Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do Not Call - number to call to block calls >

Do Not Call - number to call to block calls

Do Not Call - number to call to block calls

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
what is the online url. id rather do it on line also
I think it is www.donotcall.gov
Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 AM

I've signed up many times but these *PEOPLE* call anyway. It hasn't helped me at all.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM

It was almost time for me to renew my registration, so I just googled PA Do Not Call List and National Do Not Call List, then clicked on the proper website. There are online applications, and phone numbers to call for registration. They will tell how to confirm that your information has been received and registered, when it will become effective, and what to do if you feel you are getting unwanted calls after the effective date. As posted by someone else, certain organizations are exempt. Hope you can find this useful.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I keep getting calls about my credit card balance. I do not have a balance, so it is nuisance call. I used the # on the Caller ID and got a link to a "friendly representative!"

I said to the young man "Are you a friendly representative?" to which he replied "I AM!" so I went on to say that I had something I wanted to say about their service. HE HUNG UP ON ME!

Telemarketers have jobs that they get paid for but I wonder how many of them like their jobs. I have even told them that I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and it makes no difference. They just keep on calling.

The only way to deal with these people is to hang up on them. I have told charities that I am on the list, and they do not care. I have determined that if they are going to ring my phone and pester me, I will no longer donate to these organizations, no matter how worthy they are. If they cannot honor my request, I will not honor them with my $$$'s
And addressing, stamping and mailing envelopes is not one job I want to do. I quit sending greeting cards for the same reason I would not mail out their mail for them.

Do others have similar situation? How do you handle them if they violate the DO NOT CALL LIST????
WHERE can you report them??? I understood they were to be fined for using these numbers.

June in Cincinnati
Old 08-31-2011, 01:27 PM

Thank-you.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by june6995
I keep getting calls about my credit card balance. I do not have a balance, so it is nuisance call. I used the # on the Caller ID and got a link to a "friendly representative!"

I said to the young man "Are you a friendly representative?" to which he replied "I AM!" so I went on to say that I had something I wanted to say about their service. HE HUNG UP ON ME!

Telemarketers have jobs that they get paid for but I wonder how many of them like their jobs. I have even told them that I am on the DO NOT CALL LIST and it makes no difference. They just keep on calling.

The only way to deal with these people is to hang up on them. I have told charities that I am on the list, and they do not care. I have determined that if they are going to ring my phone and pester me, I will no longer donate to these organizations, no matter how worthy they are. If they cannot honor my request, I will not honor them with my $$$'s
And addressing, stamping and mailing envelopes is not one job I want to do. I quit sending greeting cards for the same reason I would not mail out their mail for them.

Do others have similar situation? How do you handle them if they violate the DO NOT CALL LIST????
WHERE can you report them??? I understood they were to be fined for using these numbers.

June in Cincinnati
When I called the number it said that to give it 31 days to take effect and then for violators, call that same number to report them. I've never tried it - has anyone else?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Stitchnripper,

As I previously posted, if you go to your state online do not call list and the national online do not call list, your will find out which organizations are exempt and how to report those calls you get from organizations that are not exempt. You can also register your phone number.

I can tell you that political solicitors, charities, companies where you have open accounts and companies where you EVER had an account (even if that acct. is now closed) are all exempt.

You can get all kinds of info from these websites and you should check them out.

Personally, I am not interested in getting calls from charities, politicians, previous creditors, etc., so I have learned not to answer the phone and let my machine answer for me. Any legitimate caller will leave a message and I can pick up the phone before they complete their message. This includes family and friends, my dr., drug store, bank, etc. Also, caller ID is a big help.

I don't find the situation hard to handle at all.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
Stitchnripper,

As I previously posted, if you go to your state online do not call list and the national online do not call list, your will find out which organizations are exempt and how to report those calls you get from organizations that are not exempt. You can also register your phone number.

I can tell you that political solicitors, charities, companies where you have open accounts and companies where you EVER had an account (even if that acct. is now closed) are all exempt.

You can get all kinds of info from these websites and you should check them out.

Personally, I am not interested in getting calls from charities, politicians, previous creditors, etc., so I have learned not to answer the phone and let my machine answer for me. Any legitimate caller will leave a message and I can pick up the phone before they complete their message. This includes family and friends, my dr., drug store, bank, etc. Also, caller ID is a big help.

I don't find the situation hard to handle at all.
Oh dear, I'm sorry if I sounded like I found the situation hard to handle. I handle it pretty well. Don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the caller, and have registered the phones. I thought I was offering the number to those that didn't have it. I apologize if the thread was out of line or caused more problems.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Hi Stitchinripper,

No, you did not cause any problems and your post was not out of line.

I'm the one who owes YOU an apology. I mistakenly addressed my post to you when I meant to answer June6995's post. I was just trying to give her some info so she could find out just how the Do Not Call list works. I hope she and anyone else who may be interested found my post helpful.

Again, my apologies. It sounds like you are handling unwanted calls just fine.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Banned

Politicians exempted themselves and charities from the law.