Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Know What Happened 100 years ago today? >

Do You Know What Happened 100 years ago today?

Do You Know What Happened 100 years ago today?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:46 PM

Today is the 100th anniversary of one of the worst workplace disasters in U.S. history--the Triangle Shiirtwaist Fire in New York City. It is an extremely sad story but every woman who has voted and every person who has ever worked in a factory owes the workers who lost their lives so much.

If you are like me, this isn't an event that was in any of my history books when I was in school. I feel such a connection with the story because many women in my family were garment workers as well as quilters. Read on if you want to know more. I'm paraphrasing from one of the links I am providing.

"Back in 1911, poor working conditions and long hours were standard for most factory employees — especially for female workers. Male unions and employers kept women out of better-paying jobs, forcing them into industries such as garment-making, where sweatshop conditions prevailed, pay was low, and employees had to pay for their cutting and sewing supplies. On March 25, 146 souls (mostly young immigrant women) died when a fire of unknown origins rapidly spread through the high-rise building building where the Triangle Shirtwaist Company was located.

The tragedy galvanized working women. Despite arrests and beatings, strikes across the nation increased, and union membership among garment workers surged. But more importantly female labor leaders demanded the vote for women so they could protect themselves by electing politicians who would pass laws to change the sweatshop conditions.

Out of public outrage, NYC officials imposed new laws — requiring strict building codes and inspections on sweatshops. Other cities and states did the same during the following years. Finally, the federal government, under the administration of Franklin D. Roosevelt, developed workplace safety measures — forerunners to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)."

If you want to know more, get out your tissues and read:

1) http://www.historybuff.com/library/refshirtwaist.html

2) http://www.gale.cengage.com/free_res...s/triangle.htm
Old 03-25-2011, 03:54 PM

Thank you for reminding us that someone somewhere worked for us to have the blessings we sometimes take for granted. We need to remember them by doing our part to keep opportunites open for all.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks for that information. My husband's mother and some of his aunts worked in the mills in New England. We have been in some of them now that they have the machines running for the museums. My gosh, you can't hear with one running so I can't imagine what it must have been like. If you ever get to Lowell, MA, there are great museums and even a quilt museum.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:30 PM

I did have a chance to visit Lowell a few years ago. It was a wonderful experience for this history buff.

The Shirtwaist fire and that visit inspired me to prepare an online history/economics lesson for high school students. If you know any teacher who might be interested in sharing the story of the fire with there students, have them go to http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/in...type=educator.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Power Poster

Thanks! I love history, will check out the links!
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

This was in our Chicago paper today..I love it when they remember important historical events..too many times these events just fade into the mist of time....