Do you cook or zap?

Old 04-15-2010, 01:21 PM

I do both, and take out, too. I usually cook 4 nights a week and take out three. I zap most all veggies and potatoes. When I'm home alone, my dinner is more often than not a bowl of cereal. On my job I am taken out to lunch far too often, so small dinners is the only way I can maintain any form of a waistline.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by fun2quilt
We have been empty nesters for a couple of years now, and I still cook dinner every night. Took a long time to down size on the amount to fix, but I have finally figured it out. If there are leftovers, they work great for DH's lunches. Just don't like cooking for one. Now, what to cook tonite?????
Same here,Hubby is needs to eat real food!!!
Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM

My DH is gone many evenings a week so I find it just as easy to eat a bowl of cereal or get some take out. When he is home and the girls are home from college I do more 'real' cooking. However, I love to use my mw whenever possible. I took a mw cooking class once and learned many tips. I think I could actually get by with just my mw, my elect. skillet and my grill.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:01 PM

I cook almost all the time. Everything is from scratch. But it takes a lot of time (that's why I don't get much quilting done). The only time I nuke is for a cup of tea or warm something quick up.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Pam B
My DH is gone many evenings a week so I find it just as easy to eat a bowl of cereal or get some take out. When he is home and the girls are home from college I do more 'real' cooking. However, I love to use my mw whenever possible. I took a mw cooking class once and learned many tips. I think I could actually get by with just my mw, my elect. skillet and my grill.
I've seen a couple replies mentioning cereal.
I sometimes acquire a cereal habit where I eat it once or twice daily, day after day.
Usually I eat "good for me" adult-type cereal but now and then for a treat I'll let a "Sugar Pops" or "Sugar Smacks" or "Rice Krispies" sneak in.....lol.
They still taste as good as when I was a kid eating them dry out of the box.
But that usually signals the end of my "cereal attack" then it's back to meat and potatos...lol
I feel one of them coming on soon!
When I'm in the mood for it, cereal is great!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM

I am a scratch cook....my Memere owned her own restaurant, so all her girls new how to cook and passed it on to their children. I have even been able to get my daughter-in-laws to do more home cooking.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:32 PM

I cook when I can. Other times I'm too busy to cook at home and I have to cook here at my daughters for the kids I babysit. My hubby and son (18) fend for themselves when I babysit, but both can cook. Of course they leave the mess for me!
~Bj~
Old 04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rivka
I'm trying to learn how to cook. I watched a film recently called Food, Inc. that turned me off of processed food almost completely.
I quit buying any processed foods that include meat. Processed meats are horrible for you. If it has hydrogenated oils, palm oil, or cotton seed oil I don't buy it. It's just as easy to toss a white or sweet potato in the microwave as a tv dinner.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:51 PM

I became a widow almost three years ago, and my adult kids all live in their own places. Somewhere along the line I have totally lost all my cooking skills. Mind you, I was never a GOOD cook, but it usually was edible. Now, nothing I try to make turns out. So, I nuke frozen food or pick something up on the way home.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I usually cook from scratch. When I lived alone I made a full meal and would freeze the leftovers in personal portions. Then if I didn't feel like cooking I could have a home cooked TV dinner.