Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products? >

Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products?

Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products?

Old 09-06-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Many people consider Snopes to be the ultimate authority on just about everything, but not everything you read on Snopes is true. Please don't bet your life, on Snopes.
I can tell you first hand that it is very true. For yrs I had to get rushed to the hospital and dozed up with pain meds because it was so bad you couldn't even touch me and then it'd take me weeks to be able to go back towork full time. I also had problems walking too. In 2008 was the last time that has ever happened to me; right after my DDIL sent me an email on aspartame poisoning. I bought the book called Sweet Poison and I was convinced;not at all easy to do for me. It is also know to cause siezures and I have an unknown marker now for them, there is no known reason that caused it. I still have arthritis but I don't have to deal with the type of pain caused by diet sodas. This was created by a scientist who was testing a med for ulcers and the liquid spilled over and it was sweet and so aspartame was born. It does have formalgahyde in it. Now if I want a soda I'll do it in moderation and go for the real thing, I'm not taking any chances. Most people think they dont' take any, check most of your cough drops, fiber meds, Alka Seltzer (flavored) and lots more have it. I even read on the lable of flavored chapstick and it had it there too. These things don't even say they are low in sugar. Read the book and get the facts. The country where it was discovered, doesn't even use it in their drinks, they use Stevia. This isn't a myth and can cause you lots of pain and other things.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:45 PM

Sounds like you and your family are sensitive to artificial sweeteners. As I said in another comment, my sister and dgd are allergic to them, too.

I know that mixing diet soda in my tummy with one of my newest meds makes me light-headed and sick to my stomach. (I don't use soda to take any of my meds, by the way.)
Old 09-06-2013, 04:51 PM

I don't drinks soft drinks AT ALL.
Never have like them, tooooo sweet.

Since diagnosed with Diabetes in 2010,
I have dropped even the sugar in my tea,
and that is hard for a Southerner when
super sweet tooo is everywhere.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Honey or a little sugar for me. Hate the taste of stevia, tastes like aspartame to me. Aspartame gives me cramps so bad and then the effects of irritable bowels is just not worth it. Put the headaches that it caused on top of the intestinal issues it gives me and I am not a happy camper. I went to a restaurant once and asked the manager if a particular desert had aspartame it it and he asked " why, it isn't any different than sugar" informed him that many people can have sensitivities to certain chemicals as some who have food allergies. He was not concerned, we no longer eat at that establishment.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 PM

Thank you for sharing this informative article.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 PM

Location: Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats

I'm diabetic and have to count carbs. I allow myself a diet soda a day. With all the health problems I have, I'm not worried about a diet soda. I don't eat anything else that has sugar subs in it. Ill die of something but I don't think it will be from artificial sweeteners!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM

I don't use any artificial sweeteners in anything (except some medications-you can't avoid it then). I've read similar stories where someone was ill or had chronic problems and it cleared up when they quit using splenda or aspartame. These were on message boards where someone was having symptoms but couldn't figure out what. Months later people would ask how they were, and nothing changed. Then after a while they posted saying that they gave up artificial sweeteners for whatever reason (not related to their illness) and their symptoms were gone. Good enough for me. Splenda (sucralose) gives me stomachaches and aspartame gives me headaches. i figure that's my body telling me not to use it.

Last edited by gale; 09-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 AM

Twenty years ago, my oldest daughter (then 24) had a seizure at work. I called my nutritionist whose first question was, "does she drink diet sodas?". She informed me that artificial sweeteners can cause seizures in some people.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:59 AM

I don't drink diet anything, black coffee is bad enough.Cook and eat healthy.I feel bad for the younger genaration and what they have to look forward too....Nothing but junk on the supermarket shelves........Fast foods.....
Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

All interesting comments. Some people have sensitivities and allergies to many different kinds of food and additives. Doesn't necessarily make them poison for everyone. For example, Mr. Stitchnripper has food sensitivities, not allergies, and it took a long time with doctor's help to figure out why he got so many migraines. He cannot have cow dairy, soy, or whole grains (the healthy kind). Luckily we know how to eat well and try for natural as much as possible. But, I do drink some Diet Coke and have for years and years with no obvious issues.