Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well? >

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Do any of you have a pit bull or know one well?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 AM

The following is a true, first hand experience and is now on going so I am not passing on a heard story.

My brother and sister in law bought 2 stafordshire terriers (pitt bulls) 15 years ago. ! was killed within the first 2 years they had her when she left the yard and was hit by a car. The other (lucy) was a house pet, loving, gentle but protective of my sister in law and their home. Lucy was a large strong dog but would climb up in your lap and lay until you petted her and would go to sleep unless you made her get down. I never had a moment of fear around her and loved to play with her but my niece (their daughter) would not allow her son to visit their home with the dog inside. My brother was always conscious of her reputation and kept her indoors or in a fenced in yard and she was not allowed to roam free.

Last month my brother was working in their yard moving from the front yard to the fenced back yard. The gate was open and Lucy was in the house. My sister in law came home and automatically let Lucy out without checking the gate. Lucy immediately ran to the front yard. My brother heard a horrific scream and found Lucy attacking a lady who was walking in the street in front of their home.

They've had visits from every conceivable monitoring group from law enforcement to home services. They have been to court and been fined for having a vicious dog (fined $3000.00 and ordered to pay all doctors bills which are now about $10,000) and have been sued. Their home owners insurance is waiving about paying due to the event taking place in the road and not in their yard. My brother and sister in law face losing their home.

Lucy was not ordered to be put down, but my brother has re homed her and she is now relegated to a cage. My brother is absolutely heart broken and we all now have a new apprehension of this breed.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:59 AM

dO YOU REALIZE THE DOG THAT PLAYED IN THE ORIGINAL lIL' rASCALS, was a pit bull. I would educate your self on the internet about the breed. It soulnds like the dog will make a good pet for the kids.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I believe this can happen with any breed. My Parents had a retriever, (he was raised with us kids), and was a wonderful loving dog. When he got older, hegot agreesive about his territory and attacked someone when they didnt knock on my Parents door. Caused alot of damage to the kids arm, it was awful, and they could never trust him again. I was attacked as a kid, by a toy poodle, and have somescars on my face, but I still love poodles and retrivers....I feel you should "punish the deed, NOT the breed". My Noel is a Olde English Bulldogge, I understand they have pitbull in them. She is so sweet, but her jaws are strong, and huge!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Helen Keller also had a pitbull....they have been around forever!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:09 AM

Yes, I would definitely worry! I have never personally owned a pitbull, and I never will. A couple of years ago not far from where I live an 11-year-old boy was killed by his family's pitbull. The boy and his brother were horsing around, chasing each other through the house, and yelling....just having fun. The 11-yr-old sort of fell onto the couch as they tussled a bit and the dog leaped on him there. The dog couldn't be pulled off and mauled the boy so terribly that he died. This was a dog which supposedly was the sweetest dog in the world, having grown up with this family and never caused a bit of trouble. Now their child is dead!

I know it's probably wrong of me to condemn an entire breed, but that's how I feel about pitbulls. I've had many large dogs throughout my life and have never feared any of them, but would not ever trust a pitbull.

As far as your grandchildren, yes I would worry. That dog was used to living with adults, and to now put him in a home with children who run and scream and play would not be very wise in my opinion. And, yes, it's just my opinion, but you asked.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM

That may be but when a pitbull bites it seemes that some one winds up in the hopsital or dead. They are unpredictable.

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Pitbulls have gotten a somewhat deserved bad reputation. But 99% of that was caused by the owners they ended up with.

I wil not go into the pros andcons of a Pitbull but - -

Did you know that the numbr one biter of children under the age of 10 is a cocker spaniel? Just an interesting bit of dog trivia.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:22 AM

I agree with pitbulls getting a bad rap. They are exploited because of their build. I also agree that small dogs and small children do not mix normally. I went home on leave last week and a 5 yr old little girl was walking her dog and eveytime it barked she wacked it pretty hard on the back. She got a little "lesson" from Mrs. Erika from across the street on mistreating animals.....Parents!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:47 AM

Any breed of dog can bite without warning....Pits have gotten too much bad press. All dogs need training but too many people don't bother as it takes time. We've had two people killed in the past two years by horses....does that mean all horses should be banned?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
crt

I would never have a Pit around kids. I rescued one that was about 6 weeks old and had been dumped. She was raised around my other dogs and was "a very sweet dog." One day while we were at work, she attacked and killed one of the other dogs. The neighbor saw the whole thing and said there was nothing that provoked her. She just snapped. So, no...I don't trust them at all.

Edited to add....yes, I trained this dog just the same as I have trained my others. I may get blasted, but I just know I'll never have another pit or pit mix again, based on my own experience.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 AM

I would be very careful until I saw for sure how the dog behaves in various situations. Sometimes even the gentlest seeming dogs will turn vicious if given the right trigger.