Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you have birds as pets?? >

Do you have birds as pets??

Do you have birds as pets??

Old 04-07-2010, 08:00 PM

My daughter has an African Gray. He is a real trip. You never know what he's going to say next. He tells off on my grandson too. It's funny.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:21 PM

I have a maroon bellied conure named Buddy. He says good morning, hello pretty baby, what a pretty boy, or baby, 'is that good?' when he eats yoghurt or bananas, kitty kitty, what's that?, mommeeeee at the top of his little lungs sometimes. He is so much fun, plays peek a boo,catch. He learned how to open every cupboard in my kitchen so we had to make bird proof locks with wire to keep him out. We got a new stove not long ago and he loves to crawl under the drawer and gets up inside and can't get out. So when we can't find him, we just say ....where are you? and he starts squawking in this little tiny voice. He is the first bird I have had and he was worth every penny of the $600.00 I paid for him. Sure never thought I would pay that for a silly bird. I always thought all they did was sit in a cage and make pretty sounds..?? boy, was I wrong. lol. He is out most of the day with us and has the run of the house and loves to help me sew. He is always taking the little red button off my foot lifter on my machine and losing it. I finally hid it on him. I wouldn't trade him for the world.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by baubo1234
I have a maroon bellied conure named Buddy. He says good morning, hello pretty baby, what a pretty boy, or baby, 'is that good?' when he eats yoghurt or bananas, kitty kitty, what's that?, mommeeeee at the top of his little lungs sometimes. He is so much fun, plays peek a boo,catch. He learned how to open every cupboard in my kitchen so we had to make bird proof locks with wire to keep him out. We got a new stove not long ago and he loves to crawl under the drawer and gets up inside and can't get out. So when we can't find him, we just say ....where are you? and he starts squawking in this little tiny voice. He is the first bird I have had and he was worth every penny of the $600.00 I paid for him. Sure never thought I would pay that for a silly bird. I always thought all they did was sit in a cage and make pretty sounds..?? boy, was I wrong. lol. He is out most of the day with us and has the run of the house and loves to help me sew. He is always taking the little red button off my foot lifter on my machine and losing it. I finally hid it on him. I wouldn't trade him for the world.
Can we see a picture of him? He makes me think of our Charlie(mynah bird) I used to have to cover the exhaust on my stove because I was afraid he would get stuck in it. He was fascinated with it and would stick his head in. He used to take a bath in a pie pan in my kitchen sink. He loved his bathtime!!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM

I have a yellow parakeet named Buttercup, and basically she's just a pain in my butt.
J/K, really, she's not interesting like some of your birds. She doesn't talk or anything, but if you run the water in the sink she babbles on, sometimes she just starts screaming for no reason. She tries to babble over the sound of Sasha's nintendo games ( to be fair, the final fantasy music drives me crazy too) and she can hold a pretty good conversation with my sewing machine, lol!
We do NOT let her out of her cage, she's not tame at all. She bites, and doens't really know how to fly very well since we don't let her out, so she'll fly right into the wall, or into the window, and my siamese cat would very much like to eat her for lunch. She's kept in a pretty big cage, high up in the living room.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Baren*eh*ked_canadian
I have a yellow parakeet named Buttercup, and basically she's just a pain in my butt.
J/K, really, she's not interesting like some of your birds. She doesn't talk or anything, but if you run the water in the sink she babbles on, sometimes she just starts screaming for no reason. She tries to babble over the sound of Sasha's nintendo games ( to be fair, the final fantasy music drives me crazy too) and she can hold a pretty good conversation with my sewing machine, lol!
We do NOT let her out of her cage, she's not tame at all. She bites, and doens't really know how to fly very well since we don't let her out, so she'll fly right into the wall, or into the window, and my siamese cat would very much like to eat her for lunch. She's kept in a pretty big cage, high up in the living room.
It takes alot of working with a bird to tame them. It is easier if you get one that is hand raised as opposed to one from a pet store.

But you could work with your Buttercup if you like. The biggest thing is to not be afraid of her and talk to her alot. She can get used to you being up close and you can tame her if you want to.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM

We use to have a timney african gray named Gandolph, my MIL has him now due to this was my husbands pet (I loved the bird by the way) and just like his last pet (a red tail boa) he got bored with it and stoped areing for him. I take care of all the animals ( 13 dogs and one cat, I am the one who just had the litter of 10 boxer pups) and I tried to make him be responcible for him and it got to the point I was caring for him also.
I suggested we give him to his mom since she fell in love with him and was looking to get one. We can at least see Gandolph, he has a crooked spine so his head is 99% of the time upside down.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48987.jpe   attachment-48988.jpe  
Old 04-08-2010, 04:09 AM

I have an African Grey and a Senegal parrot. Oliver - the grey - has a vocabulary of over 1000 words. I got him when he was 6 months old - will be 22 this year - bigger they are, the longer they live.
Oliver is very smart and uses entire phrases and answers questions! One funny story - DH used to have Wednesdays off and the Sunday paper was still on the floor on Wed. so I asked him nicely after complaining that the paper was still there to please take care of it. When I finished talking, Oliver said "Ah, shut-up!" We both cracked-up!!!
When my son was a teenager and the phone would ring, Oliver would call very loudly, "Philip telephone!"
The senegal could talk, but does not - he is very colorful though - oranges, greens, yellows.
I have also had cockatoos and a greenwing macaw.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 AM

I have a Quaker parrot that I got for Mother's day last year. I lost my fur baby after almost 17 years and DH doesn't want another dog so we got a bird instead. She was a hand raised baby and spends almost all of her time having the run of the house. She talks up a storm already and she only turned 1 last month.
She loves to help when I sew, I need to lock her out of the sewing room if I have to pin anything because she pulls them all out lol. She is scared of the dark but loves to play under quilts :?:
Abbie also loves to rub her beak on fabric and if the fabric doesn't make a noise she will make the noise for it. (rub your fingernail against some fabrics, sheets on the bed and cotton curtains make good noises LOL).
I clip her wings but not all the feathers so she still flys from room to room, she has her favourite things that she does with the kids and DH, she is a great pet and I wouldn't trade her .

Abbie having a bath
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49196[/ATTACH]

Snuggled up to DS
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49197[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49196.jpe   attachment-49197.jpe  
Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 AM

Heres my post about my bird. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-28842-1.htm He says, pretty bird, bangs his beak on his cage and says come in, says what are you doing, and wanna bite. He knows shave and a haircut and some other songs I dont know what they are. He loves to shimmy down the legs of his cage and walk around and yesterday oh my gosh it was so funny...see he has this hand towel and is very attached to it, well my daughter let her puppy play with it and here comes the bird FREAKING OUT and making all kinds of noise, walked right over to that towel flapping his wings and hissing at the puppy, wasnt one bit scared, but the puppy sure was. He likes to sit on your shoulder and I always know when someone pulls in the driveway, he can scream pretty loud sometimes. We love having him, hes so much fun and always has to be right there to see that you are doing.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I love to go in the pet shops and look at the birds. Went in PetCo and they had cockatiels in an open cage. You could interact with them if they were willing. It is so much fun! The pet store we used to go to isn't there anymore. They had birds that would sit on your shoulder and go with you through the store. They had a Cockatoo named Sonny that would hold a conversation with you. He was so funny! He would walk all over the cash register and ring up the numbers and just laugh!!
I don't know if pet store birds have the same problems as the puppies (from mills) that they sell but I'd steer clear of them! Have you tried your local animal shelter? They sometimes have parrots from owners who either didn't have the patience, or time, or whatever, to take care of them properly. I also wonder if there are any parrot rescue groups??