dislocated tailbones?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:31 PM

I've done that twist thing and ended up with my tailbone messed up. Done it twice this year. In January, I was able to get in to my Osteopath for her to adjust it. Then it was fine. Last month or so, I did it again. Mine starts out with leg or knee pain, then about 3 days later I'm in sever pain and can barely breathe. My osteopath was away that week so I went to my general doctor and he injected it with cortisone (?) and it wasn't a lot better till the next day. But the pain started creeping back, so I got in with the osteo again and it's been fine ever since. I feel the best solution for that is a manipulation.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by GypsyRse1
My tailbone was dislocated when I had my son over 40 years ago. The pain was severe and I finally went to the chiropractor, he gloved up, went through my rectum and put it back in place. Bless him..
I'll tell my daughter about that. Maybe she'll find a chiro who'll do that too, if needed. Thanks.

She says she's feeling better today but maybe it's the pain pill talking. I forgot to ask if she'd taken any. But she's still going to need help picking up the 18mos old so I'm going down for the holiday weekend. Hopefully she'll be more herself by Tues, although I know she'll still need help with the toddler. Too bad I'm not retired yet. I'd just pack up and move closer to her.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 PM

When I was a teenager, I injured my tailbone in gymnastics. Not until many years later when I went to my
GYN, did I find out that I had broken my tailbone. He was concerned that it would interfer with the baby coming down the birth canal, since the tailbone was bent inward.
I went into labor and barely made it to the hospital (only 30 minutes of pain with the birth, However my daughter broke my tailbone back, so I had pains from the birth in addition to a broken tailbone....what a time I had...Unfortunately, you can't set a tailbone and it went back to the inward position....so I still have pain with it. I sit on cushions when we are picnics, ball games etc. My sympathy to your daughter. I hope she fairs well through all of the pain. It will take a while. Does she had a doughnut pillow to sit on and take with her when she travels in the car or has to sit a church?
Best wishes to her.
Diana
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM

My sister BRUISED her tailbone and it was quite painful, but I never heard of it being dislocated!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:19 PM

TailboneS? We have more than one? I have never heard of dislocating your tailbone(s). Hope it heals quickly.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:19 PM

I fell and fractured mine a couple of times. Not funny!! You can't sit down and it hurts to do anything... Good luck in healing because mine still hurts occasionally.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:35 PM

So sorry to hear that. Yup, it can happen. I broke my tailbone years ago, and there isn't much they can do besides PT and meds. I'm sorry to say it took a long time for the pain to abate.

Please remind your daughter it is OK not to be Superwoman at a time like this, and it is OK to ask others for help. In fact, if she doesn't ask for help, she is depriving other women of what we do best - become a community of supporters and helpers in time of need.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
TailboneS? We have more than one? I have never heard of dislocating your tailbone(s). Hope it heals quickly.
lol...as far as I know my daughter only has one tailbone....my fingers must have hit the "s" without my noticing...
Old 09-01-2011, 05:01 AM

You're both right. One tailbone has five vertebrae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccyx