Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do you have pierced ears?

I finally had them done when I was in my middle 30s -- as a teen, no one in my group had pierced ears -- I grew up in the 50s and 60s
    diane

I have two piercings in each ear. Diamond studs in the top which I never take out, except to clean. I don't feel "dressed" if I don't have my earrings in. I'm 74 and it is one of those things that makes life fun, but I have a dear friend who doesn't wear earrings ever and it doesn't seem to bother her one bit. It is an individual preference, no right or wrong. My sister, who just turned 66, got a tattoo on the top of her right foot this past summer. It is very pretty, she said it hurt like the dickens; but she loves it. Life is short, much too short and so do what makes you happy.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I have 2 piercings in each ear, but it's rare that I wear the studs for the 2nd holes. What I find disconcerting is when mothers gets their toddlers ears pierced. I think that is just wrong, let them decide when they're older if they want pierced ears.

I have one in each ear...that was trauma enough! When I see some having piercings on eyebrows, nose, lip(s), once saw a wrist piercing, and those things they put in earlobe that eventually make large holes...I shutter and wonder where else that is unseen----and double shutter......I guess it matches all the body art that is also going on.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monika View Post
    Mine are pierced. Two in each ear. But I wear the same earrings ALL the time......I even sleep in all four. I have one pair that I have worn for over forty years, plain gold loops. I only take them out for surgery................:').............
    Mine are pierced too. I love my ear rings but changed them out. I wear them all the time , sleep with them, shower with them and even eat with them. LOL I have a pair given to Ive had in for over 17 years now. It was my anniversary and hubby bought them for and its the same day my mother passed away. I will never interchange them. I think of her everyday for the past 17 years and more.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Blog Entries
    I have one in each ear. A dentist pierced mine when I was about 18, using an ice cube. He was down the hall from the Law firm where I worked. My mother had two pair that I wanted to wear some day, a pair of ruby studs from South America that her brother gave her when she was young and a pair of dangling cameos. Mother passed away 24 years ago now, there is just my brother and I, so I got her jewelry. I wear the rubies fairly often only to Church, but have only worn the cameos a few times. I change my earrings almost daily as I do my crosses I wear, and usually just wear my earrings, my crosses, plus my wedding rings and anniversary rings, my watch and a stainless steel cuff bracelet with my name engraved on it which is expandable, that my grandmother made and gave me when I was about two years old. I am seventy years old now. All of my jewelry is simple and usually dainty, I don't care for heavy or gaudy stuff. DD has two in each of her ears, she wanted hers pierced when she was small, about 2nd grade our family Dr. did her first two. She had the other two done when she was grown. I have no problem with mine, but was told by the Dentist to start out with 14 k gold studs, and keep them in for at least 6 wks, cleaning daily with alcohol which I did.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 12-15-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Nope never did pierce mine. about a year ago when I had a haircut I had made appt to pierce them but chickened out at the last minute. I saw my step mother have lots of problems with hers and don't want to chance it. at age 74 why should I change now? once in awhile I do wear clip on ones.
    My first job was a receptionist at a small company. My boss had begun medical school until he ran out of money for school. I began getting cysts in my left ear as I was on the phone often. He told me get rid of the earrings and I would then get rid of the cysts. Yup he was right!

I had mine pierced when I was 11. Mom used an ice cube and a wig pin. I shudder every time I think about it. I had problems with my ears because I've since found out that I'm allergic to nickel. I'm so happy they finally came out with nickel free jewelry!
    Sharon in Tx
    Last edited by purplefiend; 12-15-2014 at 08:27 AM.

My mother pierced mine back when I was 16 and then for years I wanted a 2nd set of holes. Don't know why and after getting the 2nd set done I can't remember why I wanted them. It also means that I now have to buy 2 sets of ear rings for them.

When my mother was handing out her jewelry as she no longer wanted them, I got the diamond studs cause my older sister didn't have pierced ears at the time. Since them she has had them pierced but she waited till she was in her last 50's to get them done. Now she's eyeing the diamond studs.......:-)
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I don't. I have always said I have enough holes in my head as it is. (To say nothing of a low pain threshold.)

When I was younger and single, I thought I might do it if anyone ever bought me diamond studs. Of course, that didn't happen. Now, I am quite sure I would not get them done even if my DH gave me one carat studs!
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

Mine are pierced twice - 1st ones when I was 14 and the second piercing was when I was 18. I wear different earrings just about every day (at least every workday) but hardly ever in the 2nd piercing. I guess it takes too much effort and the 2nd holes seem to get irritated and itchy right away.

And I was raised Lutheran and never heard that it was against our religion. Hmm???

