands we have owned. So quiet, I don't know it is on. So clean, and I don't prewash/prerinse. I do scrape food chunks off for my chickens, but my hubby just drops his dish on counter and it might harden before I move it to the dishwasher for scrubbing. It has a great 3rd top tray for spatulas, and small what nots that I now can't live without. The cycle is 2 hours and 18 minutes....but it is so quiet, I don't care. I have had mine for over 10 years, and I will replace it with another Bosch the moment it decides to quit working. ( I have not had to replace a wheel or bracket or anything on this workhorse.)
Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 AM

I have a very old store brand dishwasher (from a store that went out of business 20 years ago), that I bought second hand about 16 years ago and it works just fine. Yes it is noisy, but the cycle is short and the dishes are clean.

Oscar and Penny., the dogs, do a pretty good job of prewashing the dishes. I do not use the heat setting, when the wash stops I open the door, pull the racks and give them a shake. Only the odd plastic items does not dry completely, but it is dry by the time my son unloads.

I do not understand the need for a stainless steel interior. Mine is blue plastic, it is clean, there are no stains.

Every so often I think it would be nice to have a quieter machine, but not enough for me to put up cash.

Oh and my appliances do not match.