Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Where were you 9 years ago?

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    Just wondering - where were you 9 years ago on September 11?

I was in the northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan on vacation with just about my whole family, brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews, etc. We actually felt relatively safe up in the middle of practically nowhere.

But what a scary day that was!

Where were you and what were you doing?

Blog Entries
    I was at work in a high rise building. I used to keep a little 5" TV and turned it on when the first plane hit. I actually saw the 2nd plane hit. It was a very scary day and since we were in a high rise, a lot of people left to go home.

So much has happened since that day. I appreciate life so much more as a result of that day.

Walking my son to his kindergarten class.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I was cleaning out my flower bed when I noticed ppl going to their homes from work (it was to early for that many ppl to be around) that's when I knew something was wrong. So I ran in the house and turned on the TV and couldn't believe what I was seeing. We lived in Ca. at that time. Even DH came home early because all the government run places were shutting down for the day. I left the kids at school figured they didn't need to deal with the stress of it yet.

had been awake for a little while it was around5-6 am here when i turned the tv on the firstplane had just hit and I saw the second one hit ,i called my sister who lived done the street at the time.It was really hard to drop off my girls to school that day after seeing that then go to work

Banned
    I was in my office near where I live in NH when a colleague got a call from her daughter, at first we were thinking it was an air accident. I immediately went home, turned on the TV and screamed in horror as the second plane hit.
    I'm a New Yorker, born and bred, my son and several friends were often in the WTC for work,
    I just sat and wept awaiting phone calls to tell me the status pf everyone close to me. I still thank God they all were not there that day.
    I'm weeping again as I write this.

I was getting ready to go to class at the university. When I came out of class, I heard about the collapse of the buildings.

Blog Entries
    here in Colorado getting ready for work. My hubby was watching t.v., so i saw most of it happen before i left home. Not a good day at all!! :cry:

That Monday I was in the federal bldg in downtown Fort Worth waiting to be called for jury duty. A lady came in around 9 & asked if we'd heard about a plant flying into a bldg. Of course we had no way of hearing. Anyway when I was released around 2 pm, listened on car radio & was glued to tv at home. Next am (Tues) I had to drive downtown again & noticed all the parking meters were covered up. When I got into bldg, we were sitting in judge's chambers, heard loud speaker ask everyone to calmly & orderly leave the bldg by stairs. We were 3 flights up & going down U could feel the bldg shake. We then stood outside across street from bldg for 30 min. or so, then were asked to move further south down the street. I remember looking north of the street & seeing an officer with a dog going across street toward fed bldg. Later other threats to other fed bldgs had to be check out too. Later went back in & the trial had been settled. So I clearly remember that day!!
    I was also in downtown Dallas, only few blocks away when JFK was shot.

I was in Virginia Beach, VA.. I had just stepped into my kids elementary school to volunteer for the day when I was pulled into the office to see what had happened.. I got there just as the second airplane hit.

A lot of our kids in school had family working in DC at the time. It was not pretty watching families arrive to take their children home to prepare..

I was here at home and glued to the tv. I was told my neice was suppose to be at that location that week but didn't know what day! THANK GOODNESS she missed her flight!
    We should all be thankful everyday for what we have and the people in our lives no matter how bad it gets, at least we are still here!

Was getting ready for work, dashing between bedroom and bathroom. Heard the news report of the first plane, saw the second one when it happened. Sat on bed absolutely stunned! American flight #11 left from Boston; a number of years beforehand, I'd taken that flight over the course of four years for a work assignment. Staff at my company travel a lot, depending upon the project -- I remember thinking that we must have lost people on one or more of those flights.

Sad to say, but relieved in some respect, that we lost only the one individual, a man with the same last name but no relation (my last name is not that common). However, his project lost many government people that day. So very very sad. I don't think I'm 100% past it yet. I found that I ouldn't watch the tv special for several years, now I can't get enough information. My sadness has turned to a very deep anger at such evil.

Banned
    My anger was immediate and has never abated.

