Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Do Your Christmas Shopping At The Store or Online? >

Do You Do Your Christmas Shopping At The Store or Online?

Do You Do Your Christmas Shopping At The Store or Online?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM

I still read the paper cataloges that come in the US Mail and order that way. If not , I make home made food items for family. This year we are cutting down to only the 9 GC and not our grown children. Since we each have a new car or truck we are not giving each other a gift either.Hugs
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM

I just send checks to my 2 DSs - one for each family. We're in Texas & they're in Wisconsin. Shipping charges are minimal ($0.44) as I bought several rolls of stamps when they were that price & dh does on-line banking, so they will last us "forever"!!!
Old 12-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

I go to Walmart and get gift cards. I get the ones from VISA or American Express. That way they can go anywhere these gift cards are accepted. The kids love them and when they all live more than 1500 miles away beats the cost of shipping. I buy Christmas cards to put them in. If they don't like what they get, it's not my fault and I don't have to worry about returns. I think if I even lived closer to them, I would still do the same. Hate to return anything. I don't have and really never did have the patience for long lines.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Both, it just depends on what I am looking for and the best deals.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I only have been in a store once and that was JAF on Sunday. 60% coupons can really motivate me. But with all this free shipping, who can resist not going out and dealing with the crowds.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM

Mostly on-line, but I don't have a lot to buy for.

Brother will flat out refuse any present still, because I took him in at 18 and got him through school. He still can't help thinking that I gave up what was then my dream job to manage the bills. I still like teaching music, and I pick up classes as needed - but I really, really, really LOVE my desk job. It totally pays the bills, I don't have to teach what I don't like, I still get time to do session music and pick up short tours as I want. This is so much better than what I thought I wanted at 19.

So I get the big brat a donation in his name to his favorite organization. Hehehehe, he can't refuse that

SIL - ordered her a cooking set from Amazon that she's been drooling over for months and won't spend the money for. It's exactly what she wants, yes, she likes kitchen gear for any present always.

They are getting a quilt that I'm almost done with. I'm down to just finishing the binding. Also, a set up with a local place to do 3 months of meals, since their daughter is due 12/22.

Nephew is getting a tablet, since the little guy is always playing with mine. He's also getting a log cabin quilt, it's the one I was working on for a fund raiser that he loved and wanted to learn how to sew from. So I hid it, and made another one for the fund raiser instead.

My niece may be here, may not. I've got a bouncy seat thing, a boppy pillow and covers, a crib quilt and a very pink stuffed lion. She's also getting a purple stuffed dino, but that's from her brother Also the year of diaper service, since hey, I don't have my own, I get to spoil the kids rotten. It's my job, honest
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
ro
Banned

i do my shopping on line. husband and i dont exchange presents. if there is something we want we dont wait for christmas to buy it. my birthday is nov., xmas dec., anniversary jan, husbands birthday feb. we'd be in the store for 4 months. as for our children and their spouses, i put money in a silly little pin ball game that they have to open in order to get the money out of. its the same game every year and my son in law cannot for the life of him get the thing to open. its fun just to watch that. i dont believe in spending money or time on p.j.'s shirts, socks underwear just to have something there. i'd rather give the money or gift card. so no, i do not go to the store.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:42 PM
ro
Banned

quilted cello as long as you get enjoyment out of what you do, thats good. sounds like you did what you had to. and its nice your brother never forgot. hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:31 PM

This year did most of mine on line. Sue was nice for it to come right to the door. Having a bad hip just about wears me out walking. Hopefully in a couple of months will be outwalking my kids.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

I shop both ways....