Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies? >

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Do quilters also preserve fruit and veggies?

Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Those all look and sound so good. I have a brown thumb. Everything I plant dies so no canning for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:58 AM

Your canning is beautifully done! My mother would have been proud of you. She was an expert canner but I don't garden or can. I love to see them though. Mom used to can beets then make jelly from the beet juice that had cooked off. It was such a pretty clear pink. Tasted good too.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:59 AM

Still can and freeze. DS #2 stopped a week ago and asked me to come to his house he wanted some advice. Well his advice was "how do I make jelly"? So we juiced some pears and proceeded to make jelly. He did have all the supplies and had it all laid out, just wasn't sure how to go about it. By the way it is delicious. He does jerky in his dehydrator too.
I also dehydrate a lot of things. Fruit, corn, tomatoes (which when dry I pulverize into a powder, a tablespoon or two in soup is just like putting in several large tomatoes.
A soup mix which is dried corn, onion, cabbage, carrots, celery and anything else that's ready to harvest right then. Wonderful in the winter to just toss a few handfuls of mix, dehydrated tomato powder and some leftover meat in a pot, then I'm good to sew all day.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:24 AM

I don't get to quilt much during the time the garden is producing as my husband has a big garden. This year it is different, as the dry weather was so bad. The tomatoes had the blight and he watered the rest of it, but that didn't help. I also can for some people, and still have orders for 80 quarts of green beans. I have been going to the farmer's market to get tomatoes and green beans to can. I will make more trips until I get my orders filled. We're supposed to get rain today, but we've had a lot of promises before. We'll see. Now it's off to church this morning.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Whoa! Thats alotta work! Your jars look so pretty. I only do tomato juice, pickles and then freeze corn. I keep making the garden smaller since I really don't like to do all that work anymore. It sure tastes good though :D
Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 AM

I DO TOO! I have done up 7 quarts of plum tomato sauce, dozens of jars of pears, peaches etc etc. etc.!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
Still can and freeze. DS #2 stopped a week ago and asked me to come to his house he wanted some advice. Well his advice was "how do I make jelly"? So we juiced some pears and proceeded to make jelly. He did have all the supplies and had it all laid out, just wasn't sure how to go about it. By the way it is delicious. He does jerky in his dehydrator too.
I also dehydrate a lot of things. Fruit, corn, tomatoes (which when dry I pulverize into a powder, a tablespoon or two in soup is just like putting in several large tomatoes.
A soup mix which is dried corn, onion, cabbage, carrots, celery and anything else that's ready to harvest right then. Wonderful in the winter to just toss a few handfuls of mix, dehydrated tomato powder and some leftover meat in a pot, then I'm good to sew all day.
I've dried some bell peppers, which I use in lots of things. But I'd never thought of making a soup mix. Guess what I'm starting on now. . .
Old 09-26-2010, 07:42 AM

Yes I can out of my garden ,I did give all my pears away this year as I had plenty already. My freezer is full too. Now I can get back to my quilting. lol
Old 09-26-2010, 07:44 AM

I have always done as much canning and freezing as I was able-this year we had so much flooding in the area that the garden just didn't produce like it normally does so the tomatoes were almost non-existent, the potatoes and yams did really well and I am still picking a bumper crop of red raspberries and peppers. Yesterday I decided that I am truly tired of broccoli!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I always can.I love the feeling of opening the pantry and seeing all the pretty jars of color and seeing all the work done.Especially in the winter when I can't get out and I need something.My garden this year was terrible. We usally have beautiful big tomatoes and peppers and zuchini,when the heat hit and all the rains it killed everything. I did get some sweet pepper relish made and salsa,blueberry jam and this week made applebutter.Wish I had your dill pickle recipe. looks great. Mary