I was, and finally completed the last one last year, working on personalized lap quilts for 8 friends, all New Yorkers. I appliqued circles of fussy cuts that related to each friend,
    I downloaded a picture of the WTC bldgs with the sun shining between them in the shape of a cross and added it, untreated.
    They all know that if and when they launder the quilt the buildings will disappear.
    Seems a bit macabre now. I can report, however, that no one has yet washed her quilt.

I worked for BlueCross BlueShield at the time and we had several people lost-a gentleman in a wheelchair being only one of the many victims.

My branch of BCBS was not in the tower so I was at my desk when the first plane hit. I was home on my couch watching soon after. Cantor Fitzgerald was a client of ours and they lost almost everyone-very very sad day indeed.

My husband works for one of the construction companies that are building the new towers and it amazes me at what is going in to them!

It will always be a sad day for us-terrorism will never have a happy ending for anyone no matter where it may happen.

Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    I worked for BlueCross BlueShield at the time and we had several people lost-a gentleman in a wheelchair being only one of the many victims.

My branch of BCBS was not in the tower so I was at my desk when the first plane hit. I was home on my couch watching soon after. Cantor Fitzgerald was a client of ours and they lost almost everyone-very very sad day indeed.

My husband works for one of the construction companies that are building the new towers and it amazes me at what is going in to them!

It will always be a sad day for us-terrorism will never have a happy ending for anyone no matter where it may happen.

Hugs
    April
    April -
    Have they FINALLY decided what to build at ground zero? I heard something about a museum being built under the site but haven't heard anything, pardon the expression, concrete about any buildings above ground. Can you fill in some details? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I was working in a nursing home. We were in our main dining room helping our residents with their breakfasts. The TV was turned on to the Today Show. We just watched in disbelief at what was happening. :cry: Schools closed early that day so parents could pick up there children. I think I will always remember that horribly sad day. :cry:

Blog Entries
    I had just got back home from bringing my deceased Uncles ashes back from Canada. He had been killed in a car accident there. We got back just in time to see the second airplane crash :cry: And spent the rest of the day glued to the TV

I was just getting into my car for a road trip to NH. I was in the back seat because my son was only 9 days old. Heard something on the radio (down low). Told hubby to turn it up. As soon as we turned it up, they were saying that a second plane had just hit.

I was working in a nursing home, even the noisey patients were quiet that day. Strange.

On 9/11/01, I was just starting a new job with a defense contractor. We were supposed to spend the day in orientation meetings, but ended up watching the TV news, instead.

I was on my first cruise ship. in Hawaii. We went deep sea fishing that morning and didn't find out about it until 2 pm when we got back to the ship.
    We were on a 50 year old ship. The ship was use in the movie Affair To Temember. After 9-11 the line went under.We didn't get to visit Pearl Harbor on wed like was planned because the base was closed.
    We made our trip back home on Sat with long line and long waits.
    Since the ship was so old we didn't have all the Tv the ships do these days. So a lot of the information we didn't even get until we got home.

I was in teaching a high school algebra class and they called me to the office for a call I thought it was my husband calling to say happy anniversary It was our twentieth. But they wanmted all the teachers to know what was going on
    My husband and my uncle are both truck drivers who both drive daily through the part of Pennslyvannia that the third plane went down in. Of course living in New York we have family and friends who live and work in New York City

I was just settling down at my desk with a fresh cup of coffee. I worked in an office, a cubical farm of co-workers. Minutes later one of the girls popped up over the cubical and said she just got a call from her husband who said that a plane just hit one of the towers. As we all stood then to talk about the tragedy of that single event, she got a second call, it was her husband telling her there was a second plane and it struck the second tower. We all then tuned our radios to the same local news station, turned up the volume and spend the day trying to be productive but failing with every broadcast news update.

I wasnít here to experience Pearl Harbor and too young to remember the assassination of J.F.K., but I will never NEVER forget September 11, 2001.

I was at home drying my hair when the news came on. Because of the optical illusion of the picture, I thought it was a small plane with an idiot for a pilot and went to work. I stayed at work all day and listened to the news on the radio. To this day, I have never watched all the scenes of people jumping or the whole scene with the other plane hitting etc.

Blog Entries
    same town, same road, same house...did you hear Donald Trump offered to buy the lot they want to build the temple on...he was turned down...no offense to anyone,

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast