Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products? >

Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products?

Do you drink diet sodas or use sugar-free products?

Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 AM

you need to read on the side of the can , on diet drinks there is nothing natural in them. Not good to put these in your body. i use to drink diet coke when in work 11-7 , nursing to keep awake and work get mirgarines from them. Drink water or sugar free drinks.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:33 AM

I found out many years ago that I am allergic to artiicial sweetners. It makes me itch all over as well as really bad headaches. I have to be careful to read food labels to see if Aspertame has been added. Early in the summer, I accidentally purchased a container of Folgers instant mocha coffee. I did not realize until half way though the container that the "no sugar" label was on the container. The other weird thing was that the powder mixture did not dissolve easily when mixed with the boiling water. The daily headaches stopped when I stopped using this container of coffee.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
My family does not eat or drink anything with diet types of sugar substitutes. I am a registered dietitian by trade and everything I learned about it has not been good. We also avoid fat substitutes, MSG, sulfites, corn syrup and fructose. The only sugar substitute I would use would be stevia (herb). We drink water and make our own ice tea.
Same here. I'm not big on artificial sweeteners (both for taste and safety), but we do on occasion use Stevia and feel pretty good about it.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:45 AM

Very true. Back in the days before I retired the husband of one of my customers worked on the R&D.. He told her that it was rushed thru approval by the FDA. He wanted none of it in the house and in NO circumstances was it allowed for the kids to have any. And that was over 15 years ago. Have seen many supporting documents since then. Unfortunately with the amount of obesity it is now considered the lesser of the two evils.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Soda Addiction is so freaking weird. When some one says ''I only drink 5 or 6 soda's a day - this is not single 12 oz cans this is 2 liter bottles or 12pks or cases. I have seen alcoholics go through DT's - but it is not as bad as what soda drinkers go through. My nephew is 6'4'' weighed 375 he drank 10-64 oz Mt Dew's a day-before during and after school. 2 weeks after summer break started he hit the ground having seizures.He spent 4days in the hospital drying out.with medical assistance.By mid-summer he weighed 210-by the first day of school he was down to 185. He ate the same things and the same amts. as before but drank water. All that lost weight was Mt Dew.. And now he only has 1 functioning kidney and the other is in distress. A transplant is in his near future. They no longer advertise Cigs or beer/alcohol. They need to do the same with soda. That new Mt Dew commercial makes it sound like you ain't cool if you don't "dew" Shame on these companies for not being more responsible.........
Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I found this article fascinating... I have no idea how true it is, but it is food for thought [no pun intended]
http://rhondagessner.wordpress.com/2...n-a-must-read/
Read to the end of the article. It is part of an advertisement for alkaline water. I read this type article with major skepticism.

I personally gave up drinking Diet Coke many years because of the muscle pain I was experiencing. The muscle pain was relieved. I have been on a whole foods plant based diet (no meat, fish, or dairy) with no added oils (not even olive oil) for three years. I am at my ideal weight for the first time in my life. Cholesterol is normal without medication.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Oh my, this is very interesting!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Seems like the people who discount Snopes are also the people who don't read it...Snopes cites the sources for the information they provide, unlike most of these websites that come out with this stuff. I can usually tell the information is false by the excessive use of exclamation points and emotional language meant to get people upset and concerned.

By all means, skip the artificial sweeteners if they bother you either physically or philosophically – that only makes sense!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 AM

OMG...I totally agree. I too was diagnosed with MS. I had lesions in my brain, was having absence seizures, pain, a small stroke, abdominal pain that put me in the hospital for days, then they disappeared and the dr's thought I was "cured" even though they didn't do anything but tests, finding nothing. I had to have brain scans, bloodwork, etc. When I went to research MS in my panicked state, I found a reference that said to cross reference aspartame poisoning. So I did...only to find I had about 12 of the symptoms that were listed. I stopped drinking diet soda and comsuming aspartame that day and have since been truly "cured" of all those issues. I tell people who have health issues and consume diet soda to stop, especially if they drink several a day. Once aspartame gets into your body it warms to 98 degrees and changes it's composition. I won't be drinking/eating it again.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:23 AM

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp Read more about this myth here.