dividing irises

Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM

Yes, irises are very hardy and can be transplanted just about any time they'll get water. Be careful storing them, though. I dug up a bunch that were taking over an area... put 'em in an old plastic laundry tote for ventilation and left 'em in the garage... when I went to put them in the ground last spring, they were covered with aphids. You're welcome, aphids... sigh.... when ready to move them, put them somewhere else in the ground and/or give some away. I learned my lesson. I had stored others in another location and they were clean. no blooms this year, but they're getting stronger for next year.

good luck!
Old 07-27-2013, 06:29 PM

My mother, when she transplants hers, dips them in a solution of 10 cups of water to 1 cup of bleach and then dries them thoroughly in air before planting them again. The bleach/water mixture kills any spores or bugs that are on the rhizome/bulb of the iris. I am transplanting mine in the fall, hoping for cooler weather, when hubby will have time to help me till up a big space where they can take over the entire area.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:32 AM

Irises are easy to divide and transplant. Just check the corm and break it off where there are a couple attached. Then plant them shallowly. Irises do not like a deep planting. (They won't bloom - same goes for Peonieis). Also, for what it is worth, Minnesota chooses September for transplanting. Edie
Old 07-28-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
They aren't hard to do, but not sure this is the time of year. You dig the up with a fork shovel and either replant, or store till winter. A good time to do this is when you see the bulbs in the stores. Google "how to dig irises and storing"
I know they will be beautiful...
I have heard that you may store them in a brown paper bag (keep them dry) until fall (cooler weather) and then plant. They normally do not bloom the 1st year. Good luck. I love Irises (the poor man's orchids).
Old 07-28-2013, 09:21 AM

The main thing is to not bury them too deeply when you replant. In fact you can just toss the where you want them to be and throw a little dirt over them and you're good.

One year I had dug up a big bunch of them and tossed them in a pile to deal with later. Life interrupted and lo and behold the next spring here were all these irises blooming right there where I'd tossed them.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
The main thing is to not bury them too deeply when you replant. In fact you can just toss the where you want them to be and throw a little dirt over them and you're good.

One year I had dug up a big bunch of them and tossed them in a pile to deal with later. Life interrupted and lo and behold the next spring here were all these irises blooming right there where I'd tossed them.
Same thing happened with a neighbor and his irises. Wife wasn't happy with the placement of the newly replanted irises but 3 years later they're still there.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM

Chris... what a great idea! I should have thought of that! I definitely will next time I need to divide...I'm in a "rebuilding" period right now, but will remember!

My mom called them "flags"... she was from the South...
Old 07-28-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by running1 View Post
Chris... what a great idea! I should have thought of that! I definitely will next time I need to divide...I'm in a "rebuilding" period right now, but will remember!

My mom called them "flags"... she was from the South...
2 years ago, DH & I put in 2 new bigger beds. This year, I will have to divide and replant and DH doesn't want any more in the front yard which is almost understandable. I am dividing mine and putting some in the "back 40" where taking over is permissible and would make DH happy as it would be less to mow. I may out some in the front by the rose bushes when I divide but that is up in the air.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:58 PM

The lady I bought my irises from said they are to be dug in July. This gives them a chance to grow new roots before the cold of winter comes. It has worked well for me and my iris have bloomed the next year usually. I'm in western Kentucky.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:32 PM

August is the time to divide irises in Georgia! Clip off the old leaves in a fan shape leaving about 6" from the bottom. Even if you have some you don't need to divide, cut the old leaves off.