Mine aren't pierced and I am in my 70's. When I was a girl my mother told me only gypsies had their ears pierced. When I was in college all the girls in the dorm were holding ice cubes on their lobes until they were numb and then using a sewing needle, had another girl punch the lobe while holding a potato behind it. I opted not to go through that torture and never did get around having it done professionally. My only problem is that it is hard to find clip earrings.
    ​Jumpin' Judy

Blog Entries
    *** NO pierced ears.
    *** Was allergic to Gold for a while and was afraid my ear lobes would fall off.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    I don't. If God would have wanted me to have pierced ears, he would have made the holes.

My mother wouldn't let me get them pierced until I was 18. Guess where I headed with boyfriend on the morning of my 18th birthday. I like wearing pierced earrings better than clip-ons. Much bigger selection to choose from.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I do not have pierced ears and find it harder and harder to get clip style earrings. Nor, I will add, have any other piercings or tattoos.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eastslopequilter View Post
    I don't. If God would have wanted me to have pierced ears, he would have made the holes.
    YOU ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!! I told that to my grandchildren. They think I am nuts!!!! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    All my nieces have pierced ears. When they were younger, I got them earrings for their Christmases after they had their ears pierced that year. One of them was born in April (diamonds) but since she was just a baby at Christmas, they were little diamonds. Her parents were very careful with her ears when pierced. They cleaned her ears when they changed her diaper. With all the earrings, I had the jeweler make sure they were very secure backs.

I've got 6 holes in each ear, I wear 14 karat gold balls starting with small ones and the top and ending with a large one at the bottom. I had them pierced in high school then added the rest in 1975. I wanted to be different, I still get a lot of compliments on them. I only take the two bottom ones out to sleep.

I'm 71. Grew up with parents that said Catholics, loose women, gypsies, and women of the streets only had pierced ears. They said decent, God-fearing women didn't have holes in their ears! I aways loved diamonds and thought they would be so pretty to wear.
    So, when I was 25 and long time away from them, my friend talked me into letting her pierce mine with the ice cubes, sewing needle and thread, dipped in alcohol. I thought I was going to pass out when she did the first one and I jumped. She laughed and went ahead and did the other one!! She told me to turn the thread daily with alcohol so they wouldn't get infected. They didn't.
    So could only afford a gold pair of studs at that time. DH bought my first pair of diamonds! I was so happy but ended up losing those. He bought me another pair with backs that screwed on and I had them a long time. Never could wear the cheap, nickel ones because they made my ears swell up, get red and bleed.
    DH bought me another larger pair of diamonds with screw backs and I kept them a long time, like years and years. Rarely took them off. Six months ago, I had an MRI before back surgery and lost one while I was redressing. No one found it or reported they found it. I haven't felt well enough to go shopping for a new pair but when I do, they are going to be LARGE diamond ones! Right now I am just wearing gold hoops with a diamond on the front curve. They're pretty but I like studs better.
    What's funny is when my Mom was about 60, she decided to get hers pierced because she like the diamonds too. Go figure!!!

I was 40 when I got my ears pierced. When I was younger, I was afraid it would hurt, but then as I got older, there seemed to be no point to it. My friend and I met for the weekend of my 40th birthday, and I had just inherited a beautiful pair of antique diamond earrings and was having them appraised. We went to the mall after and she insisted she was making me get my ears pierced for my birthday gift because it would be a sin to own the antique earrings and not be able to wear them. The irony is I still don't wear those earrings because I'm afraid I'll lose them!
    I love the smell of Best Press in the morning!

Have had mine done for 46 years, added a second hole sometime along the way. Always have small stud earrings in, only thing I can wear at work. Have a screw back diamond in the second hole in the one ear. Do put 'dress-up' ones in when going somewhere.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

Mine have been pierced since 1967, done by high school classmate with ice, darning needle and a cork. It was a big fight with my mother to get it done as she believed pierced ears were the mark of a loose woman. But I have stuck to only one piercing and look positively conservative now. Everyone calls me ma'am!

Quote Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
    Got mine pierced in the late 60's when it was the rage at the time. Now don't wear them very often, unless I happen to remember. LOL People tell me that the holes will close up, but mine haven't.
    Same with me. My roommate in college (1967) did mine. She used ice cubes to freeze the earlobes. Boy, was that painful! Our other roomie had to stop the procedure because of the painful freezing. I wear earrings maybe 3 times a year. I used to wear small hoops all the time, but haven't for 20 years.

Blog Entries
    Mine are but idont wear earrings very often in them. People tell me they will close up never have and I go years without putting them in.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast